On the Cusp and Time of Birth

Subforum for discussion of astrology-related topics
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

On the Cusp and Time of Birth

Postby Crystal Dragon » 18 Nov 2006, 12:48

On the Cusp is a term used to describe those born on a day when the Sun changes sign, i.e. from Aries to Taurus, Taurus to Gemini, etc. and NO the Sun does not conveniently change sign at the stroke of Midnight or at Noon.

I am born on such a day and for many years I was very  :???:   Even today, depending on which newpaper, magazine or publication I happen to be looking at, my horoscope varies between two signs, namely Leo and Virgo. I used to read both and pick the best forecast, we all like to be told we are going to have a good day or that there is a nice surprise on the way.  I tended to think when I was much younger, that I was a Leo but it never really felt comfortable.  

If you look at the zodiac glyph in my details on the left, it shows me as being a Leo. The reason for this is that my time of birth is not taken into consideration by the software being used, I am in fact a Virgo.

Time of Birth
Personally, I always take the time of birth as being when a baby takes its first breath, it then becomes an independent living being. The time of birth is very important when preparing a persons birth/natal chart but sometimes it is not known or the time given is incorrect resulting in an inaccurate chart and reading. A common cause for this happening being that if the time of birth is recorded, it is often done sometime after the birth and not actually when the baby is born. Picture the scene, a busy midwife or doctor delivering a baby, the last thing on his or her mind is looking at a watch or clock to see the time, so the time could be done an hour or more later and this will affect a persons chart.

When I do readings for people I always say, if something doesn't feel right with my interpretation please tell me as the time of birth may be wrong. This is not a major problem as it is possible to work this out by talking to the client and working with them.

At the time of my birth, the Sun had entered Virgo by just 4 minutes - I was a difficult delivery and the time of my birth was noted. The time was questioned by my first astrology teacher but as she got to know me she confirmed that I was definitely a Virgo, it felt right for me and it taught me so much about myself. I also have a Virgo Ascendant and Moon.

Our Sun sign is our inner drive, the Ascendant sign is the way we appear to others and the world, the Moon sign affects how we deal with our emotions.

A persons birth chart is like a snap shot in time but from the moment you are born it continues to move throughout your life, it becomes a living, evolving, changing thing. Just one small example of movement, the Ascending sign changes every 2 hours so you can see why an accurate time is important. The Sun, Moon, Planets, etc. are also continually on the move all be it at different speeds.
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 26 Dec 2006, 23:28

I also was born on the cusp and was recently given my natal chart as a gift for my birthday.  It is astounding how accurate it is really. Certainly, some parts are just not as dead on as others.  But, it made a huge difference knowing the time and place of my birth and sure explained a lot about "me" that I had always wondered "why".
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 27 Dec 2006, 02:25

I'm on the cusp as well. I'm actually an  Aquarian, and a very typical one, but my birthday falls more often in Pisces. The sun was actually still in Aquarius when I was born. When someone uses either very accurate software or does my chart by hand, it shows Aquarius. General ones show Pisces.

Because of this I tried to figure myself out as a Pisces for a long time - just didn't fit.

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Postby Crystal Dragon » 27 Dec 2006, 12:53

Hi Kat Lady,

I was pleased to read that  the Natal Chart you were given as a birthday present answered some questions for you. Some of the areas that do not seem correct at present might be yet to come or they may have already been and gone - hope that makes sense. As we go through life we encounter all sorts of different things that may be shown in our chart but at different stages of our life as the chart progresses.

My old astrology teacher nearly had a fit when I said I was born 'on the cusp'. Her view was that there was no such thing, a person is either one sign or another, even when the sun changes signs on the same day and from experience and as the years go by I have to say that I am beginning to agree with her.

Like Donata and myself have found, when you get an accurate chart it is like pieces of a jigsaw falling into place and it just begins to feel right.

When you have had time to really study your Natal Chart, you might find it interesting to get an up-to-date chart done. The Natal Chart always forms the basis but seeing where the Planets, etc. are now and the relationships to your Natal Chart can also be very revealing  :)
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

Return to “Astrology”