Rune Reading list

Subforum for the study of Runes
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
SeaRaven
OBOD Bard

Postby SeaRaven » 17 May 2007, 12:23

Hey Fellow-"Runers",

I subscribe to most what has been said concerning Ralph Blum & Co and share most of the recommendations.

For those capable of the german language I'd like to add the following:

Gardenstone: Germanische Magie
I guess its still a good and thorough place to start, especially if you're inclined to work magically or/and shamanically(interesting parallels concerning the Nine Worlds and quabalistic journeying for example which invite for further studies)

For female runers (but not restricted to the female gender of course :) ):
Inanna "Das Runenbuch für Frauen"
ok - there a some feminist blablabla-passages in there (sorry...but sometimes too much for me :blink: ) but anyhow there are lots of good ideas how to work with runes in daily life and during the monthly cycle.

And then a very useful introduction for beginners, texts are very applicable, provides with good ideas and outlines of each runes' concepts in a very practical way (concerning how to interpret the runes):
Heike Schmidt "Das Runen-Orakel"
forget about the accompanying runeset though, its rather "simple" and not very attractive but as you all know, its best choice to create an own set anyhow  :old: .

For those of you, following some sort of Wiccan Runic Path, this one might be a good company...and its in Englisch, yes!!!
Silver RavenWolf & Nigel Jackson "Witches Runes" book with (beautiful) runecards...ok this is not a traditional "pure" view, its crossover, but does provide some very usefull insights (IMHO)

Vana- und Asenheil,
By Wing and Stone,
SeaRaven
 :ravena: :awen:  :eaglehead:  :grey:

Maeva
OBOD Ovate

New arrival from Switzerland

Postby Maeva » 29 Aug 2008, 18:52

Howdy to all,
I am new on the trade and have been "peeping" around this Rune Study Group for a little while. Dunnow exactly how it works, so I figured I'd introduce myself, so I feel more a part of it, even tho I am away from the computer for long periods of time, when traveling.
I have studied/meditated on and used the Runic Workbook by Tony Willis with my rune stones for a year or two. I'd like to get a bit more practice and knowledge on this divination art.
I also ordered the Runic Tarot (Smith/Astrop) so I can have them as a deck (easier to spread than irregular stones).
Any advice or suggestion welcome!
In love and light,
Marlise
Celtic Artwork - Dog Portraits
http://www.thehoundspage.webs.com

Eilthireach
OBOD Druid

Re: New arrival from Switzerland

Postby Eilthireach » 02 Sep 2008, 07:25

Hello Maeva!

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your introduction!
I'm from Bavaria / Southern Germany, not too far away from you!

I never heard about Tony Willis and just looked him up on the web. It is fascinating how many rune books are out there!

What sometimes frustrates me a bit about the runes is that practitioners sooner or later find their own personal access to the runes, which is good, but makes conversation a bit difficult. Ask three people about rune meanings and you will get three different responses.

Greetings to Switzerland,

Eilthireach /|\.

I wish to learn the things that are
and understand their nature
and to know God.
(Corpus Hermeticum I,3)

linden
OBOD Druid

Re: Rune Reading list

Postby linden » 04 May 2010, 00:18

i've done a little work and research with the elder futhark, but am really interested in the anglo saxon's interpretation and use of runes. does anyone know any good, practical books or sites on this?

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 04 May 2010, 12:49

Have you looked here?
http://englishheathenism.homestead.com/runes.html
Most books do seem to focus on the Futhark more than the Futhorc.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 05 May 2010, 12:05

Another place to look is the book list here:
http://www.asbooks.co.uk/

Go to the Subject List button on the left
and then choose Runes 2/3 way down the page.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

linden
OBOD Druid

Postby linden » 05 May 2010, 23:46

thanks for the links DaRC, i've ordered a couple of books that look good today.

MiriamSPia

Tricks of the Trade

Postby MiriamSPia » 01 Nov 2010, 21:37

....reading people's posts causes me to imagine the following: people decades or even a century into the future reading works about 20th and 21st century druidry...someone very insightful writes:

"...although ogham is still the official coded language and divinatory language of the druids of the period, a large portion of them are actually using the Scandinavian futhark. Ethnic inter-breeding and the history of international publishing are the most probable causes of this reality...."

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 01 Nov 2010, 21:40

i've done a little work and research with the elder futhark, but am really interested in the anglo saxon's interpretation and use of runes. does anyone know any good, practical books or sites on this?
Just get some and try them. It is doesn't "click" for you then maybe just don't.

Arth Seren
OBOD Ovate

Postby Arth Seren » 30 Aug 2011, 12:48

I've come accross a book I'm enjoying called Wyrdworking by Alaric Albertsson. It's primarily a book about Anglo Saxom sorcery but places a huge emphasis on the runes and the Anglo Saxon rune poem. Very interesting reading.
Arth Seren
(Formerly Naiyah Sionnach)

ImageImageImageImage
2007 BS
2010 LI
2012 IL
2012 SB

ImageImageImage

Silverleaf_Willow
OBOD Ovate

Postby Silverleaf_Willow » 31 Aug 2011, 01:12

I've come accross a book I'm enjoying called Wyrdworking by Alaric Albertsson. It's primarily a book about Anglo Saxom sorcery but places a huge emphasis on the runes and the Anglo Saxon rune poem. Very interesting reading.
I've just received my copy of Wyrdworking that I ordered through Amazon.com. :yay:
I can't wait to get started!
-silverleaf willow-

ImageImage

Arth Seren
OBOD Ovate

Postby Arth Seren » 01 Sep 2011, 10:14

Excellent - Enjoy!!! :D
Arth Seren
(Formerly Naiyah Sionnach)

ImageImageImageImage
2007 BS
2010 LI
2012 IL
2012 SB

ImageImageImage

CleddauGal
OBOD Bard

Re: Blum's (first) Book

Postby CleddauGal » 08 Oct 2012, 15:06

A friend gave me Blum's first book long after I had borrowed it from the library and started using it. She also lent me her carving tools so I could make my own wooden runes.

[quote="Hefeydd"]I purchased a set of runes a few years ago with a book written by Ralph H. Blum called "The Book of Runes".  Anyone heard of it?  Is it worth reading or referencing, or should I use it to prop up a table leg and start over?  I plan on trying to find some of the books mentioned above, but I wanted to know if what I had would at least get me headed in the right direction.

I know not everybody likes Blum or his methods of coming up with his meanings, but I have had remarkable success with accessing my own understanding of my joys and obstacles with this book. That being said, run, don't walk from his other books---Runes for Love and Romance or whatever it's called. I think he went from sincere introspection to money making, very sad.

(probably should have asked someone who had a clue before, but at least I have some runes to work with........)

I also have some of Nigel Pennick's work.

Good luck!
CleddauGal /|\

"What we want to change we curse and then
pick up a tool. Bless whatever you can
with eyes and hands and tongue. If you
can't less it, get ready to make it new."
--Marge Piercy, from "The Art of Blessing the Day"

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 08 Nov 2012, 19:00

There's one, extremely simplistic and by no measure complete or historically sound book :grin: , that I keep coming back to as my main point of reference: Andy Baggott's "Runes".

Somehow, it's minimalistic approach, when surpassed, gives enough background to start divining it's meaning, but also leaves enough open so i'll can do my own interpretation and build my own relation with the runes. Don't take it as a complete and literal guide, but used as a simple steppingstone to growing your own insights, I like it.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

Golden Harps are like cookies, you can never have just one
Sacred spaces and places

Return to “Rune Study Group”