Futhark vs ogham?

Subforum for the study of Runes
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
curcumambulation

Re: Futhark vs ogham?

Post by curcumambulation » 06 Feb 2012, 05:38

This is quite fascinating -- about the giants -- I will meditate on what you've said awhile to see what comes up for me.

I've just double checked the writing I've found in the mountains and they look just like ogham runes. It wont let me post them here, I can email you the pics if you feel ok about it or let me know someone who would be interested in seeing them. They are just as old or older than the Native petroglyphs just next to and on top of them. I would like a second opinion on them, I just don't konw who to ask or where to send them. Maybe you or someone else might know a professional who can take a look, I'd really love to have this solved.
Thank you!

May all be at rest and peace with you.
As the atavistic-adamantine, I bring forth the quintessential and irrevocable predication of sublime intervention toward the dissemination of the pernicious class that has inseminated itself upon the spiritual, to irrevocably bring it to inevitable end.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Post by illion » 06 Feb 2012, 05:58

Dear Curcumambulation.

I would be really happy if you pm'ed me those pictures. I don't like giving out my e-mail address. I hope that is ok with you?

Blessings on your path
:warm:
Image Image

curcumambulation

Post by curcumambulation » 06 Feb 2012, 07:18

illion, I respect that.
The files are too large and will not pm.
I could set up a photobucket account, it may take a few days for me to get to it. I'll post a link when I get time to do that.

May you always find beauty where ever you go.
As the atavistic-adamantine, I bring forth the quintessential and irrevocable predication of sublime intervention toward the dissemination of the pernicious class that has inseminated itself upon the spiritual, to irrevocably bring it to inevitable end.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Post by illion » 07 Feb 2012, 07:49

Oh, I didn't think of the problem with the size of the files and pm, I should have known.

I didn't mean to make so much work for you. If you want to upload it to photobucket, I would be very glad, but I do understand if you think it is too much work.

Blessings
:warm:
Image Image

CleddauGal
OBOD Bard

Post by CleddauGal » 08 Oct 2012, 15:33

Father Lynx wrote:I always felt very connected to the Futhark, being a German of Germanic descent mostly. When I first encountered them as a teenager, the runes felt like old friends to me. I never had the same feeling with Ogham and also have trouble learning signs that often differ only by the number of "branches", as I am pretty bad with numbers. I like the tree connection though and all the trees can be found in Germany as well.
Yes, there is something about the futhark that is more pictorial rather than numerical, so that Uruz is an Auroch, a wild ox still extent in medieval times, much more like the Chinese and Japanese characters that are based on simple pictures. Maybe it has to do with the predominant way our brains our wired?

But I was glad to see another person say that they felt guilty, like they "should" use the ogham. I felt that way myself! But looking at the interpretation in Penny Billington's book, M, G, Ng, SS and R are all flat lines. How are you supposed to tell them apart?

CleddauGAl
CleddauGal /|\

"What we want to change we curse and then
pick up a tool. Bless whatever you can
with eyes and hands and tongue. If you
can't less it, get ready to make it new."
--Marge Piercy, from "The Art of Blessing the Day"

Boadicea
OBOD Bard

Post by Boadicea » 21 Aug 2013, 01:41

I use both, but if I had to pick one over the other... Well... In terms of beauty and mystery, I'd pick the Ogham. In terms of being able to interpret the oracle, I'd pick the runes. I have been working with the Ogham for about a year now and I must admit that the meanings still just completely boggle me. I have quite a few books on their meanings - good, respected works by respected authors, I might add; however, I just cannot seem to get into the mindset of a tree. Perhaps another thing that makes it a bit difficult for me is that of the twenty sacred tree species, I can only access one or two of them whilst walking on foot from my house around the neighborhood. Those that I have been able to find and spend time with, I've come to understand with great depth, but to not be able to see the other tree species, what they look like, and to not be able to spend time around them makes it very hard to understand them. So far, my deepest and clearest connection is with birch. For some reason I've noticed that the descriptions of the meanings are easier to understand in some of those Ogham versions they sell in bookstores where the staves are actually cards instead. As for the runes, I'm usually able to interpret the readings I do with them accurately and quickly.

Kaida
OBOD Bard

Post by Kaida » 27 Jul 2015, 06:06

I apologize if I'm necroing this, but most of the topics in this sub board seem to be dead, so I wasn't sure if I should make a new one or respond to an old. If I'm breaking a policy about this, I'd appreciate someone telling me so I can learn. ^^;

As for the topic, I'm very interested in both, I want to learn ogham, as well as futhark, but at present I only have a set of futhark stones. On the one hand, I actually enjoy reading them more. The feeling of the smooth stone on my hands. Sometimes it feels like I can feel an energy from them in their cold touch. I also find it's a bit easier for me to remember the names of the different runes since some of them vaguely resemble English letters, and have those letters in their name, like Fehu.

I do like the idea behind the ogham being on their native wood, but they come in such a variety and most of it isn't local to me, and I feel like it's a little disingenuous or disrespectful somehow to carve the symbol for another tree on the dead wood of another. I don't know, I'm probably being silly about it. ^^;
"Be like a tree, let the dead leaves drop."
~Rumi

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Post by DaRC » 28 Jul 2015, 20:39

Don't worry about adding to old topics :D it's always good to recycle.

With the Runes it's worth thinking about carving some for yourself too, both the Runes and Ogham were carved on wood.
For the Runes it was on a fruit bearing tree, traditionally.
For the Ogham I wouldn't get hung up on the tree associations, they are a source of discussion anyway. It's worth taking time to understand the symbols and your own landscape and then find out your own corresponding tree/plant Ogham.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Return to “Rune Study Group”