Bindrunes

Subforum for the study of Runes
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Bindrunes

Postby Jingle » 04 Jul 2010, 03:49

Has anyone here ever made their own bindrune?
If so, please post a pic!

Here's mine:
Image Image
How it looked on paper and when the ink was still fresh.

I'm writing a series of poems about each of the main runes in the bindrune. Some are in eddic or skaldic meters, others are more free (custom meters) and I'll post them in threads for the different runes.
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Re: Bindrunes

Postby Serpentia » 04 Jul 2010, 19:03

That's interesting, and nicely done, too. Thank you for sharing and yes, I do use bindrunes but I'm not going to put them on a public forum, their use is rather personal. I put my personal runes together into one bindrune and put that on my staff. Funny, most people don't even notice them.. they're good at that.

I hope your work with the runes will be rewarding!

Serpentia
dancing to the tune of Perthro, still
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Freya38

Postby Freya38 » 11 Jul 2010, 19:09

Wow, nice bindrune!

When my son went on schooltrip to the sea for a few days, I gave him a bindrune with Algiz, Wunjo and Raido, for protection, joy and a good journey (when my english is not very good, I'm sorry, I'm from the Netherlands). I used a shell for drawing the bindrune on, as a connection with the sea.
When my son came back, he told me he had a great time without any problems. Before that he always was homesick. With thanks to the Runes!

Blessings,
Evelien

MPutnam
Location: The land over the sea, halfway between the mountains and the shore

Postby MPutnam » 04 Apr 2011, 21:30

I have just entered the world of runes and bindrunes but I have a few that I am selling on my website.
The picture is of these three titled "The Driver's Crown", "The Chalice of Inspiration" and "The Traveler's Path"
Attachments
three necklaces.jpg
three necklaces.jpg (42.75 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
Michael Putnam, Owner/Operator :daraoi: http://www.hornsofherne.artfire.com
Well, if we knew who he was, he wouldn't be Merlin, now would he?
:acorns: :awen: :acorns:
Image Image
2011 BS 2012 BS

Dragonwyst
OBOD Bard

Postby Dragonwyst » 26 Apr 2011, 15:03

interesting! I am not ready to make any bindrunes yet. I am still learning my runes, using the first 24 of the Anglo-Saxon futhorc. I am letting the runes reveal them selves bit by bit.

mantis
OBOD Bard

Postby mantis » 27 Apr 2011, 13:32

My wife a couple of years ago,got told by a psychic that something may happan to our daughter when she is 8(she was on February).This has really got to her.I had a couple of visions to confirm that this could be true,but also it could be diverted.
So my wife(whose a wiccan) and I (worked with Runes for a few years now),performed a ritual to create a bindrune.For our daughter to carry on her at all times when she is not under our care.
This may seem a little far fetched but forewarned is forearmed.

Haye

Postby Haye » 27 Apr 2011, 14:22

@Jingle
You made yourself a bindrune tattoo? Wow! That's awesome!

I never made any bindrunes yet, for I mentioned how strong one single rune can be. I never know how to release them when I think it's time to change (hope everyone understands my english :wink: ). But well.. maybe it's time for me to start with bindrunes :D

Haye

Btw Mantis, how old is your daughter now?
I'm not the princess but the pea! Image

mantis
OBOD Bard

Postby mantis » 28 Apr 2011, 15:51

The bindrune has been working for now 3 months,so a way to go.It will be re charged every so often.

Conn

Postby Conn » 08 Jul 2011, 07:40

Yup, I make bindrunes every now and then, both for myself and for my clients... Sometimes because a bindrune is more precise, sometimes because it's good for some purposes (e.g. Othala/Berkano) and sometimes because Freyja likes when there is a Ansuz-Laguz-Sowelo stone around. ;)

I can't post a pic, though, since bindrunes (runes also) are temporal and after using them I tend to leave them (or rather they "leave" themselves, i.e. I usually lose them on the way back from the woods ;)) after ritual. Every bindrune I create is for specific time, purpose and object.

Ah, and if I'm gonna ever get tatooed with a rune/bindrune, it must be all Futhark - using only one/some runes is a focus and bias on some specific aspects of the journey. Wouldn't want to live a straightforward life... ;)
I exist to cease.
2011 LI

Hairy Woman

Postby Hairy Woman » 08 Nov 2011, 06:47

Hello everyone, I'm interested in making my own bindrunes and thought I should probably ask in this topic rather than start another very similar one. Are there any rules for making them, e.g. What if you have Eihwaz and Laguz? How would you incorporate them together: beside each other, or would you make the top right stroke longer? Does it make a difference? Another example: does it change a rune's meaning to 'reverse it', such as Wunjo or Thurisaz facing left instead of right.

I have read that they are very powerful and that I should be careful, but I've also read that you can't create curses by making bindrunes. Is it that the effects you wanted might be too stong, such as make one to attract a lover and suddenly get sixteen? :-)

Usually I see the runes layered on top of each other, but have also seen some very elaborate patterns. What difference, if any, does this create? Love your tattoo by the way, Jingle, if you ever read ths comment!
Last edited by Hairy Woman on 08 Nov 2011, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
--Although I try to thoroughly check my work, hilarious and non-sensical typos may result in longer posts due to a shoddy laptop keyboard--

--Chase the numinous. --

Conn

Postby Conn » 08 Nov 2011, 09:35

Hey,
About Eihwaz and Laguz - really, Laguz is already incorporated into Eihwaz. But if you want to make it clear, just draw mirrored Laguz and that should do the trick. ;)
It doesn't really matter, when creating a bindrune, whether you draw one of the elements in mirrored position or upside down. This idea, that it would change meaning comes from XIX/XX century esoterics. If you don't believe me, just look at the Ægishjálmur (The Algiz Shield ;))). When creating a bindrune sometimes you must mirror something or put it in unusual position.

And yes, you can create curses with bindrunes. As with all complicated things "one word" wouldn't be enough, hence specific bindrunes to make someone suffer. Alas, I won't explore this topic further, for obvious reasons.

When you create a bindrune just stick to one goal: as few new lines as possible. That will make you a good bindrune. How do you do it - it's your call.;)
I exist to cease.
2011 LI

fulbert-avebury
OBOD Bard

Postby fulbert-avebury » 08 Nov 2011, 18:53

For those of us (or at least me) who may not know much about bindrunes, can somebody explain a little about them?
Thanks.

Jeffrey

Conn

Postby Conn » 08 Nov 2011, 20:40

Hey,
Bindrune is simply a graphical form that is made of two or more runes drawn "as one". When you connect some runes you get a bindrune. The art of making bindrunes can be tricky one, because that some runes already "have" some aspects when you try to create specific bindrune (just like my example with Eihwaz and Laguz).

In the old days one could make a runespell (bindrune) when he drew a vertical line, and runes along that line. Later it became popular to "put one on top of another" - the less new lines the better.
Usually bindrune consists of two or three runes.

Hope that helps - if you have further questions, do not hesitate - ask away. :)
Blessings,
C.
I exist to cease.
2011 LI

fulbert-avebury
OBOD Bard

Postby fulbert-avebury » 09 Nov 2011, 04:35

Thanks, Conn. That was very helpful.

Jeffrey

Return to “Rune Study Group”