Fehu

Subforum for the study of Runes
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
JSheets443
OBOD Bard

Fehu

Postby JSheets443 » 04 Nov 2010, 05:03

I was kind of hoping that someone else would start this up but since that didnt happen I will take DaRC's recommendation and start this up with Fehu. I do not claim to know a lot about runes, to be honest I am brand new to this which is why I am posting this. I realize there are hundreds of websites and references for what each of the runes mean. What I post is just what I feel or what I have found and read that each rune means. Also I would like to know how you all use them in your divination. How do you "cast" the runes are there specific layout.

Fehu F: stands for Domestic cattle, or wealth. Personal wealth, things like money and property. The tangible aspects of wealth.

Fehu Reversed : pesonal loss of a physical nature, loss of income, or property or something that you can tangibly feel and or control.

Any other insights or help would be greatly appreciated.
Image Image Image Image Image

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Fehu

Postby DaRC » 04 Nov 2010, 12:12

Fehu - is the first of the runes and is tied to Freyja's Aett (8). Most people relate the first of each of the Aett's to the god(ess) whose aett it is, so fehu is tied to Freyja. Freyja is linked to love, beauty, gold and fertility. She's also linked to Seidr (witchcraft or being a seer), war and death (she claims half the war dead). So here we have the mixed fortune that is wealth - cattle were linked to dowry's and thus marriage wealth. This is a very physical and practical wealth.
As it relates to Cattle it also relates to Audhumla, the Primal Cow who appears in the creation myth from the mix of fire and ice, she produced 4 streams of millk from her udders to nourish the primal giant Ymir (who becomes Middle Earth), she then licked primal ice-blocks, which were salty, and produced the primal god Buri (Odin's grandfather). Astronomically it can be linked to the Milky Way.

The Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem has this...
"Wealth is a comfort to all men; yet must every man bestow it freely, if he wish to gain honour in the sight of the Lord."
The Icelandic Rune Poem has this...
"Wealth: source of discord among kinsmen and fire of the sea and path of the serpent. "
It's interesting to note here that another of Freyja's names is Mardoll ("shining sea" or the "one shining over the sea" or perhaps "fire of the sea") .

In divination I relate this to money or material wealth, for cattle were money when the runes were created.

For casting the runes Tacitus is a good place to start when describing the early Germanic tribes, I have replaced the words lots & signs with the word runes so it all makes a lot of sense...
"For omens and the casting of runes they (DL - the Germanic tribes) have the highest regard. Their procedure in casting runes is always the same. They cut off a branch from a fruit-bearing tree and slice it into strips; these they mark with different runes and throw them completely at random onto a white cloth. Then the priest of the state, if the consultation is a public one, or the father of the family if it is in private, offers a prayer to the gods, and looking up at the sky picks up three strips, one at a time, and reads their meaning from the runes previously scored on them..."
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Return to “Rune Study Group”