Deja Vu or have I been here before?

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Deja Vu or have I been here before?

Postby Heddwen » 14 Sep 2010, 17:05

I read somewhere that having a deja vu experience, or, more significantly a cluster of deja vu eeperiences meant that you were supposed to take notice of something happening in your life right there and then, which may not be connected to the actual deja vu experience itself. I've noticed that I tend to get a cluster around the equinoxes and they tend to be accompanied by more intense dreams too. I'm aware that I'm probably more 'open' around the festivals and lunar phases, so perhaps this is the reason. Also I noticed that my mum and my daughter get clusters the same time as me.

I would love to know the deja vu experiences of others and any explanations would be great :shrug:

katie bridgewater

Re: Deja Vu or have I been here before?

Postby katie bridgewater » 14 Sep 2010, 18:06

Deja vu is a very common phenomena experienced by most people at some time or another. It happens when the brain routes sensation or experience through the long term memory areas and we experience something as a memory at the same time as we experience it in the present. Thus we think we remember what is still happening to us, whilst not being able to recall the source of that memory. It occurs more frequently when we are tired, or our brain is under some kind of stress. It is very difficult to induce in a laboratory although some people have claimed they can using hypnosis.

Personally I don't ascribe any particular meaning to these experiences, other than that they are quite strange and provide me with an out-of-the-ordinary perception for a few moments (which can be nice or nasty depending on all kinds of things). IMO It's wise to pay attention to the things happening in our lives regardless whether we have just experienced any deja vu or not.

My advice is not to worry about what it all means, just make sure you're getting enough mental rest, pay attention to things going on in your life anyway, and enjoy the whizzy sensation of your brain playing tricks on you! :)

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 15 Sep 2010, 15:49

Interesting explanation and thanks.

I was looking at the 111/1111 post by Rose in this section and this is what I was trying to convey as 'clusters'. I'll get a series of the same situations, names or events that crop up to the point where I'm thinking " here's another one".It's a bit like when you are thinking about someone and they phone, only it happens more than once.

Perhaps they are not technically termed deja vu experiences. They could be synchronictiy, my projections or my wishful thinking based on suggestability...well, that's my logical mind talking! My spiritual self would, however, consider that there could be some significance in the cluster at these times. I'm sure others must experience this too.

:thinking:

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 15 Sep 2010, 17:04

Katie,

I like your explanation of deja vu. It makes sense. This is something I have never researched.

James
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Postby wyeuro » 16 Sep 2010, 04:01

coincidentally, i'm experiencing a cluster of deja vu moments, some quite persistent - more than a whole second at a time while i register surprise.and it is associated with spectacular events going on around me that i might be inclined to go into denial over - and it's good stuff when i look for it. so i'm interested in that idea that, heddwyn.
I've noticed that I tend to get a cluster around the equinoxes and they tend to be accompanied by more intense dreams too. I'm aware that I'm probably more 'open' around the festivals and lunar phases, so perhaps this is the reason.

sorry i can't add any insight. but yeah, katie, it's a lovely piece of harmless strangeness, whatever it is.
wyverne /|\

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 16 Sep 2010, 11:42

Hi Wyverne, thank the gods I'm not the only one! :shake:

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Postby wyeuro » 17 Sep 2010, 00:36

fellow feeling! :shake: :grin:

helenoftheways

Postby helenoftheways » 03 Nov 2010, 17:46

Hmm....you may or may not be interested in my take on déja vu.

I had a lot of these experiences up until the age of 40 (and not only when I was tired!) I knew exactly what was going to happen & what someone was going to say.

Then at 40, I made a life changing decision that set me off on a completely different course - a decision that in fact I never thought I would have the strength to make, but I did. After this time, I have never had another déja vu experience! Which, in hindsight, started me thinking...deeply! :thinking:

Well you've all heard of, and may subscribe to, reincarnation - being an Egyptian priestess etc in the previous life - but my theory now is that we repeat this life over & over again, or perhaps all at the same time in a parallel universe.. I believe that the path that I've taken in the present life is one that I've never taken before, thus the inability to experience déja vu! :idea:

What do you think of this theory then?? :whistle: Does it resonate?
Change the way you see things, and the things you see will change.

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Postby wyeuro » 04 Nov 2010, 01:22

:thinking: that's an enticing theory - inviting the way to some very interesting possibilities, especially about the nature of the 'self'.

now that you mention it, my frequent experiences of deja vu, which i used to love, stopped at about the age of forty, after i had a series of very clear ones while living for a few months in a pyramid. it was a life-changing few months and involved dropping the trappings of a lifestyle i couldn't live but was 'expected' to or assumed to, in favour of striking out in brave new directions - ending up becoming a druid.

do you think the deja vu was the result of being stuck on the wheel of karma and doomed to repeat dreary, unproductive lives until some shift occurs to release us?
or may the parallel lives coincide for a few seconds to ensure that we know they are there? or . . . a million questions :-) !!!!
thanks for this intriguing seed thought.
wyverne /|\

Fox of the Oaks
OBOD Druid

Postby Fox of the Oaks » 04 Nov 2010, 08:01

I still at times have Deja Vu experiences, yet had that more frequently as a child.
I remember one time having a dream about a school assembly where a teacher got up on the stage to talk, then a day or two later, the event occurred, and I felt the familiar Deja Vu feeling, and then remembered the dream I had also had. So perhaps another cause may be premonitionary dreams.

I know it's popular these days to explain anything mystical as the brain's tricks, and while I can see the logic in this, I really can't see the enduring purpose to this, because well... everything is the brain's trick. I prefer direct truth of experience over rational explanations in a nice neat format.

In gentle flight,
PineRaven.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 04 Nov 2010, 15:03

All interesting theories and indeed you've introduced me to whole new thought threads there. I had never considered the past life/parallel universe theories before, Helen. I wonder, did you happen to notice the timing of the deja vu experiences? - solar, lunar, menstrual phases, festivals etc. Do you think that the life changing experience, perhaps a dramatic one heralded the drop in deja vu? Perhaps it was the stress of the situation.

Wyeuro - I'm inclined to think that there is something in your theory. We all went through a major life changing experience as a family about ten years ago. It was about that time that my mum started to get increased clusters of deja vu, she was in her sixties then and my daughter and I followed. Perhaps it was to do with a strong female line in our family. The shift may have nudged us into some sort of communal thought pattern. Who knows?! It's interesting that your experiences stopped whilst ours increased.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 04 Nov 2010, 15:33

I'm posting separately as I keep losing longer posts!

I hadn't linked them with premonitionary dreams, Pineraven, but I certainly do go through phases of dreaming more vividly. Your combination of the dreams and the deja vu almost seems like a confirmation, it must have felt very strange when it happened.

That's all left me with loads of food for thought on the subject, my mind is now wandering along even more threads! I too subscribe to the view that it is more fruitful to pursue the truth of personal experience rather than to attempt to rationalise our experiences and (even worse) the experiences of others. Let's face it, you can get an explanation for everything on wiki. I see the art of the seer and the mysteries of the otherworld integral and essential within druidry. That's why I posted in this section.

In Peace, Heddwen

MBruce
Location: Inbetween the Adirondacks (NY) and Green Mountains(VT)

Postby MBruce » 14 Dec 2010, 05:30

The only times I've had that deja vu feeling like I've been here before is in the woods. My first time hiking trails in Vermont and the Adirondacks.
The deja vu feeling did occur after I've been hiking for awhile so like one of the posters said it occurs more often when we're tried. The other theory about living the same life over n over got me thinking since it was my first time on each trail maybe it was a memory from a past life.
"He who knows He has enough is rich" Lao-Tzu

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 14 Dec 2010, 13:30

Sounds like it was a profound experience. Deja vu in the woods...now that is total druidry.
:smgrove:

MBruce
Location: Inbetween the Adirondacks (NY) and Green Mountains(VT)

Postby MBruce » 15 Dec 2010, 03:32

yes very much druidry :grin: I still get the deja vu feeling on those trails now and then but not as strong as the first time.
"He who knows He has enough is rich" Lao-Tzu

eeepapillon

Postby eeepapillon » 14 Feb 2011, 01:58

Has anyone ever had a deja vu experience that lasted more than a few moments? Well, at least for me my deja vu only goes for a max of about 5 seconds and then the period is generally over. But mid last year I had a really odd deja vu experience, that lasted longer than any experience I've ever had:

I'd just gotten home from a full morning till evening day at uni, and that night we happened to have some aunts and uncles over to say hi, so the first thing I did was go into my room put my bags down and take off my shoes. I went to take off my first sneaker and the feeling of deja vu hit me; the combination of taking of a shoe and my aunt's distinctive laugh from the kitchen. Usually when I experience deja vu I stop and try to take it in till the feeling leaves - but on this occassion the feeling didn't go. Instead I was almost on the verge of repeating aloud "There's something else, something else is supposed to happen now" but I couldn't work out what it was. With one shoe on, I slowly started looking round the room for something that would tell me what else needed to happen and I started going toward my door and suddenly the doorbell rang. I thought "Yes! That happens, and then something else". I looked down the hallway to my brother's room and the feeling got stronger, he'd just bought a new wardrobe which he'd moved in while I was out and the way the light hit it was so familiar. Then I heard my dad's footsteps get louder and louder heading to the front door which was the thing I was waiting for and the deja vu ended. Turns out the person at the door owed me a $1 and it was a matter of national security to the person that the money was returned asap.

So any similar deja vu experiences here? I didn't read too much into it, but I just hadn't experienced anything like that before.

reilz81
OBOD Bard

Postby reilz81 » 12 Apr 2011, 07:16

my theory on daja vu is about time overlapping i believe that we could have future past lives aswell as past lives and i think these times of daja vu are when there is an overlap of the paralel i have had many daja vu experiences one of the most intruquing ones for me was one at a place i was doing volenteer work i was taking a test basically for a green card which is just to say you are safe to work in construction but anyway this daja vu happened and inside this one daja vu i was able to recall that i had had this daja vu several times it was like i had opened a door and there were more doors that opened it was a major head spin

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 23 May 2011, 16:10

a major head spin
sounds like my idea of a spiritual experience, now you're talking

Is it me or has anyone noticed a groundhog day experience manifesting in the meet and greet on this board?? hmmmm..

Bart
OBOD Ovate

Postby Bart » 23 May 2011, 19:59

The question is: how do you seperate the experience from the possible cause described by Katie. Since her take has been researched and found correct, it is a strong possibility that your brain is rerouting to slow. So how do you seperate rerouting issues, from past/future/paralel lives or messages from beyond?

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 24 May 2011, 00:03

Deja vu isn't the only type of re-routing that our brain does. The signals from the retinal cortex are also sent to 2 separate processing areas of the brain, one conscious and one sub-conscious. The subconscious signal goes fastest, allowing you to step over the dog-poo in the street even though you dodn't 'know' it was there, or dodge something flying past you before you become aware that you have seen it. This is sometimes perceived as 'psychic', but is in fact the same type of physical phenomenon as deja vu. We've all experienced this at some time, I expect. It's a fundamental life-saving function!
I just don't see the need to apply layers of unproveable, disputed and sometimes ridiculous interpretations to these amazing experiences. I find the amazingness of what is mindblowing enough! Wow!

Return to “Arts of the Seer”