Oracular Query

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
treegod
OBOD Druid

Oracular Query

Postby treegod » 18 Nov 2011, 23:38

I'm investigating a prompting from a dream.

Is there in any part of the world a form of oracular practice where the oracle sits behind a screen of some kind?

It's not oracular but Catholic confessional comes to mind, but I wanted look for other possibilities.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Oracular Query

Postby DJ Droood » 19 Nov 2011, 18:20

Wizard of Oz?? :)

Does ring a bell though...didn't some of the Classical era oracles have questions and answers relayed by priests?
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 20 Nov 2011, 13:55

I'm not sure if this helps, but I took part in a rebirthing ritual whereby new initiates were 'birthed' through a hole in a screen. We had to travel through a large birth canal first, then passed through the hole and were reborn into Avalon as trainee priestesses. There is a similar ritual described in 'The Witches Bible' by Janet and Stuart Farrar.
Also, the wearing of a veil is used when practising the ancient art of 'embodiement' whereby the priest/ess embodies the Godess and speaks as an oracle, the divine flowing through him/her. Veils are worn over the face and body for several reasons, to mark the change in identity mainly. This practise is regularly used and taught at the Goddess Temple in Glastonbury.
Finally when I practised with an eclectic coven we would cover the mirrors with material, I was told that this was because we don't like to see our reflection in ritual, although I have no idea for the reason for this.
Hope this helps in some way, I would be really interested in your thoughts too.This has got me thinking!

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 20 Nov 2011, 15:37

Thanks Heddwen, that sounds quite close. I'll have a look at the link between oracles and veils. Anything like curtains, partitions, screens etc could be relevant.

I followed the "confesional" idea and arrived at Examination of Conscience, which makes sense in the dream. The "oracle" was observing me and I was feeling self-conscious, though not judged. For me it indicates self-awareness and examination and so also "oracular" insight.

I've been reading up on Jungian ideas, so I've been paying a bit more attention to my dreams.

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 20 Nov 2011, 18:44

Re covering mirrors - they are seen as an entry to the Otherworlds,so a place where those on the other side of the veil can more easily access our world. This would tend to especially attract other beings during a ritual where sacred space is seen as being 'between the worlds'. OTOH if you are doing a ritual to make connection, as with Ancestors at Samhain, having an uncovered mirror may be a way to do this - but carefully and make it clear only those are welcome who come in love and to aid you. If you do this work, it's best to do it in a firmly cast space/circle so you don't have unwanted 'guests' showing up.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 21 Nov 2011, 09:02

Thank you, Donata. I'd always wondered the reason for this.

RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Postby RidgeDruid » 29 Sep 2012, 03:24

There is a norse Seidhr rite where the oracle sometimes sits behind a screen. We have some local folks who actually do it a couple of times a year. Very powerful. The local seeress worked with Diana Paxton when she was re-creating this rite. http://www.amazon.com/Way-Oracle-Recove ... 373&sr=1-5
Formerly known as A.O. MacLyr

Image Image

Return to “Arts of the Seer”