I-Ching

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Dragonwyst
OBOD Bard

I-Ching

Postby Dragonwyst » 26 Jun 2012, 14:31

As a matter of interest, has anyone here ever learnt anything about I-Ching as a divination tool? I have started learning the basics after picking up a book at a book sale.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: I-Ching

Postby Aphritha » 26 Jun 2012, 19:19

I absolutely love the I-Ching. Some of the answers I get are so personal, and always right on target.
I learned the coin tossing method. I'm not sure what version of the I-Ching you have, but I've got the Wilhelm/Baynes copy. I was taught the following:
Two tails, one head=7 ___
Two heads, one tail=8_ _
Three tails=6_ _
Three heads ___
You toss the coins a total of six times, and build the hexagrams with these lines. You start at the bottom and work your way up. You should have 6 lines. In the back of the book there is a section where you match the upper and lower parts of the hexagram, and it gives you a number. You then go to the index and find the hexagram, either by matching the number it gave you or a picture of the hexagram itself. It will give you the page number for the hexagram you tossed. There you can read an interpretive answer to the question you needed the answer to!
The numbers in front of the lines are important, as these are the changing lines. If there is a six or nine before one of the lines, continue reading into the section labeled "The Lines"(ex: 6 in the 4th place). If not, your answer is complete, and don't bother reading into the Lines section.
I hope some of this helps. I learned a good deal about it through a book called "Positive Magic" by Marion Weinstein.

Dragonwyst
OBOD Bard

Postby Dragonwyst » 27 Jun 2012, 14:00

The method in the book I have is the same. I am very intrigued by the layers of chance created by this as opposed to using something like tarot ( not that I'm a tarot expert)

Using three coins increases the chance of variation. Building six lines to form the hexagram increases the variability line by line, then those lines that are changing yin or yang add yet another dimension of variability. Somehow, to me, this seems a far better sort of randomisation than drawing cards out of a deck.

For my very first try at this, I used an old problem - a friendship that went horribly wrong where I was given absolutely no chance to establish what had been said about me, that I was supposed to have done wrong, where I was cut off at a time when I was vulnerable, and never asked if the hearsay was correct of given a chance to redeem myself in anyway. It left a gaping wound of unresolved-ness. So my question was how to deal with this or understand it so that the hurt would be diminished and not interfere with my life. The answer was absolutely, clearly spot on. It both described what had happened correctly - the underlying factors, and gave me the path out of it.

Now I am delving into the separate identities of the trigrams that make up the hexagrams and am intrigued by how they correspond with our elements and the circle of the year. I'm hoping that as I explore how the hexagrams are made up of combined trigrams and their characteristics I will understand more. The book I have, I Ching by Hilary Barret, provides the words of the Yijing, questions that one might need to ask in the light of that hexagram, an explanation and bit of historical context, the paired hexagram where that applies and then a description for each line that might be a changing line. It's pretty thorough. It will be interesting to read other sources and compare when I am more familiar with the whole.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 28 Jun 2012, 18:38

Keep in touch with what you learn on the correspondences of the hexagrams and the elements/seasons. That would be pretty interesting. :)

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 29 Jun 2012, 16:12

I believe my Kung Fu master is a master of I-Ching.He makes his living by this and healing.

RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Postby RidgeDruid » 29 Sep 2012, 00:45

I had the opportunity to formally study this back in either late 60s-early 70s in college. It was a two semester course on the I Ching and Taoism taught by a professor from China. He always encouraged us to use the yarrow stalk method (which can be a pain) using bamboo barbecue skewers because it provided the greatest opportunity to focus on your inquiry (about 20 minutes worth as I recall). The directions for doing it that way are somewhere in the Wilhelm/Baynes edition. I did a workshop this year comparing the imagery of the cauldron in druidry with the hexagram of the cauldron in the I-Ching, and it was very evident to me that I had lost a lot of my connection. I reread Jung's introduction and it was most informative!

When I was preparing for the workshop I was laughing at all my undecipherable comments in margins made 40+ years ago. My experience was that once you are attuned to its flow, it is an enormously powerful and subtle oracle. If you can find someone with a deep background to study with it would be very rewarding. I quit using it on a regular basis years ago. I primarily use the Wild Wood Tarot right now because it seems to speak to me. I have used other ones in the past.
Formerly known as A.O. MacLyr

Image Image

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 29 Sep 2012, 16:14

I love Jung's introduction...I remember him saying how it has a personality...it really does! I was crying on an issue one day when consulting it. I do not remember the hexagram I drew at that point, but I remember it saying "be not sad, be like the sun at midday". It seemed to be comforting me, and I do feel at times it is a friend...

Return to “Arts of the Seer”