Interpreting People In Dreams

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Interpreting People In Dreams

Postby Aphritha » 14 Jul 2013, 15:42

After several dreams of a specific person in the recent past, I'm stuck wondering what exactly the reasoning for the person's appearance is. Since most things in dreams seem to be symbols from our unconcious minds, I'm fairly sure this is no different. Question is, what is the person a symbol of? How does one calculate the meaning of such a thing? I don't for a moment believe it has anything to do with the individual themselves, but am having trouble finding a reason why they're popping up in the dream world.

katie bridgewater

Re: Interpreting People In Dreams

Postby katie bridgewater » 14 Jul 2013, 16:08

I guess you probably already asked yourself what you feel about the person in real life? What are the things you associate with them? What impact do they have on you? Also, how do you feel about them after the dreams? Is it different?
I'm with you on the symbols from our unconscious minds thing, but it does sometimes seem the subconscious is a little too clever and obscure for it to help much! I suppose if the message is unclear, then you could solicit further explanation from your dreams and see if they throw something else up. I like the idea that the persons of our dreams can represent aspects of ourselves, so that might be an avenue to follow, based on your answers to the questions in my first paragraph.
I wonder if the person isn't important, but something about them - maybe the literal meaning of their name is significant? Dreams are known to use visual puns and language tricks to make you remember things and solve problems. (Dreams about pianos (keys) and boats on jettys (quays) to remind you not to forget your 'keys' in the morning is just one definite example I know of).
I once had recurrent disturbing dreams about someone and ended up doing a ritual to make them go away! It worked, thank goodness! Not necessary if the dreams are ok!

good luck - happy dream questing :zzz:

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 14 Jul 2013, 16:33

I'm going to stick a toe in the water, as I have done some studying in this area and might be able to offer an idea or two.

from one perspective, people who reappear in dreams can symbolize aspects of your psyche (unconscious) that need attending to. What aspect they stand for, will depend on the sex of the figure, as well as what they are doing. For example, I underwent jungian analysis many years ago, and during that time repeatedly dreamed of being attacked by a serial killer(different ones all the time, but always insane males with razor blades). I understand this figure to represent a destructive element in my own psyche, what Jung would call the Animus, and worked with my journal, with various forms of amplification (artwork, trance) and so on to integrate and heal that wounded element. I knew it had passed when the animus began to appear as a grey angel - but it took a long time.

The Animus isn't the only element of the psyche that can show up..At other times, one's Shadow may appear as a member of the same sex - representing whatever you have repressed habitually in your waking persona. (This is all Jungian, and thus just one way of looking at dreams.) So, if you strive to be calm and moderate, your anger can appear as Shadow-self, as a furious or vengeful female. While I do feel that dream-figures can be many things, this particular language and method of understanding seems to me to be helpful, even of you see the recurring figure as symbolic of other, external things as well. One thing I value about Jungian work is its openness to multiple interpretations, and the "aspect of oneself" is just one of these.

Does any of that work for you?

fera

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 14 Jul 2013, 17:19

I can throw together a good deal of information on the character. Its a male of the past, of whom I had a superb relationship with, although the friendship had a very unpleasant ending that was never resolved. Its been a many years since I've seen the person, and I'm content with this. The person was very much like me, and we were glued together for a long time(we had much in common in our charts, as well). Mutual stubborness took its toll in the end, and the 'argument' that ended it was silent, stoic, and cruel(you don't need words when you know exactly how to push the other). Occasional contact was kept for a few years after through circumstance, but it was like stepping on eggshells and much was purposely left unsaid, even though it probably should have been dealt with, at least for the sake of closure.
Awakening from the dreams, I still feel the person is a...well, insert whatever unpleasant word you want here..., but I'll feel nostalgic for a day or two, remembering the things that we did, the places we went, etc, etc. I did try some dream work to extract a message, but wasn't able to get much(I ended up dreaming about my cats and monopoly...). My sleep cycle has been much interrupted due to my pregnancy(I roll and moan and groan most of the night), so dream questing as normal has been hard.
In writing a bit on the person, I'm seeing the theme of 'lack of closure' reoccuring. Also, could the person be a symbol of myself in past, even though it was male? I'm a bit confused on what an Animus is, and its role.

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 23 Jul 2013, 14:52

In writing a bit on the person, I'm seeing the theme of 'lack of closure' reoccuring. Also, could the person be a symbol of myself in past, even though it was male? I'm a bit confused on what an Animus is, and its role.
...Aphritha, sorry I missed this question while taking a little time out here. Have you had more dreams about this individual? Resolved anything? I wanted to follow up with the concept of the Animus - yes indeed, it is a "part of you" - and see if this model works for you. For me, Jung's model is not to be taken as some absolute map of reality, but a useful method of exploring interiority. I found a very interesting blog entry while looking for accessible articles about the Anima/animus online:
http://jeanraffa.wordpress.com/2010/09/ ... l-journey/

Just touching base....:)

fera

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Jul 2013, 15:37

I haven't had any more dreams, thankfully. I've decided they probably cropped up to let me know there's a piece of myself I need to leave behind(and probably formally, so as to avoid issues like I did with the person). As to what piece needs to be shoved to the side, I'm not sure. I think its probably represented by the person showing up in the dream state, but I'm not able to quite put my finger on it.
Thank you for the article, it was a good read. I've got a better idea of what an Animus is. :)

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountainheart » 26 Jul 2013, 17:43

Jung writes that the male 'soul' archetype is the anima and is female in gender; and the female equivalent is the animus, which is male in gender. So if you have had an experience with your animus it would be a male symbol (not necessarily human).

Jung writes of the animus / anima: "The anima is not the soul in the dogmatic sense, not an anima rationalis, which is a philosophical conception, but a natural archetype ... It is something that lives of itself, that makes us live; it is life behind consciousness .... from which consciousness arises." My interpretation of that is that he is saying that the animus is not the soul as the church understands it; but is the wild 'something' that is the core 'me'. I think that the asignment of gender to the anima / animus is to emphasise that the complete person is a holistic being. The male animus of the unconscious complements the female aspects of the consciousness.

The whole issue of Archetypes and how it might inform our concepts of gods and godesses is fascinating. If you can get hold of it and are interested 'The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious' by Jung is an intriguing read.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Jul 2013, 18:36

Thank you for the information and book reference. I'll look into it. :)

Return to “Arts of the Seer”