Obsidian mirror

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Stone
OBOD Bard

Obsidian mirror

Postby Stone » 24 Apr 2014, 10:53

Hi everyone :)

I have just come in to the possession of an obsidian scrying mirror :) Does anyone here have any personal experience of using one that they wouldn't mind sharing please? I have no idea where to start with it :blink: but am keen to try :)

Thank you as always :)
Best wishes

Stone

If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through. Chinese Proverb.

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Re: Obsidian mirror

Postby Snægl » 24 Apr 2014, 16:56

Well, I can tell you what I did for my black mirror, a similar scrying device.

First, purify and consecrate your mirror. Make sure it's tuned to you, use whatever tradition is most comfortable for you. Many folks in OBOD purify with water and fire, then consecrate using all four elements. Letting it sit under the light of a full moon can also be helpful. I will also usually give it a mugwort tea bath each time before I use it.

When it comes to actually using your mirror, the key is to relax, and to realize that you may not physically "see" anything in it at all--but that the movie of your mind's eye becomes very vivid. At least, that's how it works for me. For years I thought I couldn't scry, until I realized that I was paying attention to the wrong sense: physical sight instead of active imagination. Keep the light in the room low, and place a candle behind the mirror. Then sit calmly, focus on a point within the mirror and breathe. See what comes.

When not in use, I like to keep mine wrapped in cloth inside a box, out of the sun.

Good luck!
Forþan bið andgit æghwær selest ferðes foreþanc. :zen:
Therefore, in every respect understanding is best, and deliberation of spirit.
-- Beowulf 1059–1060
ImageImageThe Druid's Well Blog

Stone
OBOD Bard

Postby Stone » 24 Apr 2014, 20:37

Thats really really helpful - thank you very much for sharing with me, I appreciate it :)
Best wishes

Stone

If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through. Chinese Proverb.

Wolf Dreamer
OBOD Druid

Postby Wolf Dreamer » 24 Apr 2014, 21:16

From my limited skrying experience, I would agree with Snaegle and focus on your inner vision. A tea of mugwort can help too.

Wolf Dreamer
:wolf:
"Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss you
put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while
waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.
If you follow your bliss, doors will open that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

- Joseph Campbell

Stone
OBOD Bard

Postby Stone » 25 Apr 2014, 08:22

Thank you Wolf Dreamer - I am going to buy some mugwort today :)
Best wishes

Stone

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 26 May 2014, 12:51

I would love a scrying mirror to find its way to me in ordinary reality having had one gifted to me in non ordinary reality and worked with it there. Does anyone know a god source by any chance?
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Postby Dathi » 30 May 2014, 20:39

Good luck with the scrying.

Nollaig, thanks for the link. That is a cracker of a blog, well worth a read - my kind of Seer, try this page for e.g. http://thescryingbowl.blogspot.ca/2012/ ... ke-to.html :applause:
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

Return to “Arts of the Seer”