Interpreting a dream with a god

A place for exploration and discussion of all forms of divination, such as Ogham, Tarot, Runes and dowsing.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Nathan
OBOD Bard

Interpreting a dream with a god

Postby Nathan » 06 May 2014, 11:58

I notice there are a number of posts about dreams, maybe worth it's own subforum?

This morning I had a dream that I'm struggling with interpreting. It involved a man with one eye acting cruelly and with anger towards others. It bothered me so much that I confronted him, tried to dissipate his anger but also point out that he was behaving in an unacceptable way. Now here's the wrinkle: the guy had one eye. At one point, he was wearing a patch, at another point not. Naturally, and especially since Odin has held a spot on my altar, I'm wondering if it was him.

I guess there are two ways to look at it and it's based on your beliefs. I could look at it as the god himself paying me a visit and showing some displeasure about something (though his anger didn't seem to be directed at me in particular). The other take, from the archetypal viewpoint, is that I have some unsettled part of my subconscious that needs to be attended to and my subconscious mind chose a symbol or character to whom I would pay attention.

Personally, I subscribe to the gods as actual, real spiritual entities about 60% of the time and the gods as archetypes about 40% of the time. So no conflict there, right? :-)

Anyways, has anyone else had what you have interpreted to be a god visit you in a dream? How did you discern the message?
ImageImage

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Interpreting a dream with a god

Postby Aphritha » 06 May 2014, 15:39

I see your hangup.
Either way, it seems something needs to be attended to in your life.
I guess there are two ways to look at it and it's based on your beliefs. I could look at it as the god himself paying me a visit and showing some displeasure about something (though his anger didn't seem to be directed at me in particular). The other take, from the archetypal viewpoint, is that I have some unsettled part of my subconscious that needs to be attended to and my subconscious mind chose a symbol or character to whom I would pay attention.

I'm not so sure in this case it matters if its you that seeks the change or Odin(or, maybe you're in agreement). The interpretation you give with Odin(Odin doesn't something that's going on) is quite similar to the interpretation you give for an archtype(there's something in me that isn't right). Both seem to call for a change.
I can think of a few instances in which I was 'spoken' to by deities(I believe them to be real entities). The most recent(and most direct) was the goddess Laima. I actually intended(or should say, hoped) to get an answer from her. I asked her a question before I went to sleep, and had a dream of looking at a book, her speaking the answer behind me. I was quite awed when I woke up; in all my years of dealing with gods/goddesses, I'd never gotten such a clear answer before!

Nathan
OBOD Bard

Re: Interpreting a dream with a god

Postby Nathan » 06 May 2014, 16:06

Thanks Aphritha, I think you're right, whether the impetus is external or internal, there's something that needs to be settled or addressed... :thinking:

That's awesome about the dream you had!
ImageImage

Return to “Arts of the Seer”