What hubble saw...

The ancient druids were considered the Scientists of their day. This forum is for the discussion of topics relating to Natural History, Science and Technology.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Heddwen
OBOD Druid

What hubble saw...

Postby Heddwen » 29 May 2014, 12:00

Just thought that I'd share this with you. I was pretty blown away by it.

http://www.facts.fm/hubble-gif/

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: What hubble saw...

Postby DJ Droood » 29 May 2014, 15:48

Are space pictures of stars and galaxies colourized? They are often spectacular, but are they photographed like that or are they "sexed up" a bit in photoshop?
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Alwin
OBOD Druid

Postby Alwin » 31 May 2014, 13:21

The colors of this Hubble deep field image are probably not real. Over a long period of time there were taken several images of that region with different filters from infrared to visible wavelength to ultraviolet and later composed to a single image.
But what is "real"? Only what is visible to the human eye? A philosophical question. :thinking:
2013 SB I • 2013 SB II • 2014 IL I • 2014 IL II • 2014 BS • 2015 BS I • 2015 BS II • 2015 SB • 2016 SB • 2017 BS
--
www.Lichtspur.ch
www.artflakes.com/de/shop/lichtspur

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 10 Aug 2014, 01:10

A lot of deep space pictures are composites including ultraviolet or infrared data, so they may be false color images. Images taken of the night sky by terrestrial cameras are more likely to be natural.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Return to “Natural History”