The Spirit of Shamanism

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Voyager

The Spirit of Shamanism

Post by Voyager » 23 Dec 2005, 13:14

Hello everyone

I have been away for a while and in that time have had time to do lots of thinking about the nature of Shamanism and the deep feelings I have for my native Druid traditions. Furthermore my good American and Canadian friends here at OBOD have instructed me about the beliefs and traditions of the Native Americans. As someone with a Celtic bloodline I feel a great empathy with all of these traditions and have always wondered why. I used to think it was just a deep emotion I felt that couldnt be rationalised but then I started to do a bit of research. :where:

As I read about other cultures and their beliefs I am more and more drawn to the conclusion that many of the ideas overlap and indeed become almost identical. For example at this time of year the winter solstice - it is primarily a festival of lights and rejoices in the return of the sun or son. Many religions have this belief.

The customs of so many religions complement eachother and so I got to looking at Shamanic traditions and especially the link between Druidry and Native American spirituality. The belief in nature is so strong, the Geat Spirit the call of the wild, the shapeshifting, etc. etc. The word Shaman originated in Siberia in North East Europe and was practised amongst nomadic peoples. These people were the same people who travelled across the Steppes of Russia and into central Europe forming or at least mingling with other peoples. The Celts were amongst these ancient people.

Now as I look at the globe it doesn't take too much of a leap of the imagination to see that if the Shamanic cultures in the region of Siberia were to travel East the next land mass is North America. Is it not possible then that Native American spirituality derived from peoples somehow travelling across the ocean and bringing the spirit of Europian Shamanism with them? :hawk:

I think I saw some research on this a while ago but cannot remember much about it. If this were to be the truth and I can't really see why it shouldn't be possible. Then both Shamanism, Druid and Native American spirituality have the same rootes.

This makes me feel extremely warm inside and happy in my skin to know that within my spirituality I have so many soulmates!

Peace and Love
Love is you
Love is me
Love is wanting to be free

mawnanian

Post by mawnanian » 23 Dec 2005, 14:19

I've also wondered about the similarities of diverse cultures, and from what I hear it seems that many archeologists are coming to the belief that ancient peoples did indeed travel far more widely than previously thought.

However I think it's quite possible that if something represents a universal truth or has universal resonance the same conclusion can be arrived at seperately by following a variety of different paths, without any contact being necessary.

If anything find that idea even more appealing and reassuring than the image of intrepid explorers.

Seeker
OBOD Druid

Post by Seeker » 23 Dec 2005, 15:58

Mawnanian said:
However I think it's quite possible that if something represents a universal truth or has universal resonance the same conclusion can be arrived at seperately by following a variety of different paths, without any contact being necessary.

If anything find that idea even more appealing and reassuring than the image of intrepid explorers.
Wonderfully stated, my friend! I find myself feeling the same way and agreeing with you...and, even it it is through "intrepid explorers" as suggested by Voyager, I also agree with her statement:
This makes me feel extremely warm inside and happy in my skin to know that within my spirituality I have so many soulmates!
Different paths may, indeed, lead to the same road!
"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought."
Matsuo Basho

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Post by Petrichor » 07 Feb 2006, 13:28

Let's not forget the other institution at work here my friends ..........

"The School of Souls"

Haven't you all felt empathy with other cultures you supposedly know nothing about ?

Awen ,

Zimran .
Formerly - Zimran - Aracos - Petrichor

I AM AN OLD MAN
BUT I AM A YOUNG GARDINER
Albert Einstein

Caileadair

Post by Caileadair » 07 Feb 2006, 20:55

Actually, some of the Native American nations have ancient legends of arriving from elsewhere -- as the Cherokee -- while others have very decided origin legends that fix them right where they are. In particular many of the tribes in the Four Corners area believe they were placed right there by Creator from the beginning-time.

Illium

Shamanic Durid

Post by Illium » 16 Feb 2006, 10:12

Hello
     The Shamanic Durid Path is something I wish to follow in due course I still learning at this moment. :where:
    I have always believed as a boy that we are all one people and all the different cultures are nothing more than branches from the "One Tree" sparks form a fire. One can follow any chosen path but keep in mind that all lead to the one.
            "IN THE END ALL IS ONE"

No wonder I have always found many friends from all socities. I was a chef for many years and I have many friends from all over the world. All have a story to tell :old:

Quote:
      To be conscious of oneness to bring one's cosmic consciousness into manifestation in the same way as other ideas finally manifest!

Peace profound
Illium :)

Caileadair

Post by Caileadair » 16 Feb 2006, 16:42

Oh, and by the way, if you want to insult a Native American medicine person, call him/her a shaman. A few are okay with it, but most that I've encountered or trained under don't like the term, and will tell you, "That has to do with a Siberian culture. I'm not Siberian. I'm xxx."

Also, except for a few tribes in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest, if you try to tell a Native American that they were originally nomads from Siberia, they will stare at you, shake their heads, mutter something about "ignorant white scientists," and ignore you. Many of the Eastern tribes do have legends that they came from elsewhere, but it was from either South or East, not West. And as aforementioned, the SW tribes say they were always there because Creator placed them there, or they came up from underground in that one spot, or something similar.

Trust me. I've made both these mistakes in learning about my heritage. (And because my complexion is blonde Celtic, even though my bone structure is Native, I not uncommonly get called a "wannabe," which is considered an insult.) If you're lucky, you will be talking to someone who understands you mean no harm, and they will kindly but bluntly set you straight. If you're unlucky, you will be shunned from then on.

Just trying to help in the event you should ever get a chance to talk with a Native American medicine person. If you DO get the chance, TAKE IT, just remember what I've said. It'll make the convo flow smoother.

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Post by Dryadia2 » 16 Feb 2006, 21:07

Caileadair wrote:Oh, and by the way, if you want to insult a Native American medicine person, call him/her a shaman...
It is polite to call them Uncle or Grandfather (if they are male), depending on how much of an age difference there is between yourself and them.  It is also polite to offer them tobacco (pouch of pipe tobacco), as a gift, and always be respectful.

Peace and Blessings,
:dryadia: /|\
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Post by Kat Lady » 17 Feb 2006, 01:11

I thank you for posting this thread in the first place, Voyager. And I thank Illium for bumping it up.

To me, the Spirit of Shamanism transcends cultures and titles. Whether they are called Shaman, Priest, Elder, Monk, Medicine Worker, Seer or Walker Between the Worlds, the spirit and work that they do are much the same: they are the healers, the seers, the necromancers. They are the ones that use the natural powers around them to help their people and the land and its inhabitants.

So just what is this spirit of shamanism to you?
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

Illium

Spirit of the Shamanic Durid

Post by Illium » 21 Feb 2006, 07:46

:)
    I have read some wonderful ideas of this facinating subject from all. The way I see this is that there was one then the one spread out across the earth to form the many different customs and ideas and cultures from the one. :where:
          Return to nature sounds real good but in this world like here in Florida they are tearing down so much.
               May take is probably that all the different cultures came from the one source and created there own blend of the central thyeme. I as a new seeker call my journey a quest to find the flame the spirit back the my ancestors who give shape to this body, as well as those ancestors of my heart who help me shape my soul.

Peace profound

Illium :shake:

Marigorri

Post by Marigorri » 05 May 2006, 19:00

My first spiritual teacher was a Native American Woman, Donna TalkingLeaves. She did not call herself a shaman, because she felt she did not yet possess the wisdom of a shaman. She shares some of her thoughts on shamanism on her website:
Shaman: KNOWS the infinite interconnectedness of all form and formless dimensions, acts accordingly, and is therefore potentially unlimited.

Shamanic: Exhibiting, and/or, demonstrating, this interconnectedness and unlimited potential.

Shamanism: The practice, or discipline, of interconnectedness and unlimited potential; which can generate a total transformation of self.

KNOWS: Denotes direct bodily experience, not a mental construct.                        

Donna TalkingLeaves September 1997

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”