Handling a Staff .(letting others handle your staff)

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Post by Petrichor » 02 Aug 2006, 12:25

An interesting thought Oak .............

Like someone wearing your shirt or living in your house for a while - you would feel a "difference" , however once you re-established yourself in the piece or place your effect would return .........

There are many variables to contemplate though .

What if someone deliberately or unconsciously left something in your ritual equipment that was harmful or "negative" ( a residual effect ) .

It also asks questions of dedicating all ritual equipment for ceremony ?

Blessings ......

Aracos .

OakWyse
OBOD Druid

Post by OakWyse » 02 Aug 2006, 13:39

Aracos wrote:An interesting thought Oak .............

Like someone wearing your shirt or living in your house for a while - you would feel a "difference" , however once you re-established yourself in the piece or place your effect would return .........
A good question.  I suppose to me it's more like someone living in your house for a while.  I'd let someone handle my staff who I really wouldn't want wearing my underwear . . .  wonder what that says?  Anyway, you'd always feel the difference - you'd be changed and enriched by the contact with the other person.
There are many variables to contemplate though .
What if someone deliberately or unconsciously left something in your ritual equipment that was harmful or "negative" ( a residual effect ) .
Which begs the question, "What if I unconsciously leave something harmful of negative?"  Their power blends with mine, sharing the human condition.  We grow by being connected with each other, not by isolating ourselves.
It also asks questions of dedicating all ritual equipment for ceremony ?
Actually, I don't have any "ritual" equipment.  That is, nothing that's used only for ritual.  My staff is also my walking stick.  It's my grounding in the green world, and my companion.  Actually, although I have occasionally handed it to someone, no one has ever asked to hold it.  My bag of Ogham staves is my instructor in tree lore, my connectedness to the trees, and sometimes used for divination.  I also let others handle that.

I don't draw a circle for working, but recognize a sacred center of a circle with no circumference.  I don't separate myself out from the world, but consciously work within the world, and that includes all the folks in it.

I know that's a minority sort of opinion.  But, as I say, it's what works for me.  I'm not proslytizing!

Thanks, Aracos, for the good questions.

Blessings of Summer Heat,
OakWyse/|\

Petrichor
OBOD Ovate

Post by Petrichor » 02 Aug 2006, 13:53

And thank you Oak for your wisdom & connectedness to Mother .

It is true that we learn from & are enriched by each other's lives ........

I just wish more people would realise this .

Many blessings friend ,

Aracos .

Motuckquas Cwningen
OBOD Bard

Post by Motuckquas Cwningen » 02 Aug 2006, 15:55

Thank you for sharing your opinion OakWyse.  As a new staff companion/owner I have read this thread with interest.

Yours may be a minority opinion but it is one that sits comfortably with me.  No-one has yet asked to hold my staff but I have asked others to hold it when I needed a hand free and felt comfortable in doing so.
Actually, I don't have any "ritual" equipment.  That is, nothing that's used only for ritual.  My staff is also my walking stick.  It's my grounding in the green world, and my companion.
That is how I feel about mine also.  I used it the day I found it to walk with and look forward to sharing walks with it in future.  

I don't have any 'ritual' equipment either.  In fact I find equipment a distraction from ritual rather than an assistance.  I am rather new to ritual though so that may change.  However now I've read your post I wonder if its merely a matter of personal preference.  
I don't draw a circle for working, but recognize a sacred center of a circle with no circumference.  I don't separate myself out from the world, but consciously work within the world, and that includes all the folks in it.
Thank you in particular for sharing your opinion on circles.  That is exactly how I feel.  In fact I once sent a very concerned email to my tutor explaining that a circle made me feel claustrophobic and isolated.  To me the world and in fact further than the physical world is my circle.  

My staff - I found it from the person who created it, polished it and sold it to me for a very reasonable price at Joust (medieval festival).  I tried walking past several times as I had assumed one day I would find one direct 'from the tree' but it kept calling me back.  When someone else went to pick it up to look at it I suddenly got all possesive (felt like 'it was mine') but the craftsperson allowed me to walk around the rest of the stall with it while looking at other things.  It is hazel, slim and as tall as my chin !  Also very beautiful as the top is twisted naturally where passion flowers twisted their way round the branch.  Otherwise unadorned.  I looked at shorter ones, ones that had been more crafted etc. but they didn't feel the same.

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Post by Jingle » 02 Aug 2006, 18:41

I have only recently used my staff in ritual, as it was not yet ready.  I dedicated it at Beltane in our "circle with a sacred center and no circumference" as a symbol of my journey.  I used it in our Lughnasadh ritual and it replaced my crutches quite nicely as a leaning and walking tool (though I wouldn't be able to walk very far with only my staff as a tool).

I have worked with it and added my own energy to it and like OakWyse, feel that everyone that handles it adds their energy to it, making it an even stronger symbol of my journey.  I don't feel any negative energy from it.  

Still, in our family, we all ask first if we can touch a wand or a staff of one of the other family members.  My daughter felt negative energy from a friend who handled her staff disrespectfully, and it was her choice to cleanse it, realizing that she would lose the positive energy at the same time.  In her case the negative energy was too strong (ex-boyfriend strong) to ignore.    I do have a stone bracelet into which I purposely direct my own negative energy when I can (thus removing it from me and not putting it into the rest of the world) and I do cleanse that at the full moon.  

I love the circle with no circumference at our LynHydd Grove rituals, and I'm very thankful that OakWyse introduced us to it.   I also use it for our Full Moon meditations because, after all, the purpose is to radiate peace as far as our thoughts can reach without the barrier of a circle.
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”