Altered States of Consciousness

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Alasdair
OBOD Ovate

Altered States of Consciousness

Postby Alasdair » 12 Jan 2006, 16:46

What are some good methods for entering a trance state or going into a deeper state of consciousness? I have had experience with meditating for a while now, but for the first few years I simply used it to relax and focus myself. Now that I have been a bit more experienced I have had a serious interest in accessing other parts of consciousnes, or being able to ask for guidance. I've gotten to the point where I visualize something and then a few minutes later notice that I was somewhere else.. and that i don't remember hearing anything ( even if it's noisy outside ). Normally I also don't feel my body anymore, and I simply feel energy and blood circulating.. and it almost feels like I can detach from my body (like an OBE) but I haven't fully separated. Also, entering a moderate trance state is important for other more advanced shamanic processes so I view this as sometihng that would benefit me starting now. Thanks!
To the mind that is Still -- The whole Universe Surrenders.

unicawn

Completely gone

Postby unicawn » 04 Dec 2006, 00:14

I have happily and successfully journeyed for some years with no real problems and some excellent personal healing and connections.

Recently though, I'm going off and have no idea where I've been. Today, was something else...briefly...
I started in a pond, fell of a lilly pad, lost the frog, found myself asking if I could breath underwater - then seemed to go somewhere..then impressions:. found myself looking and going into a big earth hole - flat sides as if it had been dug - I remember suddenly seeing the caduceus (the sword with snakes entwined round it)...then I come round with the weirdest feeling in/on the top of my head...felt a bit nauseous and it took me ages to ground.
I don't feel I went to sleep...more I feel as if  I was very busy and missed it. I also had a little pain at the bottom of  my spine at the end...something I once experienced after a Kundalini meditation.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what happened.

I should add that I've had some stuff going on lately...for instance, waking in the night and seeing energies in my room; a large spider (not a fear), energies floating across the room and the biggest and weirdest on the 1st of december a yew branch - not a twig - a branch. In each case, I'm too tired and sleepy to do anything other than send it a Reiki symbol and then I drift off again. I think all this is deepening levels of connection (I seem to be super psychic, especially when healing, for instance) but I'm a bit out of my depth and am not sure how to handle it all.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Re: Altered States of Consciousness

Postby meghanst » 19 Dec 2006, 11:22

[quote="Alasdair"]What are some good methods for entering a trance state or going into a deeper state of consciousness?  

Meditation, trance, hypnosis and altered states of consciousness are all more or less the same state, although there are many different types and levels. I’ll use the term ‘trance state’ for simplicity.

A good way to go into a trance state is listening to relaxing music and allowing yourself to drift while sitting in a comfortable chair, your back straight and supported, but without your head supported. Trance is the state between waking and sleeping, so as you drift into sleep, your unsupported head starts to fall and wakes you up. Eventually you learn to stay in the state between sleep and consciousness.

[quote="Alasdair"] I have had experience with meditating for a while now, but for the first few years I simply used it to relax and focus myself.  

Relaxation is an excellent way to go into a trance state. There are all sorts of different altered states that we can go into using a variety of methods including hypnosis, yoga relaxation and meditation techniques, shock, drugs, natural highs (love, sex, exercise), listening to or playing music. They range from being absolutely focused to being completely unfocused. An athlete or a musician is completely focused. Often meditation techniques aim at being completely unfocused and there can be combinations of both.

[quote="Alasdair"] Normally I also don't feel my body anymore, and I simply feel energy and blood circulating.. and it almost feels like I can detach from my body (like an OBE) but I haven't fully separated.

One test of a certain type of meditation is that you can stick a needle into someone and they won’t feel it. However there are other types of meditation where we are completely aware of our body but still in an altered brain wave state. Think of athletes, they must have total body awareness but block out everything other than their immediate activity. They don’t lose their body but they lose their environment (the crowd noise etc) and they move into a different sense of time with things often happening in slow motion.

The thing that defines an altered state of consciousness is a change in the brain wave pattern.

[quote="Alasdair"] Now that I have been a bit more experienced I have had a serious interest in accessing other parts of consciousnes, or being able to ask for guidance.  

There are many things that can be accessed in a trance state including genetic memory, physical body memory, brain memory and imagination. The trick is remembering them when you come out of trance and working out what you were accessing.

[quote="Alasdair"] I've gotten to the point where I visualize something and then a few minutes later notice that I was somewhere else.. and that i don't remember hearing anything ( even if it's noisy outside ).  

You have dropped into a trance state where you lose your body. With enough practice, you might remember what went on in your mind when you come out.

An important ability is to be able to observe yourself in trance but it is very difficult as normally as soon as consciousness barges in, you loose the altered state. Try to observe extremely discretely and just a small amount so that you might not actually see or remember everything. Better to start off small and expand the ability rather than never achieve it or lose the altered state. This may take years of practice. If it stops you going into trance then forget it.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Re: Completely gone

Postby meghanst » 19 Dec 2006, 11:23

[quote="unicawn"] I have happily and successfully journeyed for some years with no real problems and some excellent personal healing and connections.

Like certain sleep states, there are trance states that promote healing.

[quote="unicawn"] Recently though, I'm going off and have no idea where I've been.

This is the most common after affect of trance.

[quote="unicawn"] felt a bit nauseous and it took me ages to ground.

[quote="unicawn"] I’m still trying to work out this nausea, maybe it’s part of the body’s healing-cleansing process such as if we overeat and drink then go to bed, we’re likely to walk up nauseas because the body is trying to process it. I’d be interested to know more of our experiences when this happens and whether it happens after the kundalini practices as this might be what’s causing the problem.

[quote="unicawn"] I don't feel I went to sleep...more I feel as if I was very busy and missed it.

There are different types of sleep and sometimes we’re very busy in sleep and I’m sure you were very busy in this meditation. It’s not only our minds that are busy in certain types of sleep but also our bodies. Sleep is when the body grows and heals and without adequate sleep children don’t grow properly. This is also available in types of meditation.

[quote="unicawn"] I also had a little pain at the bottom of  my spine at the end...something I once experienced after a Kundalini meditation.

Kundalini meditations can be dangerous and best avoided. When you raise kundalini, you are raising power, not enlightenment. Enlightenment = kundalini but kundalini does not = enlightenment. Chasing kundalini is chasing power, before doing kundalini practices it’s important to know why you want power and what you’ll do with it.

If kundalini raises naturally and it will when necessary and when it’s meant to rise, no harm occurs.  However one can go insane from forcing kundalini. When it rises in someone seeking enlightenment who has given up worldly things (such as the great yogis and saints), even if they have used kundalini practices, they don’t go insane because they have their goodness and total rejection of all worldly things, to protect them. If we are still immersed in worldly things we have no such protection.

The one possible exception being mothers with children. Children can be protection to a mother because the mothering instinct is often so strong it can override anything but nothing else comes near the power of kundalini to stop one going insane. This, the force of the mothering instinct, could be where the Buddhist belief comes from, that women cannot become enlightened.

If you want to do kundalini practices, give up all your worldly goods and wander around trusting in God and doing good deeds (in other words follow a saintly path). However if you are happy in your material world (as I am) it’s easier to just avoid kundalini practices.

[quote="unicawn"] I should add that I've had some stuff going on lately...for instance, waking in the night and seeing energies in my room; a large spider (not a fear), energies floating across the room and the biggest and weirdest on the 1st of december a yew branch - not a twig - a branch.

You are probably in a trance state which might be part of why you’re not afraid.

[quote="unicawn"] but I'm a bit out of my depth and am not sure how to handle it all

Treat everything in a light-hearted happy, playful manner. This is the best protection you can have. If you feel you need help, call on light-hearted help such as a good fairy sprinkling sparkling magical protection. By doing this you send a message to your unconscious saying what you want done and let it sort out the details so you don’t need to know what to do on a conscious level. At the same time you are telling your emotions to be calm and happy and are discouraging fear and anxiety.

Fear anxiety and negative emotions allow black magic (or just negativity if you don’t believe in black magic) to enter our lives. Calling positive emotions brings white magic or positivity (if that’s a word) into our lives.

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 19 Dec 2006, 15:46

A couple of other methods for entering into a trance state are drumming, either yourself or listening to a CD or tape of drumming, or chanting, again either yourself or listening to a CD or tape. Personally I find doing the drumming and/or chanting myself is the most effective, though others may find this distracting.

Any monotonous repetitive occupation can induce a trance state - washing dishes, running, walking slowly and mindfully, etc.

Worrying about being able to enter a trance state is counter productive! so do your best to relax and enjoy whatever it is you are doing at the moment, without concern for any result or outcome. Just be.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

unicawn

Re: Completely gone

Postby unicawn » 09 Jan 2007, 20:54

Kundalini meditations can be dangerous and best avoided. When you raise kundalini, you are raising power, not enlightenment. Enlightenment = kundalini but kundalini does not = enlightenment. Chasing kundalini is chasing power, before doing kundalini practices it’s important to know why you want power and what you’ll do with it.

If kundalini raises naturally and it will when necessary and when it’s meant to rise, no harm occurs.  However one can go insane from forcing kundalini. When it rises in someone seeking enlightenment who has given up worldly things (such as the great yogis and saints), even if they have used kundalini practices, they don’t go insane because they have their goodness and total rejection of all worldly things, to protect them. If we are still immersed in worldly things we have no such protection.

Treat everything in a light-hearted happy, playful manner. This is the best protection you can have. If you feel you need help, call on light-hearted help such as a good fairy sprinkling sparkling magical protection. By doing this you send a message to your unconscious saying what you want done and let it sort out the details so you don’t need to know what to do on a conscious level. At the same time you are telling your emotions to be calm and happy and are discouraging fear and anxiety.

Fear anxiety and negative emotions allow black magic (or just negativity if you don’t believe in black magic) to enter our lives. Calling positive emotions brings white magic or positivity (if that’s a word) into our lives.

Good advice, thankyou...Just to clarify, the Kundalini experiences are completely involuntary - I have never attempted deliberately for it to happen. The first time, I received valuable path guidance while 'there' but I do remember losing a tail as I 'rose' in the connected meditation and the next day, I felt as if I had really lost a tale and the skin around it!  
The experience I related in the post above, I now believe, after rereading it and thinking about it, could well have been past life connected. It started as a question for my own healing and a need to overcome a reticence and it seems to have gone much deeper than I expected.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

involuntary Kundalini experience

Postby meghanst » 10 Jan 2007, 07:12

[quote="unicawn"]the Kundalini experiences are completely involuntary

You should certainly make the most of it and take it as far as it will go, as 'natural' kundalini experiences are not very common and can be extremely rewarding. It's sometimes possible to recapture or reignite the kundalini experince by doing and imagining the whole situation again as exactly as possible, that is, if you were meditating in a particular place and time and/or contemplating a particular idea or God/Goddess, then recreate it and you might recreate the kundalini experience and be able to take it a step further.

unicawn

Postby unicawn » 12 Jan 2007, 00:27

Thankyou, I will, when I feel ready or feel the need to explore again, try that recreation of the kundalini experience as you advise.

I think the Caduceus - never can spell it - appearance in the experience I related above signalled the beginning of the Kundalini Rising and relating it to the power you mentioned, I think it was about me taking my power back from those who 'quelled' it in a distant past life.

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”