Animal Guides vs Power Animals

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
hitenshi

Animal Guides vs Power Animals

Post by hitenshi » 16 Sep 2006, 22:57

I apologise if this has been brought up somewhere already, though didn't find a thread dealing with this here yet.

SO.... what is the difference? Does one work with them differently? Is one temporary - there to help deal with specific issues of the moment, versus a long term lesson?

Peace, Blessings, and Thanks!

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Post by Kat Lady » 16 Sep 2006, 23:40

Hello hitenshi! A power animal is another phrase for a totem animal.  Power animals are there for inspiration, guidance, protection and "empower" us. Wheras a guide may only direct us. You may have many power animals and each may show itself at different times on your journey.

I hope this helps a little. And welcome to Shamanic Druid!
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

hitenshi

Post by hitenshi » 17 Sep 2006, 15:14

THank you! That does help.

I've had a few animal guides for a while now, but just recently met my power animal - a lion.

(also learned the name of my spirit guide, then went and forgot it  :whistle: )

Seeker
OBOD Druid

Post by Seeker » 17 Sep 2006, 17:37

A slight disagreement here, Hitenshi...(guess it depends on who you ask)

According to most shamans (or those who study the original original shamanism) individuals cannot have "totem" animals - see article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totem

I also consider a power animal different than guides...
"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought."
Matsuo Basho

Celtic Knight
OBOD Bard

Post by Celtic Knight » 25 Sep 2006, 18:47

I was taught that we each have a "totem animal" that accompanies us on journeys. This is a spirit in animal form.

We may have other "power animals" that stay with us when we particularly need the traits/qualities they can offer. They come and go over time.

There are also "Totems" that represent the spirit of a type of animal - the whole species. These are not the same as an individual's or group's totem animal.
Worldes Blysse

ImageImageImage

hitenshi

Post by hitenshi » 25 Sep 2006, 21:43

Seeker wrote:A slight disagreement here, Hitenshi...(guess it depends on who you ask)

According to most shamans (or those who study the original original shamanism) individuals cannot have "totem" animals - see article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totem

I also consider a power animal different than guides...

OK... totems make much more sense now - thank you for the link.

Can you explain what the differences are - to you - between power animals & guides?

Crowsfeet
OBOD Bard

Post by Crowsfeet » 25 Sep 2006, 21:58

OK, now I'm confused.  Maybe I never did know the difference.   :oops:

Ellyn

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Post by Kat Lady » 25 Sep 2006, 22:28

Don't be confused, Ellen. The words and phrases "totem", "spirit guides", "power animals" are all used to basically discuss the same general idea: we have animals of the spirit and sometimes the flesh that are a part of us and/or guide us through this journey we call life.

Each shamanic practice or tradition may use a different phrase. But it is really semantics in the end.  

Here is a link that may help, specifically more with Native American traditions:
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/NA-Totems.html

So maybe it doesn't matter what you call the spirit animals that come and become a part of us. Maybe the fact that they come is more important than the name they are given. What matters most is the fact that you share your lifetimes with those whose spirit is one with you and who help you to become better individuals.
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Post by Donata » 25 Sep 2006, 22:34

Hi Ellyn,

Just for myself, I think we can be overly concerned with the category an animal that chooses to come to us may belong in - power animal, ally, guide, totem.

When you have a friend, you may be aware of nationality, or race, or political party, or religion, or any number of other things. However the important thing will be your compatibility and connection. Same for the animals you meet and those who work with you. The important thing is that you develop the relationship with respect and appreciation for the aid the animal chooses to give you.

I realize not everyone will agree with me, but that's how I see it.

Good luck,
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Celtic Knight
OBOD Bard

Post by Celtic Knight » 26 Sep 2006, 07:42

I do tend to agree with the view that there is no reason to worry about what type of spirit we might meet on journeys. Why does it matter?

I guess, if it's important to know, they'll tell us.

Just my view!
Worldes Blysse

ImageImageImage

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Post by meghanst » 26 Sep 2006, 14:08

During a meditation once I became a black leopard (panther). I’m sure this was internal rather than external because I started and ended (when I came out of the meditation) sitting in exactly the same spot. I couldn’t see all of myself as the panther, only the black paws beneath me and could effortlessly leapt up and down from high walls and run at high speed through dense jungle. It is an amazing experience, to feel the surefootedness, knowing exactly where each paw is, where every branch and twig is and at such speed.

I’m not at all an athletic person. I do 20 minutes of yoga exercises twice a day and enjoy long leisurely walks along the beach so this speed and dynamic energy and knowing where I was at high speed, were something never previously experienced.  I’ve since had some less dramatic meditations as a panther (I am always the panther) and just accepted this was 'my' animal. But with all the different types you speak of I’m rather confused, what actually is my panther?

Crowsfeet
OBOD Bard

Post by Crowsfeet » 26 Sep 2006, 17:11

Kat Lady - Thanks for the awesome web site and the wise advice.

Donata - I agree, very wise advice.  Relax and learn.

Thanks, Ellyn

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”