Meditation and Nausea

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
meghanst
OBOD Bard

Meditation and Nausea

Postby meghanst » 26 Dec 2006, 08:42

I'm adding a poll but there are no instructions on how to do it. I'd like a yes or no to the question plus comments in the poll but also please post detailed ideas and experiences.

For many years I’ve been trying to determine why nausea sometimes accompanies meditation as this has sometimes affected me in various types and levels of meditation. Therefore it was with interest that I read unicawn’s comment in ‘Altered States of Consciousness’ that she also experienced this.

Has it occurred to anyone else? Does anyone have any ideas on what causes it?

Hennie
OBOD Druid

Postby Hennie » 26 Dec 2006, 09:49

Yes, it his happened to me.

I think that I was inhaling too much (kind of hyperventilation) or too litte, so that I had an oxygen shortage.

Hennie

Scylla
OBOD Ovate

Postby Scylla » 26 Dec 2006, 12:23

Hi

I felt it in my last sweat lodge, and the facilitators told us it is natural, it´s a way to release bad stuff, like if you suddenly need to go to the bathroom.

:hiya:
You don´t choose your believes, your believes choose you.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Postby meghanst » 26 Dec 2006, 12:24

[quote="Hennie"] I had an oxygen shortage.

Thanks for your comments. We should actually need less oxygen during meditation which is why yogis can be burried alive for an extended period without enough air and still survive. Were you doing any Pranayama/breathing exercises as part of the meditation?

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Postby meghanst » 26 Dec 2006, 12:28

[quote="Scylla"] I felt it in my last sweat lodge, and the facilitators told us it is natural, it´s a way to release bad stuff

I've never been in a sweat lodge, do you meditate? Did the facilitator say whether the bad stuff was physical or emotional?

Hennie
OBOD Druid

Postby Hennie » 26 Dec 2006, 12:48

Hi meghanst,

I don't practise pranayama ('death of the life force/breath'), but I am doing breathing exercises allmost evetytime I meditate.

Hennie

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 26 Dec 2006, 19:46

I really can't comment personally as I haven't experienced nausea when meditating. The breath or lack of breath sounds reasonable to me.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

meghanst
OBOD Bard

death of the life force

Postby meghanst » 31 Dec 2006, 09:42

Thanks to everyone for your comments, they provide some new ideas.

[quote="Hennie"] "... pranayama ('death of the life force/breath'), ... '

Hennie I'm intrigued to know why you say pranayama is death of life force, and am interested to hear any criticisms of yoga. Even though I practice it, I'd be the first to admit it has dangers. Would you tell us more please?

Hennie
OBOD Druid

Postby Hennie » 01 Jan 2007, 16:08

Hello Meganst,
Yama is the Sanskrit name of the God of Death. Prana is something like the energy that gives life to a body : 'breath of life". Together they make up the word Pranayama. I think it's a good thing to control your breath, not to kill it.

Hennie

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 01 Jan 2007, 17:55

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pranayama

Erm. Apparently Yama is more accurately translated as "conduct, discipline", and pranayama hence the art of controlling the life force.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Hennie
OBOD Druid

Postby Hennie » 01 Jan 2007, 18:13

Well, what about this interpretation of Yama (scroll down on the link page)

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resourc ... n/y-z.html

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 01 Jan 2007, 18:45

Yours comes first, mine second on that page...
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Hennie
OBOD Druid

Postby Hennie » 01 Jan 2007, 19:44

If I understand Yoga correctly the ultimate goal of the Yogi is to be able to die in the instant he decides to die, not by any violent means, but purely be executing his will power. Pranayama could well fit this concept, I think. But I am not sure that I support the goal; perhaps it is better to just let things happen?

Hennie

meghanst
OBOD Bard

translation of pranayama

Postby meghanst » 02 Jan 2007, 05:39

The translation of pranayama as control of breath/life force is a mistranslation by Westerners who do not understand the philosophy of traditional yoga, which is why we don’t call the God Yama, God of Control. At the same time it does not mean death. Pranayama means cessation of breath/life force. This meaning also makes more sense with the God Yama being the cessation of living.

Cessation of breath/life force does not mean death. If you cease doing something you can start it again. You only need read the many verified accounts of yogis being buried alive with very little air and dug up a week later still alive, to realize they must have ceased or almost ceased breathing. Meditation and pranayama, practiced correctly for long enough, will slow the breath/life force until it is almost stopped, like a form of hibernation.

The aim of yoga is not death, it is the stopping of the treadmill of life-death cycle (reincarnation) and all the pain that goes with it, which is done by realisation (complete knowing and acceptance) that the atman within each person is a spark of the divine (The atman is similar to the Christian soul but not the same as everything, even a grain of sand, has an atman, only in a grain of sand the atman is not very big, nor very lively).

This same aim, of stopping the painful treadmill cycle of life and death, is the aim of all of the different philosophies of Hinduism including traditional yoga and may or may not result in death. If the enlightened person decides to continue living to help the human race, they do not die.

While it's common to have moments or short periods of enlightenment (mainly during meditation), it is extremely rare to be fully enlightened all the time and when this occurs one has a huge amount of power such as full control of kundalini. Even raising kundalini a small amount for more than a few moments is relatively rare.

Scylla
OBOD Ovate

Postby Scylla » 02 Jan 2007, 17:27

I felt it in my last sweat lodge, and the facilitators told us it is natural, it´s a way to release bad stuff

I've never been in a sweat lodge, do you meditate? Did the facilitator say whether the bad stuff was physical or emotional?
Hi

Yes, I do meditate, not as often as I should, but sometimes I find the time to do it. I only felt the nausea at the sweat lodge, probably because of the heat and the facilitators told us it´s emotional bad stuff going out.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

emotional bad stuff

Postby meghanst » 03 Jan 2007, 10:29

[quote="Scylla"] facilitators told us it´s emotional bad stuff going out

Thanks Scylla, this is what I was really interested in, opinions on whether it's physical or emotional or a combination of both. But why does it happen to some people and not others as everyone would have some emotional bad stuff? Did many people in your group have nausea?

Scylla
OBOD Ovate

Postby Scylla » 03 Jan 2007, 17:49

We were 7 people inside the lodge, and some of us felt the nausea.

Not everyone have the same approach to emotional issues, so everyone react in different ways, form the "that´s life" to the "why me" there is a long variety to choose.

Sometimes the way of release the bad stuff is in the ordinary physical ways. After a meditation, have you ever felt the urge to go to the bathroom? that´s another way.  :grin:

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”