Shape-shifting

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
EarthWard

Shape-shifting

Postby EarthWard » 13 Apr 2004, 21:03

What is it? What does it mean to you? Why use it?
:daraoi:

Orianda

Postby Orianda » 15 Apr 2004, 03:45

Cool question....It means for me that you can see thru their eyes...move as they do...temporarily become whatever, for whatever reason you shapeshifted into. I didn't exactly believe in it till it happed to me an let me tell ya....a birds vision is very different from ours an takes some getting used too!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

if it hadn't of been for that fact I wouldn't of believed it was real.

Merlyn
OBOD Druid

Shape shifting,

Postby Merlyn » 15 Apr 2004, 13:38

Shape shifting brings wisdom to you from the life around you. In the chant below, it is the traditional progression through the ladder of the spirit. It can also progress through the charkas of the body.

Chant of Amairgen

I am the wind that blows o’er the sea
I am the wave of the deep
I am the bull of seven battles
I am the eagle on the rock
I am a tear of the sun
I am the fairest of plants
I am a boar of courage
I am a salmon in the water
I am a lake on the plain
I am the word of knowledge
I am the head of the battle-dealing spear
I am the god who fashions fire in the head
Image :emerit:
Dyro, Dduw, dy nawdd;
ac yn nawdd, nerth;
ac yn nerth, ddeall;
ac yn neall, gwybod;
ac o wybod, gwybod yn gyfiawn;
ac o wybod yn gyfiawn ei garu;
ac o garu, caru Duw.
Duw a phob daioni.

SidheAingeal
OBOD Bard

Postby SidheAingeal » 16 Apr 2004, 02:07

To me, shapeshifting is about taking a moment outside of yourself, taking a break from your everyday life, being able to see through the eyes of our animal brothers and sisters. It gives us a whole new perspective of the world.

Angel :angel:

SolasIdircheo

Postby SolasIdircheo » 17 Apr 2004, 04:11

Frank MacEowen gives a great little description of shapeshifting in his book The Mist-Filled Path:

"The ancient shamanic practice of shape-shifting is essentially the bioenergetic practice of attuning the rhythm of one's own shape to the rhythm of something in the natural world so that we may share its consciousness. When we begin to discern the grand shape of things, we become one with the forest, the stream, the raven, the earth. This may sound far-fetched but even some scientists are beginning to articulate a paradigm of physics that mirrors the perennial vision of druidism and shamanism. Jean E. Charon, a french physicist, for instance, has this to say, 'An electron that was successively part of a tree, a human being, a tiger, and another human being will thus remember for all time the experiences it has collected during these different lives. The electron will maintain in itself all of its experiences as tree, as human being No. 1, as tiger, and as human being No. 2, to whos organism it belongs at certain times.'"

Hope that was helpful, and I highly recommend his book, he's a fantastic writer and teacher.

Orianda

Postby Orianda » 17 Apr 2004, 19:34

Brilliant Response!
:grin: :D :grin:

Thanks for the heads up on a author new to me....Looks great!

SolasIdircheo

Postby SolasIdircheo » 17 Apr 2004, 23:59

Yeah, I definately recommend checking him out. He wrote The Mist-Filled Path and just came out with a new one called The Spiral of Memory and Belonging. Also if you get a chance to take one of his workshops or anything, its a great opportunity to work with him in person.

Night Hawk

Postby Night Hawk » 18 Apr 2004, 00:26

I've never "shape-shifted" before. They don't talk about it in the Course. Not sure if I believe in it, really. :???:
:coll: Current read: Earthsea TrilogyUrsula K. LeGuin
http://www.midrealm.org/starleafgate/
http://www.witchesofwindsor.com

Loosh

Postby Loosh » 18 Apr 2004, 17:36

I had a great dream recently where I shape-shifted into a rabbit!! It was really funny! I was attending a Druid ritual in the woods in my shape-shifted form. I could see people in white clothing running through the woods laughing, dancing, playing music and building a fire. They had some dogs with them. I was enjoying being there with them and really was not aware at first that I had shape-shifted! The dogs left the group and came toward me. The lead dog stopped a few feet away and just stood there with his nose down, very quiet. I thought they might bark at first but they didn't. They seemed to recognize that I wasn't an ordinary rabbit!! The dog then whined briefly and lead the other dogs back to the Druid group. I was then aware that I had shape-shifted and saw the ground close-up -- that was the end of the dream. I think my "cover" was blown by the dogs!!! They somehow knew I wasn't a real rabbit!!
:o

Azrienoch

Postby Azrienoch » 18 Apr 2004, 18:35

I'm not sure if I really want to share this, but oh well.

I remember my first sexual dream, in which I was a squirrel. I'm still not sure just how I should interpret that...

Loosh

Postby Loosh » 18 Apr 2004, 18:46

Azrienoch!
A squirrel? There are so many of them around...they must be very active sexually. You must have had a great time!
:o

EarthWard

Postby EarthWard » 18 Apr 2004, 21:39

Azrienoch, besides the fact that was very funny because it is not a story one hears everyday, I would also think that it was a VERY powerful dream and a core example of shape-shifting.

hawthorn

Postby hawthorn » 18 Apr 2004, 22:48

Greetings NightHawk,

Shapeshifting is exactly as it says, ...to shift shape
In Taliesin's story he shapeshifts into numerous animals as a means of escape.
A story as a Bard, you might be familiar with.
I did have a chuckle about the squirrel Azrienoch. Though it seems a powerful experience, more so because it wasnt what you expect. and it could have been worse lol.
I started to shift shape as soon as I started to meditate regularly.
But it all dropped off for a while, when I started to raise a family

http://www.rainbowcrystal.com/news/squirrel.html
Squirrel Medicine
Squirrel is the gatherer. It is through Squirrel medicine that we learn to to gather and store our energies so they are available at times when they are most needed. Squirrel teaches us the wisdom of preparing for the future, and not squandering all that we have on today

http://www.tarotstar.net/totem_animals.htm
Bright Blessings to you all,
:huathe: Hawthorn :panther:
The depth of a soul cannot be measured by what appears on the surface.

Night Hawk

Postby Night Hawk » 19 Apr 2004, 01:18

Yes, I've read the story of Taliesin, but I didn't know it was "shapeshifting".....More of a birth.... :???:
:coll: Current read: Earthsea TrilogyUrsula K. LeGuin
http://www.midrealm.org/starleafgate/
http://www.witchesofwindsor.com

Piastra
Deceased

Postby Piastra » 19 Apr 2004, 05:28

oooo....

shifting is a very serious subject. night hawk, i assure you, i NEVER belived in it myself, until i starting working so closely with the differnt native tribes, and learned how they viewd it, and with each tribe it was culturally diffreent than another. then, i underwent a rather odd ceremony with a chief, being asked to eat certain meats he had just chewed for me. once i had done that, i noticed that shifting just came upon me at first. and i shifted into the forms of the animals i had eaten in that ceremony. i have gained more control over the whole event, and can now usually call upon the animal of need. sometimes, my body just WANTS to be something else, and i can feel like i am being pulled into a vortex, like going down a roller coater ride. i know i am about to shift, and i have to make a concious effort not to do it if the time is not appropriate. there are definite physical changes that go along with shifting. all the senses are affected. anyway, it is something i woill be addressing later in a new work i am producing.

carragh
EVER IN SEARCH OF THE WICKERMAN...

EarthWard

Postby EarthWard » 19 Apr 2004, 16:48

This Frank MacEowen guy. I'm going to have to check him out. I picked up the Mist-filled path once but I did not buy it although it looked good. Have you been to one of his lectures?

I think dreaming is an excellent example of shape-shifting because a number of us have had this experience and who was to say the difference if it was real are not. In the dream you did not know the difference. Maybe this is because 'An electron that was successively part of a tree, a human being, a tiger, and another human being will thus remember for all time the experiences it has collected during these different lives. Who knows? I rarely care for explanations. I'm much more concerned with how it makes me feel internally.
So if we could only dream while we are awake.Hmmmmm

SolasIdircheo

Postby SolasIdircheo » 19 Apr 2004, 19:05

A lot of books can tell you more history than Frank does, and a lot of them can tell you more of the particulars of tradition and practice. What Frank does in the Mist-Filled Path is capture the beauty and spirit of the Celtic traditions and at the same time 'orients you to your holy senses' as he puts it. Its quite a read. I was at a workshop of his last December called Reverend Heart, Radient Mind and it was really great. I'm also going with a small group he's leading on a pilgrimage around Ireland next fall. Check out his website if your interested in his work: http://www.solasdana.org.

Its interesting to note that for the most part our ancestors did not view dreaming in the same way we did. And why would they? They were awake, they lived, they communicated with an saol eile, the Otherworld. They went to sleep, and sometimes they dreamt- they lived out their lives even while the body was asleep. Celtic consciousness tends to see things as spiralling around, a dyanmic ebbing and flowing of different tides. If we look at the year we can see that fundamentally it was divided into two halves, giamos and samos; dark and light. If we look at some of the comments made about their view on death, "death is the center of long life", we see it once again in this idea that you live out your time here, and then when you die you continue living in the Otherworld. And the cycles go on and on, working in a spiral. So its easy to see with this logic how they may have viewed sleep and dreams. Each day we live our lives in the physical, and each night we live in the Otherworld. So not only does the day grow from darkness, and then die at sunset, but we go through the same cycle with it. Each day we grow from darkness as well, wake up, live our lives here, and then "die" when we go to sleep. I don't mean to suggest that they actually believed sleep was death, but rather that this was just another smaller cycle of rebirth within a larger one of the Celtic year when we along with the world are reborn at Samhain; within an even larger one of our very lives; living, dying, rebirth.

Nine waves of peace,
SolasIdircheo

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 19 Apr 2004, 20:27

The only non-human shape I've ever consistly shifted into is wolf (I've told it before so I won't bore you with it here) but the liberation is tremendous... for me it's hard to say which is my true self at times because after the first time, it feels so natural and relaxing. To go through the woods and underbrush more surefootedly than my human form ever allows, the increased sense of smell and hearing, the lightness I feel in my paws to go skyclad yet not feel the lack of covering no matter what weather or time of year. It is what I would choose to return here as in another lifetime. I am very glad to be back online... I missed you bunch, missed the daily checking in and reading the posts. yeah... Wolfies baaack! :wolfmoon:
blessings, Peter
Love people and use things, NOT use people and love things...

Piastra
Deceased

Postby Piastra » 19 Apr 2004, 20:53

and we are delighted to have you back, mage, me old friend...

carragh
EVER IN SEARCH OF THE WICKERMAN...

EarthWard

Postby EarthWard » 19 Apr 2004, 21:56

Howl!!!! :wolfmoon:

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”