Shape-shifting

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Lassara

Postby Lassara » 28 Apr 2004, 23:18

well personnally after recent experiences I believe we can be anything tree, birds stone , soil, concrete anything because we are everything we just reside in this form... its still pretty scetchy at this point but very anxious to learn more.

Ive also believed in physical shapeshifting for awhile and have strongly connected to a panther spirit last year and could almost feel myself running through the grass and I longed for it greatly but had no success

Ive always been a psycological shapeshifter because I'm an empath and as a child I used this as a defense mechanism. I would feel energy and emotion and memorize this and replay what people expected of me. Ive also had an almost magic ability to hide and remain unseen especially at night which is saying something considering i'm 6'1".

I havnt really thought about this so much till recently .. I was wondering if it was actually magical and tryed to hide in plain site. twice I blended into a wall and others could not see me but I thought it was a bit of a distance from them and it was night so the other day I waited by a metal pole in a well lit street. It worked again this time I had someone walk within four feet of me and walked right past. I asked if she seen me and she swore she didnt .. anyway though this was initially exciting I also discovered something far more interesting. When I was connected to the pole at certain points I truely felt I was the pole . More interesting while walking away a little while latter I could truely feel the energy in everything every grain of soil , the concrete the wires and everything else. I also felt we were all the same. Ive felt this for awhile with plants and animals but although Ive felt the energy of the earth I never truely realized that everything is alive and the same as us even the manmade structures. Things most people even myself used to thing of as dead or corrupt ..

In anycase yeah I believe we can shapechange into anything.

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 29 Apr 2004, 02:12

It sounds as though you are reaching a Zen type of extending yourself, which I find very interesting. A plane in which everything is nothing and nothing is everything (as my sig line in the Duck says...) Keep us posted (literally) about how you get on with this approach. Dissapearing like a Chesshire cat can definitrely have advantages for a druid or any other person travelling a path where danger lies around the next turn.
blessings, Peter
Love people and use things, NOT use people and love things...

AnonyMoose

Postby AnonyMoose » 03 May 2004, 01:17

Hmmm... it sounds like thief logic. The best place to 'hide' a stolen car is in a busy parking lot, the best place to be unnoticed as a wild animal is in the woods, or the best place disappear as a human is usually in the middle of a crowd, but to lose yourself with such success in a place where there are few people around and you're large? I need to learn this technique before next moose-hunting season!
:antler:

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 03 May 2004, 01:22

It's a zen thing I tell you... hide the moose? Sounds kind of kinky... :-)
blessings, Peter

Lassara

Postby Lassara » 09 May 2004, 14:52

you know I got the idea from something mentioned in a book called shapeshifting by John Perkins. Good book too. But in it he hid from his wife on a chair by melding (I forget the words he used) with it.

Ive always had a nack for hiding and thought I'd give it a go. I realize I used a lot more then just what I mentioned in getting there but it gets complicated from there but the book helped alot.

In any case ive been working further on this and actually had limited success connecting to the wind and becoming unseen but I really had my doubts so it didnt work that well. WHat I have started to work on though is furthering my theory of all coming from one source or the same life energy .... Ive been thinking .... after doing that excercize I felt life energy in everythingand ive been thinking a lot latly that due to my sytrong empathy I am effectively everyone around me... im having an amazingly hard time putting this in words. but the simple way of saying it is we are all one right now with everything and we are just one bieng .. everything not just things we used to percieve as life but everything we just simulate seperation sort of like multiple personality syndrome.. so I ... or you if you prefer am the keyboard I type on and the moniter we see now.

anyway thats just where this is going
and now hopefully I or we can go to sleep now

:)

Peace

Lassara

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 10 May 2004, 04:10

Lassara, it sounds like the ultimate symbiotic relationship or inter-relationship. Yes it is very zen, also very much as Obi-wan explained about the Force... many fractal parts of one all-encompassing oneness. It is the one-ness that links us to each other, and it is that which allows us to feel the pain of nature as well as it's joy. It allows us to empath with others and share life in the fullest sense with those around us. It would also explain why you are able to merge your energies with the other life-forms around you to 'blend' to the extent you described. I only once or twice had anything that I sensed remotely like what you describe. One was many years ago when I was meditating that I found I was transparent... the wind literally was blowing through me; not around or over, but through.
The other was about a quarter century ago when I was in danger in the forest and hid by kneeling in the leaves & needles on the foreest floor, assuming a fetal shape on the face of the warm earth. As I often do, I was wearing earthy-toned clothes, but I was apparently mistaken for a rock as the man who posed a danger to me walked past only a few feet distant and did not see me. I was in plain sight, huddled on the ground and it was open forest floor... yet he didn't see me. I waited until he was gone over a ridge and well away before I slowly got up and retraced my steps back the way I had come and left the area. The person in question meant me serious bodily harm for no particular reason, but I have often wondered how I escaped notice that evening. Maybe it is something that can take place in time of great need also?
blessings, Peter

HawkT

seen but unseen....

Postby HawkT » 16 May 2004, 02:04

I wondered about being unseen when I was a child, and like some of us here seemed to be able to utalise this gift as a means of survival... Your sharing Wolfwalker, triggered many memories I had as a child, willing to be unseen and not being seen... I remember just willing myself not to be seen, standing/sitting/lying perfectly still and just shallow but long breathes, imagining that all the person saw was what was behind and around me.... It was bizzare on some levels as the person could walk right up to me and yet still not see me, though it kinda failed with me mum once when I had supposedly done something that she felt warranted a hiding, and I stood in front of some cupboard doors where our cockery was kept, willed her not to see me and she came into the kitchen fuming as normal, I kept thinking you can't see me, let it go, you can't see me, let it go... and then she decided to stop looking for me and get a cuppa and didn't see me till she touched me when reaching for a cup in the cupboard I was standing in front of, I'm sure she went white then the rage of before and the then hit like a thunderclap! I ran like a rabbit that day! Stayed out most of the night too till I knew she had fallen asleep drunk again... It also helped me keep my abusers at bay if I knew they were coming... which wasn't always the case, but I do know that it did help me often enough to make me think that it was something special to be able to do...

I sometimes still ustalise it when I just want to be left alone or needing space or wanting to see what's going on without anyone realising that I'm there. But I've also discovered that if I try too hard it doesn't happen, probably that zen thing of balance while I shift into that space...

I kinda got to thinking about the onion anaology that was used in the time thread, and wondered whether we do step into another "pocket" / "layer" during that time so that we can't be seen or is it that we somehow become one with all? I've never been able to figure out how I do it totally, but just know that it's darn handy to do at times....

I know of another thing that it's great to read of others similar experiences and think, cool, I'm not alone or going crazy?.... :lol:

Blessings HawkT

SkyBear

Postby SkyBear » 16 May 2004, 04:10

HawkT

No you are not going crazy!

I'd just like to say that I feel the pain in your words but I also feel the strength within them.

There have been many times I have wrapped myself in the shadows of the mother and creation. It is always good to have a time out every now and then.

Peace to all,

SkyBear

Night Hawk

Postby Night Hawk » 16 May 2004, 22:30

I like going for walks and checking out all the greenery around. Everything is so lovely and restful-looking.
:ailim:
:coll: Current read: Earthsea TrilogyUrsula K. LeGuin
http://www.midrealm.org/starleafgate/
http://www.witchesofwindsor.com

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 17 May 2004, 02:58

I don't know if this is truly scientific or just coincidental... it is something I have observed from my own life and things I have been told in counseling by others who were also abused, sexually, physically, emotionally... That from some 'unknown' inner source they were able to do as I was in the forest and become part of the surroundings for protection.
Whether this is the person's own energy projecting a 'veil of protection' about them or whether some other force enters into play at these times, It is not an unknown phenomenon, but it certainly isn't an everyday occurrance either even for those who have had it happen to them rather often. I am only glad it exists / occurs at all, even occaisionally.
blesings, Peter

HawkT

shapeshifting....

Postby HawkT » 19 May 2004, 21:53

Is it possible Wolfwalker that it is a combination of both personal 'ones own veil of protection' and outside forces coming together in a moment of unity? Is is possible, that perhaps the outside forces, whether it be the earth Mother, spirit or unknown is compelled to protect the one in need by helping it shift into a state of unseen?.... Like a mother is compelled to protect her young when in danger?

Bless your thoughts, for they have provoked more within me! LOL! Ahhhh, the simplicities, wonders, complexities and mysteries of this blessed walk is so phenominal to wonder and marvel apon! I often find when I have been in a space where I have become unseen, that when I do reappear, that I feel extremely creative, uplifted and rearing to do something? What are the emotions, thoughts and external feelings when anyone of you are able to have precious moments of shapeshifting?.... Anyone else feeling this when they have had these moments? hmmm, is this created from within, or stirred up from external influences of being alive? or a combination of it all.... hmmmmm,,,, more thoughts to ponder! LOL!

Blessings HawkT

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 20 May 2004, 01:01

As I think I mentioned elsewhere here in the shaman room, I feel at my most alive and aware when I shape-change! My senses are heightened, I am very aware of not being a late 40s man but a wild creature, free from arthritis, able to move as they do over rough wild places and see and sense things my human self only catches moments in time of on rare occaisions. Afterwards, I feel refreshed and revitalized, often not wanting to return to my human body, though I know I must. It is a very interesting question in it's own right, apart from the hiding/ invisible one we had been discussing here. I'll ponder this...
blessings, Peter

Night Hawk

Postby Night Hawk » 20 May 2004, 02:08

I don't shape-shift.......But I sure can relate to that kind of freedom when I sing.....Sometimes it's like flying.....
:coll: Current read: Earthsea TrilogyUrsula K. LeGuin
http://www.midrealm.org/starleafgate/
http://www.witchesofwindsor.com

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 20 May 2004, 02:23

Give it time, maybe it is a gift waiting to be uncovered. Even so, whatever is able to truly lift us beyond this plane and above ourself is a gift in it's own right. The working in Awen is not a gift all have either. Stand in the place where you are and reach beyond it as far as you can until you are able to reach further...
blessings, Peter

taranhill
OBOD Bard

Postby taranhill » 20 May 2004, 07:22

Hey all, these last few posts remind me of when I was looking into Mongolian shamanism a few years back. The Mongols as well as some Native American groups prepared for their shamanitic and sometime shape shifting journeys through zoological sounds, chants, and song. Night Hawk, perhaps you could work at this end of researching shape shifting and working with / | \ . I remember drumming, chanting, and dancing have been key in these exercises. Many Celtic poems, like the one shared earler, seem to carry this kind of tradition. If any one is interested they might read “THE SHAMAN AS THE ZOOMORPHIC HUMAN” at http://haldjas.folklore.ee/folklore/vol4/triinu.htm

Its kind of academic but interesting no the less.
Thanks, Blessings, and Prayers from under the oaks,
Taran /|\

Dobhran
OBOD Druid

Postby Dobhran » 07 Jul 2004, 15:31

I've had a shapeshifting experience just a couple of days ago. My totem animal (yep, the otter) took me for a swim down a river. It's just amazing being able to see the world through the eyes of an animal. I can totally understand that you sometimes don't want to return to your human body Wolfwalker. It's inspiring, revitalising & just a fantastic experience.
Blessings,
the other Peter :D

Piastra
Deceased

Postby Piastra » 08 Jul 2004, 17:44

dohbran,

the otter has always fascinated me. always. it is not one i shift to, but when i first arrived on my alaskan island i was warned about my fascination with the otters there. it is primarily a norwegian island, and they say the otters shift to man at night (they have a name for them in this shifted state, but i forget it at the moment) and come ashore to claim a woman. when they leave her in the wee hours to slip back into the ocean, she is supposed to be grieved to the point of crying enough tears to fill said ocean. i did make an otter friend or two, by tossing them clams and mussels, but alas! no nocturne visits for me...

good to see you posting...

hugs,
carragh
EVER IN SEARCH OF THE WICKERMAN...

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 08 Jul 2004, 20:06

Well Carragh... call Fish & Wildlife and find out what their favorite foods are and serve them a smorgasbord of tempting delights that lead all the way to your place... maybe you'll get your otter-native experience you want then! :-)
love, Peter

Soaring_Eagle

Shapeshifting

Postby Soaring_Eagle » 10 Jul 2004, 01:16

I've always seen it to mean to take on the form of an animal in meditation. I've shape shifted into eagles (bald and golden), a red tail hawk, a peregrine falcon, a dolphin, a seal, a selkie, and dragons.

For me those meditations were very profound moments. I felt as if I were soaring through the sky like a bird in flight or swimming deep in the ocean like a dolphin or seal.

I also have dreams and mediations full of animals, fae, and Celtic deities very frequently. :eaglehead:

Drom
OBOD Bard

shapeshifting

Postby Drom » 10 Jul 2004, 05:53

Once when I was about 15 a friend of mine and I were very much into meditation and the martial arts and psychic paranormal activity. We played with hypnosis using a strobe. One night we were out in a field behind the local highschool and we meditated with the concious thought to change into a wolf......he began to run around on all fours and howl and what not. I myself did not go that direction...it was wierd but I stood perfectly still on a fallen log and lifted my head toward the starry night sky and felt my body change. I felt energy surround me as if I was almost to the point of levitation. I could see clearer and breath deeper. It was an incredibly exhilarating feeling that I have never again been able to produce.
After it was all over and we were walking home he told me with a straight face that I scared him. I asked him why and he said that while he was running around on all fours he turned to look at me and he said that he saw in my place a tall silvery slender being enveloped in light. He said it was really weird.
So, there is my shapeshifting story. Dont' have the slightest idea what happened that night, but there ya have it.
I am the Captain of my destiney, my fate is in my hands.

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”