Shape-shifting

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
colm

Postby colm » 12 Jul 2004, 01:35

I believe that there are many different variables to shapeshifting. The how the why it is all different for everyone. I believe it is very possible. I myself have had many different experiences with it, though none without help. It was explained to me on the theory that everything living or not is made up of energy. By changing the vibrations of your Self's energy you can hence become anything. My first experiences with shapeshifting were purly accidental and were given to me as a mode of escape from a restrictive childhood. I would become one with whichever element was most readily available to me. Or I would become a bird and fly away. As an adult I have had two quasi on purpose experiences, both with the aid of a guide. The first experience was that of a snake. I found myself following one and as I followed, I found that I was able to go where it went, odd since last I checked I was far to large to fit down such a small hole. I found myself among many other snakes using each other to shed their skins. It was a very moving and powerful experience. The second was that of a wolf and was equally as exciting as the first. Both of my adult experiences were a way for my guides to teach me how to adapt to my human life using animal experiences.

So I guess what I am saying is that the how and reasons for shapeshifting may be as varied and unique as each person who experiences it. I have found that the most prohibitive factor as with anything is fear.

Hope this helps.
Colm

Stohornugle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Stohornugle » 31 Jul 2004, 22:21

I have been an eagle in a dream although briefly and for me that was about getting a different perspective on things although briefly. I wasn't fully an eagle part of me was aware that i'm very very scared of heights.

Shapara

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 01 Aug 2004, 00:25

And yet in your unconscious mind, beyond the artificial barriers that your fears have placed there, you long to soar high above everything. The most common experiences or cerrtainly of first ones are during dream-time when the mind is more open, the restraints of "real life" are eased and the mind is freed to do what it cannot in everyday life... May the blessings of the Blue Moon be with you this Lughnasadh, Peter
Love people and use things, NOT use people and love things...

Stohornugle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Stohornugle » 01 Aug 2004, 11:11

You are so right wolfwalker I feel that my phobia about heights limits me greatly from standing on cliff tops to flying on aeroplanes.

Shapara

dria

shapeshifting is great

Postby dria » 21 Aug 2004, 05:37

I have a friend who gave me a book which has shapeshifting in it and I've been know to shape shift as well, and I do it in much the same way as the book says.
You feel your aura change into a shape of an animal and you just flow into it. I'm still learning how to do it, and take control of it dria.
:oakfall:
All of nature is our teacher including the five elements.

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 23 Aug 2004, 02:22

My only advice is to keep a thread of connectedness to your human self during this experience, especially when you enter the realm of shifting at will and for prolonged periods of time, or you may find yourself unavble or unwilling to return. Just a cautionary sidebar note.
blessings, Peter

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

really changing your shape

Postby wyeuro » 23 Aug 2004, 04:10

I did a lot of future work during the past few decades and was shown some aspects of the future of our planet and the human race. We seem to be destined to become very magical beings, to be able to lift our bodies, physiology and all, off the material plane and onto ethereal, astral whatever planes and back with ease. We'll also be able to change completely, body, soul and all into any animal or other form we choose.

Different people will develop different skills so humans will become very diverse.

As druids, we're now taking our first steps towards this - experiencing through the faculties of other animals plants and so on - even planets and stars - while in our material bodies, and becoming receptive to our astral, ethereal and other 'spirit' bodies' experiences while they are in other forms, through dreams, trance and meditation.

Here's a song that facilitates this shape-shifting 'limbering -up'. You should start with the four elements - an t-aer (air), an tine (fire), an t-uisce (water), an talamh (earth) and that powerfully empowers you for plants, animals and other more adventurous things, especially if you do in in a properly cast circle. (I keep turning into my computer, trying to find out what's wrong with the poor thing!)

Cloisim an crann (or whatever) ag caint liom
'S m/e f/ainne, 's m/e bis
'S m/e crann (pause and experience)
'S dra/iod/ur m/e
'S dra/iod/ur m/e
'S dra/iod/ur m/e
awen awen awen

In English:
I hear the (animal, element, entity you want to experience from within) talking to me
I am a circle, I am a spiral
I am a (whatever) (pause and experience)
I am a druid
I am a druid
I am a druid
awen awen awen

The final four lines bring you safely back to your own shape and centre you in awen.

You can chant or sing it to whatever tune you like.

Blessed be

Wyverne /|\

CopperLion

Postby CopperLion » 24 Aug 2004, 22:05

Hhmmmm, wish I could shapeshift, but it has never happened for me. I've had many encounters with and experienced being non-human creatures, but they are not of this world and not animal spirits. I'm not sure what this would be called.

:???:

"We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future. "
- George Bernard Shaw

Wolfwalker

Postby Wolfwalker » 25 Aug 2004, 00:20

L,
I'd say that your version of shape-shifting is as inventive and magical as your artwork! Blessings, Peter

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 27 Aug 2004, 10:34

Hi,
this from a poem called Odin's Raven-Dream which is usually not included in translations as part of the Poetic Edda...

The divinities see
Nauma grieving
in the wolf's home;
given a wolf-skin,
she clad herself therein,
changed disposition,
delighted in guile,
shifted her shape.

Cheers, Dave.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Branbeith

Postby Branbeith » 16 Jan 2005, 14:16

Wow, you really know how how to put volumes in your questions...just a few simple words hidden innocently within a question a child could ask. Seconds to ask - but years to explain...Ok let me try.

Shape shifting, for me at least, is a way to connect with nature, my guides and totems. By shifting, I become more sensitive to the animal or tree allowing me to understand better any messages they might be trying to give to me. It also allows me to experience reality (or what is precieved as reality) from a totally different perspective. Examples...the "wide angled" sight of a toad, the total exhileration of an eagle's flight, or the constant cheerfulness of the maple...just to name a few.
Sometimes It allows me to blend with nature and to be a part of it -
I have become a tree and had birds land on me..a skunk waddle up to me..it always is a profound experience...
I also use shapeshifting when I am doing elemental work. Trying to work with earth? Try becoming an earthworm - it will bring the experience to a whole new level...

The most bizarre experience I had was when I was a "shadow warrior"..(working on one of my many stories just before bed). I was happily slipping through the shadows exploring my mythical world...when my husband called my name - jarring me back to this world. I was kind of cranky (I don't like to be disturbed when I am playing) and snapped back = what??
He told me"Oh, there you are. I couldn't see you..there was no one on the bed and I was worried..."

I have no idea how to catagorize this experience..except bizarre...

Wolfhide

Postby Wolfhide » 20 May 2005, 01:52

I too havew tried to shapeshift into the wolf....my fave creature....i didnt know if it was my imagination or really shapeshifting!
By the 5 elements, may the God & Goddess bless you...

*formerly known as Druidic Wolf*

Rob

Postby Rob » 20 Dec 2005, 03:10

I WANNA BE A SQUIRREL BUT MOSTLIKLY YOUR ALL CRAZY OR GOD HATES ME.
Almost anything you do will be insignificant but it is very important that you do it.
                                           Mahatma Gandhi

:trefoil:
you must be the change you wish to see in the world.
       Mahatma Gandhi

:trefoil:
The weak can never forgive, forgivness is an attribute of the strong.
                                Mahatma Gandhi

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 20 Dec 2005, 03:42

I WANNA BE A SQUIRREL BUT MOSTLIKLY YOUR ALL CRAZY OR GOD HATES ME.
Kat shakes her head and says "tsk tsk" to the young squirrel.

First, Mr. Rob, we do not call shapeshifters crazy. Many who travel the shamanic path have this experience. And no one hates you, so why would you say something like that? :hug:
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

Spiritunicorn

Postby Spiritunicorn » 20 Dec 2005, 04:31

Ahh, an interesting thread.
My most recent shapeshifting experience happened in a dream.
Something was chasing me and I knew that my human form was too clumsy and slow to escape, so I shifted into a magpie and flew away. It was quite an experience, I could see things accross a much wider arc than normal, but it was harder to focus on one thing, I could also feel that my body was much more agile and I could hop, jump and leap to the sky with a flick of my wings. Although flying for a long time made my muscles ache.
So I learnt that flying can be hard work, maybe I need more practice? ^_^
Shapeshifting is indeed a very amazing thing.

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 20 Dec 2005, 04:55

Well said, SpiritUnicorn!

But I would like to point out to some of our newer members that as with any Shamanic experience, shapeshifting is not something with which to be trifled. It is a serious form of journeying and should not be undertaken without the appropriate training and state of mind.

That said, anyone here try platypus? The mud feels soooooo good on that duck bill... :grin:
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

nasty

hi

Postby nasty » 17 Jul 2006, 14:55

hi all

ok i don't know where to start here. this is my first post and one of my first visits to this Board so hi all.

i couldn't believe it when i came across this board and particularly this thread... and i don't know where to begin, i'm both overwhelmed and excited!!!

Firstly i want to ask, i've read alot of people talk about shape-shifting as more like an astral journey, mental not physical. Does anyone here actually 'become' an animal? Like the hollywood version?

i only ask because i get the mentally/spiritually shape-shifting thing and it makes me want to go further, into the physical shape-shifting thing. but i don't think i can/should, you know like the whole 'get a grip on yourself it's not real, don't be so stupid, don't try it or it will all blow up in your face' side of my brain kicks in. Damn common-sense!

but then when i stumbled upon you lot talking about it like it's second nature, it made me think maybe i wasn't going insane!

So i'm really considering 'trying' it, but where to start! Meditation and self control, or is it meditation and letting yourself go? goddess i feel like i'm walking in such tight circles that i'm kicking myself in the face with my own back legs!

Any words of advice?I'd love someone to be able to say 'yeah sure you just have to [insert instructions here] and you'll get it,' but i know each person and experience is different, there isn't any hard and fast 'this is how its done' answers (is there?) so i guess i'm really asking for some more details on personal experience, is meditation your key? or visualisation? or a chant? LOL i've turned in circles for so long i don't even know where the begining is anymore!

Nasty

Propheous

Postby Propheous » 17 Jul 2006, 19:29

I have all ways unconciously shape-shifted but never really thought of it as shape-shifting till recently. When you do something all the time you just think its natural. However recently I had a bad experience with a rather nasty thing and I had to hide from its presence. So I simply shifted my shape from its current form to that an old man. It was a powerful experience but nothing to out of the ordinary except I had to shift for quite a while. This had me step back and think back on my previous experiences.

I can not say anything about my physical appearance changing. I do not really know if that is possible, though in old times with alot less skeptism around I wouldn't put it past a powerful shaman. The change is more of a spiritual, mental, and physical capabily stand point. As with anything in the realm world belief is the main hurdle to overcome. Shapeshifting in meditation and spiritual journeys is possibly the closest we will come to taking on the complete physical shape of another being. Though again do not quote me on this. You can all ways cloak yourself in a glamour. I have this theory that if I shift and I do it well enough that those interacting with me on this realm will be fooled into thinking I am that shape. The key is to become that shape completely. Which is dangerous in and of itself.

As said before though shape shifting is not something to be taken lightly. Its like anything else if you don't ground yourself you can loose yourself.
JMG; "Just Droo it"

nasty

Postby nasty » 18 Jul 2006, 12:43

I
The change is more of a spiritual, mental, and physical capabily stand point...  The key is to become that shape completely. Which is dangerous in and of itself.

As said before though shape shifting is not something to be taken lightly. Its like anything else if you don't ground yourself you can loose yourself.
hmm, interresting theory, i have read that a few times on this thread (and admit that this is the first i've read of shape-shifting - outside ficiton novels) However the concept of 'being' only in thought something else eludes me somewhat. Are we talking 'visualising' not just externally but internally?

I only ask because i write, it is second nature to me, every morning i sit down with three pages of blank paper and fill them. like meditation (after the first few days of 'he said... she said' crap alot of deep and meaningful to me stuff can come out when your dieing for a cuppa and trying to write faster than you can think!) ok so its more like most mornings than every morning but i turn to these pages; it has become spiritual in a way. I also often find when typing or writing out a story (yeah insane fiction writer here) i will type and type and type... then stop and read it and think 'OMIGOD i did not just write that!' none of it will be familiour to me, but it has to by my work coz no one else can type on my comp... whilst i'm on it! Its like thoughts are channeled through my typing fingers before my analytical brain can form them into specific sentences, like i skip the whole process of 'thinking'. i personally love it but it is exactly the reason i could never befriend a person who has written a murder novel, or one of those crime novels, coz i know how much of my work is purely 'me', deep down inside desires and feelings and dreams etc... (not saying writers of murder novels are murderers, but it would freak me out too much!)... i can feel the characteristics of my main characters in me. It's not all and specifically me, but when i'm sitting and typing into the dawn, having been typing and blasting music that suits the theme etc, since eight the night beforehand, i'm pretty deeply 'that character'. If that character curses 'horse lords' in the book i'll find i'll curse it more than is sane in my everyday life too.

But i've never found i'm 'loosing myself' in anyone else but myself, its that all and one thing i guess. how can you loose yourself in a shape-shift if you and the shift are one? if that shift has come from what is within and without and all around you, but you are still... well you?

Just me i guess

nasty

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 18 Jul 2006, 14:59

"But i've never found i'm 'loosing myself' in anyone else but myself, its that all and one thing i guess. how can you loose yourself in a shape-shift if you and the shift are one? if that shift has come from what is within and without and all around you, but you are still... well you? "

If you truly lose yourself, you are in danger of staying 'lost' - that is, not returning to full conscious awareness. You don't want to do that!

You can become deeply immersed in your inward and outward visualization, yet still retain inner awarenes of who you are in 'reality', that is, your mundane self. You want to do this!

Shapeshifting can be simply imagining you are that animal or person, etc., or it can seem like a deep meditation where you energetically join with the other form and feel its emotions, its movements, etc. It's possible to do this with such intent that others will 'see' you as the animal. It - again as with so much of shamanic practice - ideally is done for a purpose - self knowledge, spiritual growth, or as traditional shamans do it, for the welfare of their tribe, village, community. It's not done lightly.

What is your purpose? What do you seek in shape shifiting?

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”