Shape-shifting

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Propheous

Postby Propheous » 18 Jul 2006, 18:19

hmm, interresting theory, i have read that a few times on this thread (and admit that this is the first i've read of shape-shifting - outside ficiton novels) However the concept of 'being' only in thought something else eludes me somewhat. Are we talking 'visualising' not just externally but internally?

nasty
As donata has said above when we do things we have the chance of losing ourselves if we are not grounded in who and what we are in the mundane world. The barrier between reality and fiction can be some what blurry when you place yourself too much into another world.

Its akin to fanatasm addiction or escapism in a sense. It comes to a point were you have done something so much that it seems you lose part of yourself in it. You slowly start to take on characteristics of what you are doing even when you are not doing them. That is why its all ways important to have a strong sense of self awareness not only spiritually but in the mundane world as well. I am Propheous the druid who walks between worlds, but I am also another person who goes to work each day and lives his life. I keep that identity at my core so that I know were to come back to when I am done travelling, whether it be in another shape to another plane or something similar.

Alot of people state as Donata does above that you should only do these things with purpose. This is because it gives you something to ground your experience. If you start to shape shift just because you can then there becomes less of a reason to be who you are. I mean why be me when I can be a dragon soaring on the wind. The purpose of our journey reminds us that we have to return, keeps us from the temptation of being playful and allows us to grow instead of getting caught in the lure of stagnation.
JMG; "Just Droo it"

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 18 Jul 2006, 18:51

Hi n,

I don't really understand your question:

"Are we talking 'visualising' not just externally but internally? "

When I visualize I'm using the power of imagination, which is internal - re external, I don't necessarily 'see' with my usual sight, as in I see this computer and the keyboard.

Can you explain further what you mean?

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Propheous

Postby Propheous » 18 Jul 2006, 20:41

Taking a stab in the dark are you referring to internal as minds eye (meditation obe etc) and external as a physical effect in the mundane world?

If so then it is both. You can stimulate external through a shift through what has been described. By taking on physicial characteristics of what you change into. Also, using it to hide in the physical world by changing your vibration and aura to fool people looking for you. When someone scans an area for something familiar the less familiar things there then the less likely hood of them spotting them. So if you shift into a rock or tree as someone is looking for you in the wild they will most likley not find you unless your doing so in a place were those things would seem out of place and you draw attention to yourself.
JMG; "Just Droo it"

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 19 Jul 2006, 00:44

I also would like to make sure I understand your question.  I interpret it as you are asking if we visualize with your minds eye external things and internal ones. (ie: you see a fox run by(external) vs. you feel the heat of the chase as a fox would (internal).

As Donata said, one should have a purpose when shapeshifting for many reasons, in my opinion.

When I shift, it is either for a lesson I need to learn or something I need to do for another, being a simple communication or healing of some sort.

And no, you do not physically shift like "An American Werewolf in London." But as has been pointed out here, when you merge with the essence of the animal, there is a subtle shift in your aura that others may perceive.

I witnessed a Shaman shift to fox during a Shamanic Healing. I am able to see many things through my physical eyes so it was fascinating to me to see the essence of fox emerge from her human form.  I was able to see it like a shield around her physical side, seeing fox and woman work to heal.  Truly amazing!
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

nasty

Postby nasty » 19 Jul 2006, 01:20

What is your purpose? What do you seek in shape shifiting?

BB
Donata
I did not start out by seeking shape shifting, it appears to be seeking me!

Sounds silly hey?

Guess i'd better out with more of the story.
Started with a tattoo, of a wolf, one of those spur of the moment teenage things, thought nothing much of it. But i now seem to have quite a collection of wolf related posters etc (wolves only, few with backgrounds or other animals or people in it). Then sometimes in meditations i'd start to smell something or hear something, and realise with shock that what i'm smelling with doesn't feel like my little nose, over a ridge going to my small mouth, but my nose is way out from my face, or my ears are hearing above my thoughts, ontop of my head. Shock reaction, open my eyes jump up and nope, i'm just me! No weird nose or ears here.

Then the other day i was charging a sigil for wolf moon (check the irony) i like the write it on a mirror and stare through it at your own eyes till you can't see the sigil anymore just you, then quickly rub the sigil out before it comes into focus method, it seemed quick and mess free and i'd not done sigil work before. So there i am staring into me, at me, with only candle light so you can imagin the way my eyes were reacting, everything around me became blackened, dropped out of focus, my face had shadows dancing upon it and as i continued to clear my mind and focus my face grew more and more distorted, that happens alot to me, even when i scry my eyes go all blury and out of focus before i get a good focus on the crystal and can start working with it. so i thought nothing of it whilst looking into the mirror, until the face looking back at me was that of a grey wolf.
Shock reaction again, my heart exploded into overdrive and i jumped back with such speed i bruised myself on the bedend behind me!

But i tryly (and naievly i know) thought it was just me. Then i stumbled on this board and thought wow, whats the go here. i need more info!

nasty

Postby nasty » 19 Jul 2006, 01:27

I guess i was asking, as it seems, that what your refering to when 'shifting your aura', is that a visualisation thing? You think like the thing you wish to become but also you imagin or visualise looking like it? So on the inside you visualise like you normally do, and you project that visualisation without you? Or am i getting the total wrong impression here?

So is that what Propheous meant when saying "So I simply shifted my shape from its current form to that an old man."

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 19 Jul 2006, 03:00

Hi n,

Yes, if I'm reading you correctly, that's what we mean. It sounds as tho Wolf is your guide! a wonderful teacher.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Propheous

Postby Propheous » 19 Jul 2006, 03:19

I guess i was asking, as it seems, that what your refering to when 'shifting your aura', is that a visualisation thing? You think like the thing you wish to become but also you imagin or visualise looking like it? So on the inside you visualise like you normally do, and you project that visualisation without you? Or am i getting the total wrong impression here?

So is that what Propheous meant when saying "So I simply shifted my shape from its current form to that an old man."
Its a bit more involved in then just projecting a visualization. As stated previously in a couple of the posts you find yourself not just projecting the shape but taking on characteristics of it as well. You don't get hairier or anything but you may move differently, or your senses may become sharper.
JMG; "Just Droo it"

Rob

Postby Rob » 19 Jul 2006, 17:23

I'm attempting to shapeshift into water, as  to better commmunicate with it, and I usualy attemt to do so in my pool, at time i just compleatly lose my though and just float around untill I need to go up for air... Im concious but not in my body, not thinking of anything... im curious if this "light are on but nobodys home" feeliing is because of the chemicals in the pool. in the book "The Secret Life Of Water" the water crystals change depending on its location... in a clorinated pool,the crystal is deformed and broken... I think I will need to postpone my studies on account of I found a snake in the pool with me yester day... maybe 3 feet away... it terrafied me.
Almost anything you do will be insignificant but it is very important that you do it.
                                           Mahatma Gandhi

:trefoil:
you must be the change you wish to see in the world.
       Mahatma Gandhi

:trefoil:
The weak can never forgive, forgivness is an attribute of the strong.
                                Mahatma Gandhi

nasty

Postby nasty » 22 Jul 2006, 08:17

Hi n,

Yes, if I'm reading you correctly, that's what we mean. It sounds as tho Wolf is your guide! a wonderful teacher.

BB
Donata
hmm, i had not thought of it that way or explored that option, i think i need to do some more resurch.

thanks, nasty.

StormWolf
OBOD Druid

Postby StormWolf » 01 Sep 2006, 11:07

The only non-human shape I've ever consistly shifted into is wolf (I've told it before so I won't bore you with it here) but the liberation is tremendous...
I have shapeshifted into two animals myself, a wolf being one of them. In this shape, I actively pursued, caught, and killed a rabbit.
It was very disconcerting, as I am a vegetarian, to feel the thrill of the chase, and the kill. To bite into the warm flesh, and savour the blood. Part of me wanted to throw up, but another part knew it was natural, a part of life.

I believe the point of shapeshifting is to learn and to experience. It is a sacred melding of your spirit with that of another, be it animal, vegetable, or mineral.
To be allowed to take anothers form is an honor. It means the animal accepts you, you become, for a time, a member of its tribe.
It is especially powerful if it is your totem animal.

Shamans the world over have used shapeshifting to find answers to questions/ problems, to heal illnesses, things like that.

Like others, I believe that shapeshifting is not a changing of physical shape, rather a shaping of your energy into another form.
StormWolf

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Postby meghanst » 28 Sep 2006, 10:54

Like others, I believe that shapeshifting is not a changing of physical shape, rather a shaping of your energy into another form.
Hi StormWolf
Nice to meet you in the forum. Thanks for all your OBOD work in oz.

I suspect there are various levels of shapeshifting because I have seen others shapeshift and other people have seen me shapeshift. This is not to say it is absolutely a physical thing because it might be an interpretation or trick of the mind, of seeing certain types of energy. For instance some people see fairies in plants while I see green glowing things normally ranging in size from an orange to a melon , a bit like lights but where there aren’t any lights (this only happens very occasionally).

The occasions when I’ve seen others shapeshift, the result is human, just very different looking, different face, looks, different height, skin and hair colour – a very different person. There was one exception, a Druid leader from another Druid group (not OBOD) turned into an elf-like creature but also looked a bit like a tree. It was a woman but after the transformation, she became much smaller, like a child, and her skin looked like tree-bark. She was giving a lecture to a small group and noone else seemed to notice, but then again I didn’t start jumping up and down so perhaps others saw it and decided not to say anything also.

I've had 3 different types of shape shifting, dreams like those been mentioned, during meditation when I feel myself shapeshift into an animal as has also been mentioned and feeling myself change into someone else, to either the delight or horror of the person with me.

I had a recurring dream where I was a deer being pursued by a male who would always catch and mount me, sometimes when caught we’d turn into humans, sometimes remain as animals, whichever, it was always a wonderful experience and I could smell the rich earth beneath me. I’d wake up happy and glowing.

During meditation I occasionally turn into black leopard who lives in or about a temple near a jungle. It’s a wondrous experience jumping up and down from the walls and racing through the jungle at high speed knowing where every blade of grass, twig, branch and tree is, and where I am in relation to everything even as I race past, being so fast and sure-footed (something I’m not as a human). It’s truly a mind-blowing experience.

The third situation is during lovemaking, when I often turn into someone else. This really impresses lovers I tell you. They always say I’ve become a different person, sometimes a Goddess, once a particular elemental Goddess, sometimes incredibly beautiful, sometimes dramatically younger but always a different person.  I know the instant the lover looks at me that he can see something unusual, sometimes it’s bewilderment, sometimes terror, sometimes awe. The only thing I can do is be very casual about it and to be truthful, when I’m in this state, I don’t really care what anyone thinks. I step outside my normal boundaries and am a different person in mind as well as body. I often wonder if in the past, women were burned for such things.

I don’t mind if anyone doesn’t believe this, it does all seem far fetched and I probably won’t believe it if it hadn’t happened to me. I’ve had this since my late teens but it’s only recently that I realised its shape-shifting. I’ve had all sorts and a great number of what I call psychic experiences since early childhood and have gone through periods when my problem has been to avoid strange experiences because it's too much, such as dropping into meditation in inappropriate situations and playing (in my mind) with time and speed which seemed to translate into the physical world. Then suddenly like a bolt of lightening my intellect gets involved and screams THIS IS DANGEROUS, not that I’d mind what happened to me in this state but I don’t want to hurt anyone else.  

These things happen more when I’m living ‘on the edge’. I was abused as a child and it made me naturally hyper and highly strung and the more highly strung I am, the more likely things are to happen. A bit of boring, uneventful piece and quite is often very welcome. It’s said that one shouldn’t practice tantra (that is real tantra, not the silly mishmash of sexual activities that the West calls tantra or neo-tantra) unless one has had a happy and stable childhood because it’s too dangerous and one can go insane.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Postby meghanst » 29 Sep 2006, 09:35

I write up any dramatic meditations and thought some people might be interested to read this one. It occurred in October 1998.

I feel the paws at the end of my limbs, feel the curve of the paws with their sharp claws. Feel the soft pads underneath the paws. Feel my hind legs, their power, feel them under me. Feel the tensing steel coil as I ready to spring. Feel the energy release as I leap high into the air, the exaltation of reaching into the heavens. Feel the change from hard coiled steel to soft floating as I land gently then regain the tension as I spring away. Feel the sure footedness as I spring from wall top to wall top.

Exquisitely sure footed, knowing exactly where everything is in relation to me without needing to look or concentrate, a sense inherent within that knows where my feet will land as I pounce or run, it needs no effort. I feel the muscles ripple along my supple body as I walk. I waste no energy, each muscle not required is relaxed until mobilized when it reaches full capacity in a fraction of a moment.

I am restless as I pace the walls, looking down on people scurrying below, I pounce down amongst them, growl, send them scattering and leap back to my wall top satisfied I have given notice …. I’m tired of this foolishness, I leap to the furthest temple wall and down into the undergrowth and feel the exhilaration of running.

The jungle passes in slow motion with plants gently brushing against me. As I look at them, animals nearby stand motionless, paralysed, wondering if this is their last moment before being eaten. I don’t want these morsels, I will return after my exercise for the goat the priestess is even now preparing for me. I leave my temple but I will return.

dria

Postby dria » 14 Nov 2006, 10:21

Hi! I definatly believe in shapeshifting and have done it. So PM if you want to.
All of nature is our teacher including the five elements.

meghanst
OBOD Bard

Postby meghanst » 28 Nov 2006, 13:22

Hi! I definatly believe in shapeshifting and have done it. So PM if you want to.
Hi Dria
I was very interested to hear about your shapeshifting so PMed you as you suggested but didn't receive a reply. Did anyone else PM and receive or not receive a reply? Is there a problem with my email?

Aarondel

Postby Aarondel » 02 Dec 2006, 13:36

I tried shapeshifting first about 5 years ago.... Needless to say, the results were quite unexpected.... Its true that what another poster have said somewhere on this thread about birds seeing quite differently than we do.... I first tried owl and thought I'd succeeded but later discovered, through exactly this difference of seeing, that it was actually a raven I shifted into.... The imagary still remains in my mind to this day.... I must admit, I am fearfull of doing this often or for long.... The little thought that holds me back mostly is the fear of getting stuck in a particular form..... I live in hope that one day I will be able to let go...

PS: The old Bardic heroes was my inspiration for trying this too.... Plus an old Zulu Sangoma who lived quite close by us at the time....
***...***...***...

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”