Drumming and Sacred sound's

Storage space for classic threads from The Shamanic Druid
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
forestmonk3966

Post by forestmonk3966 » 03 Sep 2005, 01:19

lol Wolfie.
I use Google always. it's the best search engine,in my opinion. really. it's just a matter of price and avalability.

I'm thinking the Drum will be finished sometime in October.I had to buy a new Frige. today.

peace.
Nodd.

P.S T. is not doing very well right now.

owlfeather

Post by owlfeather » 26 Sep 2005, 00:21

i have several drums myself. the drum was my first meditation tool. i went to a local rondevous/pow wow and i met up with a native american shaman. he started me on the shamanic path and provided me with Soaring Eagle, my first drum ever. its a 20" hoop drum and covered in elk hide. i use this drum when doing my more serious rituals. i love it and always will.

Flying Swan
OBOD Ovate

Post by Flying Swan » 30 Sep 2005, 08:42

I have several drums of different kinds. All are blessed!
One Bodhrawn I use for storytelling, it has dozens of ribbons and things attached to the back bars; they are to help me remember some of the details e.g. battle colours, of the Celtic myths I tell.
I went to a Drumming workshop in the summer. There must have been 30 people there who had never met before. It was a wonderful spiritual experience, so much love and sharing, and amazingly beautiful music by the end of the day. This was here in the U.K. If anyone wants to know where I went and who was running the workshop perhaps they would like to mail me. I possibly am not allowed to say in the posting.
I know I always hark back to children, but I do work with them a lot, I just wanted to say that they respond incredibly well to these instruments: drums, singing bowls and harps.
I don't possess a harp as the are too expensive, I do have a little instrument and my mind has just blanked out the name of it, which has similar sounds. It's good for storytelling though I don't play it properly. just the notes create an atmosphere.
Actually I think I'll just go and play something now....
Who enters the Tale, walks the world between worlds...'

Wolfwalker

Post by Wolfwalker » 30 Sep 2005, 23:15

Hmmm... interesting. I use my bodhran for storytelling and a-capella songs without any instruments beside the drum to keep my voice in the right cadence. I found a harp too expensive also, but was lucky enough to get an autoharp, complete wiuth hardshell case when the university music dept was doing their 5 year replacement, so it only cost me $100, rather than the typical which is closer to $300. The sound is lighter and does not cary as far but I find it very compact and convenient for my stuff, since I'm usually hauling the bodhran in it's bag, a big djembe in a duffle bag on my back, and a carry-all bag with harmonicas, etc, and the autioharp, often trying to shift everything from the car to the walk-in location in one load. This can mean the instruments and atoolbox containing about 40-60 pounds of stonnes, plus things like robes stuffed into the duffle with the djembe, etc. One fellow suggested if I had a larger vehicle than my little Suzuki, it would work well if I had a small trailer that I could load up and wheel from car to site. That way, I'd also have a seat, a stall, and a performance stage! I told him I was carrying all I couiuld without pushing a 150 pound mini-trailer. lol
blessings, Peter
Annie, as long as you're not advertizing commercial wares, selling books, etc, it's okay to mention the leaders of the workshops.
Love people and use things, NOT use people and love things...

forestmonk3966

Post by forestmonk3966 » 12 Oct 2005, 01:46

owlfeather;

Thank you for sharing and welcome to the board :)

annie;

Children are very responcive to the sound of drums. its the heartbeat of mother.thank you for sharing :)

wolfie;

well... thank you, friend .

Nodd.

P.S. I'm working on the new Drum as of today.

forestmonk3966

Post by forestmonk3966 » 30 Oct 2005, 22:28

Hi all.

Blessed Samhuinn.

The drum is finished and will be blessed tomorrow.
I should have a new camera by the end of the week so I'll post pics asap, if anyone is interested.

I would like to thank everyone for adding their thought's to this thread.it's been nice reading you all.

what other way's can we be experiance Sacred sound?

Wolfwalker

Post by Wolfwalker » 31 Oct 2005, 05:41

string instruments, singing bowls, bells, chimes, flute, so may ways beside the voice itself that one may be reached through the medium of music Nodd, it's hard to think of them all... and as diverse a variety of music as there is instruments too... A lot that can be brought here to discuss... at least another years worth or more I fugure... lol
bb, Peter

forestmonk3966

Post by forestmonk3966 » 03 Nov 2005, 22:07

lol... that is a pretty broad question isn't it,lol I'll try to think of a better one.

here's some pic's of the drum. it's 22in x 12in.red ceder frame.the beaters are made from old fishing poles, their 26in long though I feel their too long so I'm going to chop off about 5 inches,that should do it. the cradle is just a quick slap together I had to do untill the finished cradle is done,when I have the time.

It was my intention to bless the new drum as part of my Samhain ritual but it didn't happen. there were other thing's that had to be done and it didn't feel right to force a drum blessing on top of it all.so, I'm now planing the blessing for the full moon on the 16th.

here's a question..... fellow drumer's, have your Drums been blessed?

BB
Nodd

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Post by Donata » 04 Nov 2005, 01:15

What a beautiful drum!!! I'm impressed!

Yes, My drums are blessed. Everything I work with is - crystals, altar tools, drums, rattles, etc. My personal choice.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Post by Kat Lady » 04 Nov 2005, 01:44

Wonderful Forestmonk! I have not yet blessed my bohdran. I am planning on doing that this weekend, but most certainly am blessing her.
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

Wolfwalker

Post by Wolfwalker » 04 Nov 2005, 02:06

yes, both my bodrhan and Djembe are blessed. Please contact me if you're interested in building another one like that... might interest me in doing some cross border shopping if the price is right! I'm impressed my friend... very impressed.
bb. Peter

Return to “The Shaman's Cave”