Gamla Uppsala

A place to post stories, pictures, experiences and engage in druidic discussion of areas throughout the world that are considered to be sacred places. These may be ancient man-made structures, natural sites of great power and beauty, places of religious devotion, modern secular sites or individual private places that inspire awe and devotion.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
blue pig
OBOD Druid

Gamla Uppsala

Postby blue pig » 01 Nov 2012, 22:47

Just added this to the 'what are we thankful for today' spot.
Took a trip out to this former pagan centre, actually pagan up until the mid 1100's, not expecting too much; popular site, kids holidays etc.
Wrong. So much to experience here. Archaelogy happening, a small but decent museum, a good map and signs in Swedish and English.
Just walking around the site you experience the relevance of the elements, how the site grew from the bronze age through to the later viking age and why it should be so significant to pagans now. 'Royal' burial mounds and grave fields, a sacrificial site of a grove and natural springs, the traditional meeting place where the community gathered in the Spring; the seats of Thor, Odin and Frey. There is much here to contemplate. Blessings to the spirits of this sacred place. Leaving aside the unfamiliar names I found my gods here... :hug:

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Gamla Uppsala

Postby DaRC » 02 Nov 2012, 17:46

Ash that is good to know :D if I head over to Sweden it will definitely be on my must see list!
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Postby Explorer » 02 Nov 2012, 17:53

I visited that site 2 years ago, and I agree with what you say. Impressive site.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

blue pig
OBOD Druid

Postby blue pig » 05 Nov 2012, 18:00

Hi Explorer

Did you visit any more sites while you were in the area?

Or has anyone else any information or recommendations for Swedish sacred sites?

Listening to an archaeological guide at Birka over the Summer Sweden is, in a sense, peppered with sites; burials are everywhere. What is harder to tap into is the evidence for ceremonial/'temple' sites, the current thinking being that ritual took place in the great banqueting halls, or, my own feeling, in the landscape. and like many other countries later churches were built over many of these sites.

There is a closeness and respect for the elements here, and much to contemplate.

bp

Return to “Sacred Sites”