the grove

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
deepwater

Re: the grove

Postby deepwater » 04 Jul 2011, 13:43

Thank You all for the thoughts and prayers,,The wife is 300% better :yay: and walking around the trails with me and Sam again,,The sawmill came and left me with 3000 bf of great white pine lumber 1x6 2x4 2x6 2x8s and we started the wife's shed (again) just last Friday and to day we will have a roof up,,Its a 12'x16' and 12' tall and the wife is all the help I have,,That's how good she is feeling :grin: and she is moving all the bark and sawdust down to the mulch field by wheelbarrow,,As bad as I feel about the cutting of the pines I'm glad they are gone as the last storms took several big ones down on a house over the hill from us,,All the trees I have close to the house now are oaks maples and beech,,Ill try again to post some pics and thanks again to all
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 04 Jul 2011, 13:50

That is absolutely wonderful news! Enjoy your woodswork.
Even though you are sad to be cutting the pines it's a great thing to be building a shed & surrounding yourselves with them, just in a different way. :D

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 15 Sep 2011, 14:44

Good day to all its mid Sept and my world is wonderful,The wife is back and walking we found several patches of black trumpets and lots of lobster mushrooms both bee hives are doing great and the berry-bushes are full even today,,she picked and froze over 5 gal of blackberries for my wine making this winter and another 12 qts for pies,,she helped raise the shed walls the roof and held her end of the sheets of plywood than carried shingles around the scaffolding (she helped build) and fetched all tools and drink as I put it all together,,Her shed is 12' X 16' with a lofted ceiling in front and she lost a bit of weight and feels good,,The logging out back stopped a few hundred feet from the grove and she is still quivering and pissed so i'm hearing more of a sandpaper on wood sound now and coffee with cream clouds when i'm sitting in her and quiet,,I bring her things I like and she will lower the sandpaper hiss a bit yesterday it was some berries trumpets the smallest lobster and some bright yellow corals dried blueberries several lady-slipper berries and some of her honey from her wild flowers,,I feel I have been with her my whole life but its only been a few short years and our connection is strong,,Still confusing but strong as I understand it ,,At times when I speak she will squeak wanting me to think it through but ill continue because its never a short conversation when I have to sent thoughts as a pic because she likes it better,,I am allowed free access and only feel the slightest wall of fuzz like a warm wind off hot surface when I enter and I have felt the gentle pull as I entered,,I show her what I did with the pines and how we covered the scars in the forest floor using her branches and how the fall leaves have covered even more,,I have many pics of what we did if someone is able to post them for me I would be most grateful ,,The cropping or reducing and linking is all way past me
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 15 Sep 2011, 16:09

Glad to hear from you again, Deepwater.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Teileag
OBOD Ovate

Postby Teileag » 17 Sep 2011, 17:07

Thank you for sharing the good news with us, Deepwater! peace and blessings to you and your wife and the grove...
The sounds of the winds in the elms
like the strings of a harp being played,
the note of the blackbird that claps
with the wings of delight in the glade.

Attributed to Columba

http://domhaindorcha.blogspot.com/
http://www.ceilede.co.uk

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 17 Sep 2011, 18:46

So glad to hear that you, your wife & the grove are doing well. Enjoy the blessings of Autumn!
Sue

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 18 Feb 2012, 16:16

Winter is almost past and its been a light snow year here in Maine ,,I often heard the Grove rumbling while sitting at our fire-pit down the hill and walked the trail near the Grove entrance,,I think the logging around her is what upset her most of the winter,,She feels distance from me letting me hear but not reaching out like she did before and I hope that changes this spring,,I made around 9 gal of blackberry wine over the winter and its very tart,,I like it but the wife mixes hers with 7 up,,I started 3 gal of special wine 10 days ago,,I pressed the berries first and no seeds are in the mix ,,I think the seeds gave the first batch a slite tang/bitter edge under the tart pucker of blackberry taste,,,,Well around the first of May ill know if keeping the seeds out helped,,The by-product was about 3 lbs of seeds and skins I'm going to scatter today on our walk,,,More berrie bushes next year,,The wife is all better and I'm catching up fast now that the docs are done with me,,Some routine tests turned into a full blown circus mid Nov,,they found that I had a stroke so I was a bit concerned and they were not happy I had not disclosed it in my health history,,As it turned out back in 89/90 the military said I had a stress related shutdown on the job and some rest was needed ,,, I guess today its called a stroke and was missed back than,, So know I have a quarter size spot in my head I also know why I have trouble remembering things and the doc said if that stroke hadn't killed me back than I wont be dieing anytime soon,,4 mos of more tests than i care to think about ,,everything came back normal,,EVERYTHING :yay: ,,That's scary in its self when you think of the abuse I put myself through everyday,,Thats about all,,wife is good dog is good bees are well im better,,what a way to start the year off :gulp:

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 18 Feb 2012, 16:53

Excellent! :yay: It's great to hear that everything is well.
Here's to a wonderful year to come. :gulp: Enjoy that blackberry wine!

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 23 Jul 2012, 01:58

Well here its the last part of july and i have no idea where the year went,,but i did get the time today to take pics of many of the oaks i planted over the last 3 or 4 years ,,They are doing great and some of the trees i trimmed out are so full its shaded out the ferns and the smaller oaks are now 8" to 18" tall,,not all of the over 300 i planted made it and last year we didnt have but a doz accorns for all the trees ,, the critters went hungry for sure ,,this year its better so ill replant as many as i can in the spring,,if anyone would like to see the pics ill send the whole folder to ya ,, ill post more as the Grove starts to reconize me again ,, she has been very introverted the last 7 months

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 03 Sep 2012, 23:35

Its the beginning of Sept and the Grove is acting better and I hear singing at times but she gets quiet when i'm close to the trail that runs along her wall,, I have offered her several of her favorite sweets but all i hear is the sanding sound,,I have seen many of the tree stumps have sprouted "suckers" and the deer have been enjoying the tender tips,,all the oaks are gone from a 6 acre area and most of the maple and beach as well,,I hope the best went for more than just firewood,,some of them trees were over 26" across,,anyway,, I now have 3 hives and they were very good bees ,,we picked 25+ gals of berries so i should get about 40 gals of wine :yay: ,,I have one 1/2 gal bottle of dark red wine that i'm going to take to the Grove along with some fresh wild honey and some strong black tea,, sit and just listen for a sound from her,,maybe the next full moon so i can find the ground in the dark :old: ,,Other than I miss her calling out to me everything is going well

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 16 Dec 2012, 08:45

I have been out back around the Grove and she is pushing and i dont feel the pull,,its like she is putting up a wall of stay away,,,many of her trees are gone and lots of brush tops just nasty looking,,, no cutting was done on her but she still pushes me away and i feel this almost 1/4 mile away,,its unsetteling she would rather be alone than share her sorrow with me

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 16 Dec 2012, 16:43

It is an introverted time of year...maybe she will open up in the spring.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 18 Dec 2012, 02:05

Aphritha,,i hope so she seems very moody now that the logging is over and the area looks a total mess,,i feel a push away so i know she wishes her privacy,, maybe in the spring when the stumps sucker out she will feel covered and safer ,, ill pull some of the nastier tops away and set her stone table with some treats ,,and ty for your confidence she will reconect with me

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 17 Jan 2013, 02:50

I dont know what happened but all the bees are gone, :-( ,All 3 hives are for the most part are empty,, Thats well over 200,000 bees,,Each hive has some dead ,,maybe 3 or 5 thou from normal winter dieoff,, but where could 200,000 bees go in the middle of winter,,They cant swarm as they have no hive to go to nor can they cary enough honey to stay alive till spring flowers showup,, the hives were 2+ years old and very strong and the hive is still full of honey and now dead young larva,,crap ,, we have to start from scrach in the spring now ,, I guess i need to make fresh boxes as I dont know if something in an old box or honey tray drove them off,, I can tell ya ,, nothing used will be used in my hive,, the other guys hives are his to do what he wants ,, mine will be new every time i take a tray of honey out all new trays will be put in ,, This is like loosing a house pet for me

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 17 Jan 2013, 03:07

I'm sorry...that's a shame they disappeared. Quite a mystery. I've heard bees have been doing lots of unusual things is recent years.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 17 Jan 2013, 07:49

Around here bees do get stolen sometimes, but that is usually hives and all. It's sad that our little friends disappear and I keep blaming "Monsanto and friends".
I can understand that you grow to love bees like any other pet, I'm sorry for your loss.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

Golden Harps are like cookies, you can never have just one
Sacred spaces and places

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 12 Mar 2013, 22:54

The head guy for bees in Maine said it was hive collasp,,They all just up and leave,,all the honey is there,,over 100lbs in each hive and all the young and eggs,,I have 2 boxes of bees coming in late april,,I think ill take a whole slat of honey to the Grove and see if she will open up to me

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 23 Apr 2013, 01:09

Well i spent some long nights out in the shed doing some deep thinking and slow drinking and several times my grandfather sat with me,,he showed me the depth of my memory of times past all the way back to around 5 years sold ,,it was one of the first wild hives of bees he took me to ,,grandpaw gave me a slender stick and held me up over his head and i slipped the stick in and pulled out a huge gob of honey and a thousand bees,,we both got stung several times,,grandpaw said it was the price of being a thief and he said he was stung every time he took honey from that tree ,,it had been there for years,,,It was a few years later hunting mushrooms and anis root he showed me another bee tree,,this was a huge ash and about 4' off the ground was a hole ,,12 guage size ,,and bees going in and out also a hole way up with bees,, another stick and some honey and another sting,,over the years i have been back to the hives he showed me from age 5 to 15,, thats just one wild hive ,,, why dosent it collasp,,I think we are meddling in the bees lives tooooo much,, ok so we learned that they like BEE SPACE,, its not much space but they will fill in areas with a form of plaster if they dont like the space,,,we have built their bee space inside a skinny thin wood box made to fit our world and moved them at night all over america for our crops and robbed them of all their honey than feed them suggar water so they can make honey from that and live all winter,,there is no life in plan suggar,,not like in natural nectar,,we open their hives pull out the trays of eggs and young find a few queen cells they makd to carry on if the queen dies ,,cut the cells out hatch the queens and use the virgin queens to start other hives overnight , forcing them into small boxes and surrounding her with 6000 bees wanting to kill the intruder, and we wonder why they leave,,Out of all the wild hives i have seen all the openings were above 4' and none were facing the sun but were shaded by a building or wall or tall trees,,I have built another hive,,its just for the bees,,the walls are all 3" thick and the base is 20" off the ground,,i could not go higher for fear it would topple,, the base is also solid all the way down like a tree trunk i use 1/4" rat wire as a floor so all the small things will fall through and dead bees trapped to be removed out the front,, there are 3 openings in the hive body big enough for 2 bees at a time to go in or out,,the top is also 3" thick and overhangs the whole hive 3" on 3 sides and 6" in front,,it weighs around 200 lbs w/o bees or wax trays ,,if the bees dont like that than ill add 2" more wood to the outside,, i would like to get a wild swarm and not one gathered up and boxed against their will and made to accept the queen in a box as their ruller but one born to them that has chosen to find a new home and they chose to follow her,,as it should be,,srr my spelling sucks the spell checker is missing

Wolf Dreamer
OBOD Druid

Postby Wolf Dreamer » 23 Apr 2013, 03:47

I just read this whole thread and I loved learning about your life and especially about the Grove. It sounds like a powerful and enchanting place. I aspire to live on a property where I can have bees and lots of fruit trees and berries. I too like to brew wine from good fruit. I made some pretty good plum wine last year. Have you ever made any mead with your honey? Blessings to you and yours. Thanks for sharing!
"Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss you
put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while
waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.
If you follow your bliss, doors will open that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

- Joseph Campbell

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 24 Apr 2013, 23:09

Its a great place this small valley i live in,,the wife and i and the dogs just got back from a walk around the property lines and had a great time watching 2 hawks hunt for over an hour,,Its walk and rest for me now untill the doc tells me otherwise,,mri tomorrow and than more docs,,i know whats wrong and its only 45 years of hard work all over this world but they insist the only to be sure is to rape my insurance company ^@^,, I have not tried to make mead yet but its on my list,,I think ill pick some winter berries and make some tea maybe take some honey comb maybe some wine and sit in the grove awhile ,,she has to open up because im sidelined for a while

Return to “Greening Gaia”