Some help identifying a tree

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aethelwulf
OBOD Bard

Some help identifying a tree

Post by Aethelwulf » 04 Nov 2010, 23:12

Hello, we have this tree that is growing in the bottom of our garden, it isn't very old, maybe 5 years if that, but I can't for the life of me identify it.

Would someone maybe be able to help me out with it? These are all clickable thumbnails.

012 by Last Exit for the Lost, on Flickr Silhouette of tree

013 by Last Exit for the Lost, on Flickr Bark of Tree

015 by Last Exit for the Lost, on Flickr Leaves of Tree

As yet it hasn't beared any fruit, but that isn't to say it won't. Any help would be appreciated.

I am in Hertfordshire UK if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

C

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Re: Some help identifying a tree

Post by Mountainheart » 04 Nov 2010, 23:34

Bit hard to tell due to the angle of the main picture: but looks like an Ash to me.

Thx
David

acornspirit
OBOD Ovate

Post by acornspirit » 05 Nov 2010, 00:58

I am definitely not an expert on tree identification, but I agree--looks like an Ash.

I wonder if there might be an online tree identification guide for the UK somewhere. At arborday.org there is one for the US, but with a quick search I wasn't able to find one for the UK.

Cheers,
Greg

Aethelwulf
OBOD Bard

Post by Aethelwulf » 05 Nov 2010, 13:12

Thanks to you both, I have had a look online on what Ash trees look like and as my tree is so young of course the bark and size of the tree look different.

The only thing I am wondering about is the leaves, I see that most of the leaves are mainly in pairs with am odd leaf at the top. All of my leaves have even numbers if you see what I mean.

I have uploaded a clearer photo of the leaves themselves if it helps more and if I can get a better lit photo of the whole tree I will try that too if you are both willing to help.

I am asking because I already have a crab apple in my garden and was hoping to incorporate them all in my own grove.

001 by Last Exit for the Lost, on Flickr

Thanks in advance.

C x

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Post by Mountainheart » 05 Nov 2010, 14:08

ooh I like a bit of detective work. The only other tree I can find that matches leaves like that is the Black Walnut. See picture about half way down this page: http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-plant-adv ... ation.html

Mark B
OBOD Bard

Post by Mark B » 05 Nov 2010, 14:14

Definety looks like Ash. Are there black buds at the tips of the branches.
If there is I would go with Ash.

Aethelwulf
OBOD Bard

Post by Aethelwulf » 05 Nov 2010, 14:38

dhonour wrote:ooh I like a bit of detective work. The only other tree I can find that matches leaves like that is the Black Walnut. See picture about half way down this page: http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-plant-adv ... ation.html
You see now I know my Dad planted a Walnut in my back garden years and years ago, but seeing as I haven't spoken to him in 7 years I wasn't sure that it could be a Walnit, I just assumed that it hadn't grown.

Now I don't know what to do as Walnut isn't native to the UK.

Aethelwulf
OBOD Bard

Post by Aethelwulf » 05 Nov 2010, 14:43

Mark B wrote:Definety looks like Ash. Are there black buds at the tips of the branches.
If there is I would go with Ash.
Should there be black buds at the tips of the branches now, would this be the month for it budding?

OOoo I have just checked and all the leaves look to have odd number leaves and yes there are black buds.

Now, the dilemma, is it normal ash or mountain ash. Not that I live on the side of a mountain.

Mark B
OBOD Bard

Post by Mark B » 05 Nov 2010, 15:06

Mountain Ash and Rowan are the same, they have red fruit. As you say
It hasn't had any it's probably common Ash.

Huathe

Post by Huathe » 05 Nov 2010, 15:29

Tiigaan,

I have a hard time telling the tree type from your photos, but a species of ash is my first guess.

The ENTS tree id page may help.

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/specie ... pecies.htm
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Post by Mountainheart » 05 Nov 2010, 15:56

Tiigaan wrote:
dhonour wrote:ooh I like a bit of detective work. The only other tree I can find that matches leaves like that is the Black Walnut. See picture about half way down this page: http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-plant-adv ... ation.html
You see now I know my Dad planted a Walnut in my back garden years and years ago, but seeing as I haven't spoken to him in 7 years I wasn't sure that it could be a Walnit, I just assumed that it hadn't grown.

Now I don't know what to do as Walnut isn't native to the UK.
Well, the Romans grew Walnut trees in the UK, apparently, so although not actually native they have a long history. I would still go for it most likely being a common ash, although as you pointed out you would expect it to have a single end leaflet, not a double one as per your picture. It isn't impossible though that a walnut seed could remain dormant for a few years before germinating: so I wouldn't rule that out completely. Ash comes into leaf very late, so if the buds from your tree haven't opened by early May that will be a good sign that it is an Ash.

Fox of the Oaks
OBOD Druid

Post by Fox of the Oaks » 06 Nov 2010, 00:47

http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/trees/index2.htm

I have found this site useful in tree identification.

Gwernen
OBOD Druid

Post by Gwernen » 06 Nov 2010, 01:27

I'd say White Ash, Green ash the lobes would be slightly different?

Jake
OBOD Ovate

Post by Jake » 06 Nov 2010, 01:51

That can't be a Black Walnut with such smooth bark. Young Ash trees have relatively smooth bark but even a very young Black Walnut's bark would be more furrowed and rough. And the leaves are serrate so it can't be an English Walnut.

Though it's hard to tell, in the first picture the leaves definitely look opposite like an Ash, not alternate like a Walnut or a Butternut. And while the lack of a single terminal leaflet in the newest picture is confusing don't the second and third photos clearly show leaves with an odd number of leaflets and a terminal?

My money would have to be on Ash. :)

Ryan LeClair

Post by Ryan LeClair » 13 May 2011, 08:12

Common ash, Fraxinus excelsior? I think that's native in at least some of the U.K. The one leaf with two terminal leaflets is confusing :-|
“Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.” -- Sri Aurobindo

Ryan LeClair

Post by Ryan LeClair » 13 May 2011, 08:24

Actually, don't know about that now. The leaf you have posted has quite rugose leaflets -- very inset veins and many wrinkles. Also, its leaflets are not decidedly alternate or opposite, while F. excelsior's seem to be consistently opposite. This one is tricky... 8-)
“Life is life - whether in a cat, or dog or man. There is no difference there between a cat or a man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.” -- Sri Aurobindo

Return to “Greening Gaia”