'lunar perigee'

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
merryb
OBOD Ovate

'lunar perigee'

Post by merryb » 10 Mar 2011, 22:22

The moon passes closer to earth on the 19th of March - the full moon will seem larger -- hopefully the sky will be clear.

Looking forward to the spring solstice.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110309/ts ... fda55.html

With blessings
Merryb

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Re: 'lunar perigee'

Post by merryb » 11 Mar 2011, 10:20

The earth quake and Tsunami and Earth quake gives backing to the belief that the lunar perigee bodes natural disaster by the stronger gravity pull of the moon on tidess as it moves closer. What is your opinion?

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Post by cursuswalker » 11 Mar 2011, 10:32

merryb wrote:The earth quake and Tsunami and Earth quake gives backing to the belief that the lunar perigee bodes natural disaster by the stronger gravity pull of the moon on tidess as it moves closer. What is your opinion?
It is a nonsense. There is no way for earthquakes to be caused by this and tsunami are caused by earthquakes. If the Moon had that kind of influence then we would all have been swept away a long time ago.
ImageTHE DRUIDIC ORDER OF NATURALISTS
http://www.caerabred.org/

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 11 Mar 2011, 11:50

I've read somewhere (several somewheres even) that the moon is actually a stabilising force! Without it we'd be living on a far more violent planet than we do now (and that may have had different implications for life on earth). Water, which is certainly influenced by the moons gravity is in effect "controlled" by the moon's gravity.

Can't be bothered to look for sources at the moment. Maybe someone else know what I'm talking about? :where:

I hope it's clear. I got a nice new telescope recently that I've been wanting to try out :grin:

cursuswalker
OBOD Bard

Post by cursuswalker » 11 Mar 2011, 13:22

treegod wrote:I've read somewhere (several somewheres even) that the moon is actually a stabilising force! Without it we'd be living on a far more violent planet than we do now (and that may have had different implications for life on earth). Water, which is certainly influenced by the moons gravity is in effect "controlled" by the moon's gravity.

Can't be bothered to look for sources at the moment. Maybe someone else know what I'm talking about? :where:

I hope it's clear. I got a nice new telescope recently that I've been wanting to try out :grin:
If the Moon were a goddess she would be goddess of seasons, as it is the Moon that holds the Earth at its current tilt and ensures the stability of our seasons.

There was a time when the moon was FAR closer to the Earth and every tide would have been a Tsunami. Fortunately this was before life had really taken off in the oceans.
ImageTHE DRUIDIC ORDER OF NATURALISTS
http://www.caerabred.org/

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Post by wyeuro » 12 Mar 2011, 01:35

The earth quake and Tsunami and Earth quake gives backing to the belief that the lunar perigee bodes natural disaster by the stronger gravity pull of the moon on tidess as it moves closer. What is your opinion?
i agree with you, merryb. i believe the science concerning the origin and far past of the planets and the moons is in its infancy, and there are huge gaps in our knowledge. it doesn't hurt us to acknowledge the scary stuff, and the nebulous, sparsely researched stuff, which can too easily be dismissed as superstition. there has to be a reason why we've always had this love/dread relationship with the moon. it's a wild old dance she's doing around us, enchanting and powerfully manipulative, although together we dilute each other's worst forces and stabilise each other most of the time. yet there have always been cranky times when she seems to roll roughshod over us. pure physics of course, but that's how it feels sometimes.
wy

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Post by merryb » 13 Mar 2011, 11:38

I am feeling very concerned for our planet asThere has been an explosion at Fukushima nuclear plant with radiation leaks and a second plant is also leaking radiation, one report has said tha to ver 100,000 people have been evacuated fom the area of Fukushima nuclear plant and there is a sixty kilometre exclusion zone.

My thoughts go out to all those who have been affected and those who have died from the consequences of the Earthquake.

I ask the question about the Lunar perigee on the 19th out of curiosity never dreaming that such a huge natural disaster would take place when the moon is at is closest to the earth and the sun. A lunar perigee and the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere all occurring within 24 hours of each is unmatched in the last century and a half.

The tides influenced by the sun and moon are exceptionally low and high could this have caused the plates near Japan slipping under each other.

What ever the cause my thoughts and go out to all in Japan. And my prayers go out to all those striving to avert a nuclear disaster in Japan which could blight the people and land of Japan and possibly the whole of our precious earth.

I grew up under the shadow of nuclear war and marched and protested against nuclear armament.

Now we are threatened by the "good clean energy" of Nuclear power plants. When will governmet learn that nuclear power is not safe?

With blessing to all

Merryb

Return to “Greening Gaia”