USPS to issue stamps featuring herbs

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Selene
OBOD Druid

USPS to issue stamps featuring herbs

Post by Selene » 31 Mar 2011, 19:30

For anyone who might be interested in topical stamp collecting:
— April 7, 29¢ Herbs pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA) panes of 20 stamps and PSA coils of 100, New York, NY 10199.

The Herbs set of five different designs will be issued April 7 at the ASDA’s Spring Show in New York City, in anticipation of the new 29¢ postcard rate that goes into effect April 17. Artist Teresa Fasolino, New York, New York, created original oil paintings that were incorporated into Phil Jordan’s stamp design. Each stamp depicts a particular species in bloom, as well as a typical leaf and flower or seed capsule. As people around the world move away from chemicals, herbs that were used for centuries—many since prehistoric times—have now come back into fashion. These often-common plants have become increasingly recognized for their usefulness as fragrances, flavoring, medicines, decorations, pest control and for spiritual purposes.

The species shown are Origanum vulgare (oregano), Linum perenne (flax), Digitalis purpurea (foxglove), Lavandula angustifolia (lavender), and Salvia officinalis (sage). Only the common names appear on the stamps.
Herb-stamps-web.jpg
Herb-stamps-web.jpg (36.43 KiB) Viewed 3192 times
They can be ordered at https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... &langId=-1.
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making a few more."

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Re: USPS to issue stamps featuring herbs

Post by Susanne » 31 Mar 2011, 23:55

I don't collect stamps but for ones like these I'd be tempted to start! They're lovely. Thanks for the link, Selene.
Sue

Return to “Greening Gaia”