Looking for a book

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Looking for a book

Post by Susanne » 27 Nov 2011, 14:54

I'm looking for a good book on trees to get my son for Christmas. He's 23 & has been working as a landscaper for the last couple of years & has gravitated to tree work. A potential Druid here? :)
I'd like to find a nice book that not only identifies the trees but has more to it in the way of descriptions, history & mythology & of course beautiful pictures! I haven't been able to locate one just like this & am thinking I may have to get him a couple books if I can't find just the right one...nothing wrong with that either!
I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Sue

Dathi
OBOD Ovate

Re: Looking for a book

Post by Dathi » 27 Nov 2011, 15:11

Hi Sue,
Try this, it's really special: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/190346446 ... 520Details
Or Thomas Packenham. Meetings With Remarkable Trees http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0753802 ... 74-2505336

Good luck,

Dathi
:owlhorn:
Seminar. September 2010: African Druids? Sangomas, Inyangas http://www.druidry.org/board/dhp/viewto ... =2&t=36777

2011 LI
Seminar. October 2012: Druids & Bushcraft viewtopic.php?f=326&t=41256

Muddy Fox

Post by Muddy Fox » 27 Nov 2011, 15:19

Dathi beat me to it Susanne, I was going to recommend that book. I am pruning my collection of books, so if you would like it I will happily send you the one I have. It sounds as though it would go to a good home. PM me if you are interested, no offence taken if you do not want it.

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Post by Susanne » 27 Nov 2011, 20:39

Thanks for the responses. The books look wonderful. I did forget to mention (oops) that I'm in North America so while those are excellent books they would most likely have species that don't grow around here.
Both sides of my family traveled here from the same town in Ireland so my son has that heritage as well as Native American from his father's side. Maybe reading those books would prompt him to go explore the trees on the other side of the ocean :D
Muddy Fox - which of the two books do you have? Although it may be a bit pricey to send it so far :(
Sue

Muddy Fox

Post by Muddy Fox » 27 Nov 2011, 23:35

I have, Meetings With Remarkable Trees, by Thomas Pakenham, I have no idea how much it would cost to send it to you. :shrug:

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Post by merryb » 30 Nov 2011, 10:30

I read your post and the replies and then wandered off to Amazon to look at the Tom Packman book and found:

Meetings with Remarkable Trees & Remarkable Trees of the World 2 vols in Slipcase : AND Remarkable Trees of the World by Thomas Pakenham

Maybe this would include trees in North America

Good luck in your search
With blessings
Merry B

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Post by Susanne » 30 Nov 2011, 12:01

Merryb
I'll check it out. Thanks!

Return to “Greening Gaia”