Thames Estuary Airport - greenest government?

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
merryb
OBOD Ovate

Thames Estuary Airport - greenest government?

Post by merryb » 09 Feb 2012, 19:21

I picked up this link onTwitter from the RSPB Natures voice "the greenest government ever" seems to be about to destroy more o than ancient woodlands in England; wild life habitates on the The Thames Estuary for the sake of business needs - In 2011, the Chancellor described hard-won legal protections for our most precious wildlife sites, as a “ridiculous cost on British business”.

the Link is here: http://campaigning.rspb.org.uk/ea-actio ... d=1e2e264e.

off to find out more and get writing.

blessings
Merryb

katie bridgewater

Re: Thames Estuary Airport - greenest government?

Post by katie bridgewater » 09 Feb 2012, 20:22

The airport idea is insane. Of course, the Tories were never going to be green - their sole motivation is to bolster business whose sole motivation - nay obligation - is to put money into pockets of shareholders. Anyone who thought different didn't read their manifesto...

I gave up flying precisely because of this kind of wanton and ridiculous destruction of the world we share with all our relations. If no-one bought tickets, there would be no money to be made by this environmentally destructive new airport. Britons fly more per capita than any other European nationals. If we don't like it we have to put our money where our mouths are and take the train...And then we have to write letters, wave placards, and make it so unfashionable even to consider such a scheme that plans have to be dropped. I won't hold my breath then. :wink:

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Post by merryb » 10 Feb 2012, 09:40

I have recieved another post from the RSPB which gives more details Boris Johnson apparantly is behind the move ....

2The idea of an airport in the Thames Estuary has been catapulted back to prominence by the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, who has his own proposal – referred to as ‘Boris Island’. And more recently by Norman Foster unveiling his vision for a four runway airport on the Isle of Grain in North Kent.

Any Thames Estuary airport would cause immense damage to the wildlife and environment in the area, which includes some wonderful RSPB Nature Reserves including: Cliffe Pools, Northward Hill, Rainham Marshes, West Canvey Marshes, Vange Marshes, and Shorne Marshes.

Advocates of a Thames Estuary airport were encouraged by the Chancellor’s portrayal of the environment as a barrier to economic growth in his autumn statement last November. This gave them the confidence to propose any development, no matter how damaging, as now it could be dressed up as the answer to our economic woes."

I agree with you Katie we do need to oppose this devastation of the Estuary in Kent.

Saving Time seems to have come a business commodity that is more important than people and the enviroment.

With hope and blessings

Merryb

Forest Dryad
OBOD Bard

Post by Forest Dryad » 11 Feb 2012, 22:55

I have read that they're calling the island in the estuary that they plan to put the airport on "Boris Island", because of his support for the airport. I can try and dig out the reference if anyone wants it. I think it's frankly shameful that they're even working on the pretence that they're green, and worse that people would be foolish enough to believe them. It's a case of the rich helping the rich get richer, and sod the environment and everyone else. Makes me so angry! :x

Return to “Greening Gaia”