Novice Bonsai Advice

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Dragonling

Novice Bonsai Advice

Post by Dragonling » 22 Aug 2012, 18:31

Greetings! I've been lurking the OBOD forums for a while now, finally mustering the nerve to post. :oops:

My roommate and I have had a growing interest in trying our hands at bonsai. She wants to grow and train an eastern red cedar, which is actually a species of juniper. I know that juniper is very common in bonsai, often recommended for the beginner as they are easy to train and can handle heavy pruning, so I don't think she'll have any major trouble. Still, any and all advice to pass along to her is welcome.

My conundrum is that I am interested in trying my hand at training a northern red oak. The species has quite a bit of significance to me, but it seems to be a very uncommon tree for bonsai. I'm wondering if, because of its deep root system particularly, it may be a little too difficult to handle as a beginner. Does anyone here have any experience with bonsai (especially with oak) who might impart their wisdom?

Blessings
:coyote:

treegod
OBOD Druid

Re: Novice Bonsai Advice

Post by treegod » 22 Aug 2012, 22:02

I can't help you with bonsai trees, apart from saying maybe start with something easier. Or if you don't mind experimenting (whatever the results) you could try a northern red oak. Better to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me. :)

Anyway, I recognise that avatar, both the symbol and the new design, lol. Have I seen you recently? :wink:

Dragonling

Post by Dragonling » 22 Aug 2012, 23:40

treegod wrote:Anyway, I recognise that avatar, both the symbol and the new design, lol. Have I seen you recently? :wink:
Hah, I wondered if anyone would notice. I'm Dragon on Caer Abred, though I suspect I may be more active here unless things pick up a bit. I was considering PMing an admin to request a name change...perhaps Dragonling or something since there's already a "Dragon" on this board. This old nickname has been around a while, but I rarely use it anymore.

Do you think a Japanese maple might be similar in difficulty or perhaps a bit easier? I've always preferred deciduous trees, but I might just follow my roommate's lead and try a red cedar (juniperus virginiana) first. I wonder, though, how much they may differ from the more common California and Chinese junipers.

deepwater

Post by deepwater » 03 Sep 2012, 23:54

Before you attempt keeping a tree alive in a small container you might like to see how they live in real life,,Nature makes her own bonsai trees and shrubs naturally,, I have a small 12" maple growing from a 8" hemlock stump,,I cut the stump off at the ground several years ago and placed it in our flowerbed,The maple has not grown more than an inch and the stump is rotting away so ill try to plant it in a hollowed out place of a new stump,,also several small trees grow on or in cracks in the ledges and haven't gotten larger in 6 years I have been here,,I might try my hand at drilling and filling a hole in a stone with loom placing the stone in a tray of water and setting an acorn that's sprouting in the hole,,maybe the roots will flow over the side of the stone and seek out the water below
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

Return to “Greening Gaia”