Tree removal ritual

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
kevinscot

Tree removal ritual

Postby kevinscot » 12 Oct 2014, 23:12

Hi Everyone,
I was asked if there were any rituals in the druid tradition when someone needs to remove a dying oak tree. I gave some suggestions, like thanking the tree for all it has given, telling stories of what the tree has meant to the family, possibly saving a piece of the tree to be carved, and ritually planting a new tree.
Are there any specific rituals for when a tree needs to be removed?

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: Tree removal ritual

Postby ShadowCat » 13 Oct 2014, 08:27

I think you've given some great suggestions.

Have you combed through this site yet?
http://www.druidry.org/library/trees
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 18 Oct 2014, 11:38

Quite often when a tree is dying it will seed heavily, in this case acorns obviously. Growing on a new individual from a seed and introducing it to its parent before removal is a great ritual. I've done this one. You just need the acorn... and a place to plant the young tree.
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

gwendolyng

Postby gwendolyng » 22 Oct 2014, 19:37

This is a very good question. I live in northern Michigan, USA, and all of the ash trees in our forests here are being annihilated by the a bug called the emerald ash bore. My husband and I noticed it last winter. Since then, we've been watching these beautiful trees slowly die. It is absolutely heart wrenching. I would love to have a ritual or something to honor them and bid them good-bye.
Gwendolyng
Gwendolyng
OBOD Druid

The smart ones sit back and let Karma do the work.
Joey Hernandez

kevinscot

Postby kevinscot » 01 Nov 2014, 17:26

Thanks for the responses. I especially like the idea of planting the acorn and I will definitely go through the tree archives.

Gwendolying, I live in Southeast Michigan and I have also witnessed the devastation that the EAB has caused. Not only the damage to the ash trees, but to the impact on the surrounding ecosystem due to the rapid loss of so many trees. Many counties are now deploying a parasitic wasp to combat EAB, but who knows what consequences might result from releasing yet another non-native species.

Return to “Greening Gaia”