How to make amends

This forum is for discussions of all aspects and efforts to nurture Gaia - from gardening to tree and herb lore: from husbanding the forests to environmental activism and planting sacred groves.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Greytrack
OBOD Bard

How to make amends

Postby Greytrack » 12 Feb 2015, 12:48

Hi,

I wonder if I could ask for some advice?

Last year (before I started out on the Druid path), I allowed some trees that are in my garden to be cut back to make some space for a static caravan that my daughter now lives in.
The thing is that I've been feeling quite guilty about this as one of the things that has been powerfully confirmed by my OBOD course is that everything is sentient - whether we're aware of it or not. So those shrubby trees that got hacked back require an apology - I think. :) , especially as I neither asked their permission nor informed them as to what was going to happen.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to the best way of going about making amends for being so crass?

Many thanks.
Greytrack
Not all those who wander are lost.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: How to make amends

Postby ShadowCat » 12 Feb 2015, 18:46

I can only speak from my own perspective and experience. I'm not an overly treehugging druid myself. I greet them, touch them, talk to them, just like I greet passing folks on the street and pet animals in a pasture. When I can avoid it, I don't damage them. As such, I'm non-violent and very aware of the sentience in all that lives. On the other hand, I'm not overly concerned that every foodstep I take in the forest crushes several tiny bugs and possible plants. Nor do I let trees and plants run amok in my yard, I do prune and thin out trees when needed. Mindful, but determined.

I see it like this: in the end, we are all vying for space and resources in our world. Trees do crowd out eachother, animals nibble bark, killing trees. The carrot I ate for dinner, really wanted to grow on, bloom and spread it seeds and I killed it before it could do just that. It's just part of what we are here for as a whole, imho. It's part of the wonder of all that is connected.

As I see it, you made room for your daughter, and as such, it was not a violent act. If you feel amends are in order, it might be done by restoring harmony. Trimming remaining stumps in such a way that they might grow on, cleaning up the area a bit and planting or sowing new appropriate plants, all done in a mindful and connected manner, are usually all that is needed. I also encourage you to meditate and connect to the place and plants yourself. The right idea might just pop in your head after that.
Last edited by ShadowCat on 13 Feb 2015, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 13 Feb 2015, 05:28

I agree very much with ShadowCat :)

And if you still feel bad about it after you read her post, you can always plant some new trees in a more appropriate space :wink:

People have to consume, that's how we survive, but there's a difference between normal consumerism and greediness. I don't think you were greedy.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 13 Feb 2015, 12:36

Yep I agree with Illion and Shadowcat - life and death is the natural cycle of life.

If it is bothering you then consider planting some more trees, in a more suitable place, as recompense / balance things out.
Perhaps some trees to act as a wind-break?
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 13 Feb 2015, 13:07

A number of years ago, I was riding my bike in woods behind a house we just moved in to ...hit a tree root, rolled and broke my ankle....since then, I've said hello to the trees...out loud, pat them on the trunk...ask them to please not hurt me again....I've been ok ever since. Slightly different situation, but it is good to come to an understanding.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Greytrack
OBOD Bard

Postby Greytrack » 13 Feb 2015, 21:23

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I really like the idea of mindfully clearing and replanting so I shall see what I can do. I was probably overthinking it anyway - lol! :D :tiphat:
Greytrack
Not all those who wander are lost.

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 14 Feb 2015, 06:16

Never mind. I seem to over think all the time as well.
I think that is a lot better than not to think :grin:

Return to “Greening Gaia”