Questions about OBOD's course

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
feithline
OBOD Bard

Re: Questions about OBOD's course

Postby feithline » 01 Dec 2008, 23:11

Just thought I'd pop in and let everyone know that my package arrived, and I'm neck deep in learning. I'm really grateful I chose the text and audio option. I find I learn best when I can read along to a talk, and this course is proving that to be true.

As for journals, I picked up too - an informal one, and a formal one. The informal once is a red leather cover that can take refills (made by Pierre Belvedere), so when I fill it up, I can pick up a new insert and stick it in. The formal one is a large 'grimoire' type book with beautiful illustrations and lined pages. I intend to write all exercises, ceremonies, and anything else I decide belongs in it within its pages.

Oh! And I got an address for my tutor today!

So excited! :yay:

Feithline

Aleph
OBOD Bard

Postby Aleph » 27 Dec 2008, 03:44

*groan*

I can't believe it's been 3 years since I signed up to the forums and checked out the site. Even more unbelievable is that when I finally get over my financial hesitation and place the order for the course I pick two days before xmass to do it! :shrug:

I will undoubtedly be punished for my lengthy hesitation by a long postal holiday delay in the (now) eagerly anticipated arrival of my OBOD package. Ah well, I sowed those seeds!

Guess I'll go shopping for some journals in the meantime as someone else suggested.

Cheers!

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 27 Dec 2008, 08:17

Congratulations with your desicion.

See you in the Bards forum.

Illion
:treehug:

flame
OBOD Bard

Postby flame » 15 Jan 2009, 14:45

I have just order the introductory pack. I'm very excited - my friends and i have been practising our own form of spirituality as a group for 5 years or so now and have decided that we need to move it up a gear so to speak and really start to explore our spirituality in more depth.
If we decide to go ahead as a group of 5 how would it/could it work? Or are we all better studying completely as individuals?
I know we will all go at our own paces but has anyone tried to do it as a group?
thanks

WhiteRaven

Postby WhiteRaven » 21 Jan 2009, 04:43

<standing on the edge ready to dive in> but with one quick question... There are two options of ordering the course, CD or written word. I'd like to hear what each one offers differently to the other. I know some learn better by hearing and some by reading. Not sure which way I lean... Does one offer more than the other? Ok, that's two questions! :grin:
Blessings,

Raven

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." ~Nora Roberts

Ailim
OBOD Druid

Postby Ailim » 21 Jan 2009, 15:03

Hi WhiteRaven, I obviously did the written course - before the CDs came in. However, I did buy the Bardic CD version when it came out to see what it was like.

Personally, I still like the freedom the paper version gives you. I liked being able to take the gwers with me to read on journeys or down the bottom of the garden. I tend to find I'm less likely to pick up my CD player to take with me so sadly I've not done much with the new course. I have tried to listen whilst walking the dog, but sometimes found myself reciting aloud something much to the amusement of passers by! I also won't listen to the CDs whilst driving as it can be distracting.

Of course if someone is used to listening to CDs/MP3s etc. all the time then perhaps the CD version would suit them better than it does me.

Having said that, however, the joy of actually listening to someone telling you things, especially the tales, is awesome. The music that accompanies the gwersi is beautiful and really puts you in the right frame of mind.

Difficult choice to make :) Both are excellent sources of inspiration and knowledge.
Ailim
As we progress on our journey we are changed by it

http://www.pagan-transitions.org.uk (Pagan funeral resource site)
Member of OBOD and The Druid Network
Member of the Pagan Federation / Pagan Federation Prison Ministry
Member of the charity - Pagan Aid

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 21 Jan 2009, 19:32

I have just order the introductory pack. I'm very excited - my friends and i have been practising our own form of spirituality as a group for 5 years or so now and have decided that we need to move it up a gear so to speak and really start to explore our spirituality in more depth.
If we decide to go ahead as a group of 5 how would it/could it work? Or are we all better studying completely as individuals?
I know we will all go at our own paces but has anyone tried to do it as a group?
thanks
Hi flame,
You might want to check with the office. There may be a limit to the number of people you can share materials with. The sharers pay a small fee in order to take the course too, or you could total it up and split it.
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

flame
OBOD Bard

Postby flame » 22 Jan 2009, 23:09

thanks jingle
at the moment there only seems to be two of us anyway the others think it may be too much for them... I have got the intro course and i am deffinately going to do the bardic grade. I have found it really exciting. I thought about the audio, then i liked the paper but then I put the cd on my ipod and loved all the music and the stories and thought i can listen and re listen when i am working and make notes, So i'll think some more and maybe make a decision :whistle: eventually.... the decider will be my friend. I was supossing the would be one 'friend' for each subscriber but i will get in touch with the office if they all deside to join!

Cercatore
OBOD Bard

Postby Cercatore » 23 Jan 2009, 19:18

<standing on the edge ready to dive in> but with one quick question... There are two options of ordering the course, CD or written word. I'd like to hear what each one offers differently to the other. I know some learn better by hearing and some by reading. Not sure which way I lean... Does one offer more than the other? Ok, that's two questions! :grin:
I actually got both, and I personally prefer the CDs. They are more convenient for me, and I'm very musical, so sounds mean a lot to me, and those just can't be expressed the same way with paper.
Image2012ImageMay truth guide, love protect, and hope encourage you until the end of time.

Ysbryd Blaidd

Postby Ysbryd Blaidd » 27 Jan 2009, 16:45

Ordered mine this morning, really excited :cloud9:

:fox:

Rowanberry
OBOD Ovate

Postby Rowanberry » 31 Jan 2009, 16:43

Hi!

I ordered my introductory pack last year. At that time I didn't continue to the Bardic grade course because somehow it didn't feel the right time for me. But times are changing. Now I feel it might be a good time to start working with the course. :) My question is - Can I still use the paper form that came with the introductory pack to order the course? I mean, are the details (the address, the price of the course) still same as a year ago? I could of course order the course from the website, but then I would get another introductory pack, wouldn't I?
"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."
- Ursula K. Le Guin -
Image Image

Kat Lady
OBOD Druid

Postby Kat Lady » 31 Jan 2009, 21:38

Hi Rowanberry!
I would suggest that you send an email to the office at office@druidry.org (Or OBOD@druidry.org) to verify the current cost. The basic cost is the same, I am sure. However, the currency change may be different. Better be safe than sorry, I say. Annie will let you know which is the best way for you at this stage.
If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.--Mark Twain

soulsong

Postby soulsong » 19 Apr 2009, 23:34

I just finished reading through my introductory course materials and I have to say I'm very impressed. I wish I could afford to sign up to the course proper right away, but it might have to wait a little while until I have a secure income again. Having bought the introduction pack, is there a discount for the full course?

I have a question if I may: how practical is the course as a whole? How much is learning about the academic history of druidry, how much is about ritual and reverence, and how much is real practical skills like storytelling and herbalism and so on? I'd hate to get through the course and discover that although I'd gained a lot of knowledge, I had no more skill or experience than when I began.

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 20 Apr 2009, 04:10

Hi soulsong,
About the pricing, it's best to ask the office.

As for the content, I found it quite experiential and I apply what I've learned on a daily basis. I don't know if that helps, but how much you learn in any course depends on how much you put into it in any case.
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

skh
OBOD Ovate

Postby skh » 20 Apr 2009, 06:10

As for the content, I found it quite experiential and I apply what I've learned on a daily basis. I don't know if that helps, but how much you learn in any course depends on how much you put into it in any case.
Yes. But. :wink: The course is extremely encouraging to develop one's own creativity and a strong bond with nature, but it does not explicitely teach any specific skill, such as music or story telling. It really focusses on spiritual and creative self development, and the practical application follows implicitly and has to be pursued by everybody as they feel it's best for them.

While I don't know about the pricing (ask the office), also know that you can give back the first "real" pack of the course in the first 30 days if it turns out to be not what you expected. (That's mentioned in the Terms & Conditions on the online enrolment page, for details, again, check with the office. They are lovely and very helpful people :) )

peace /|\
Sonja
I don't think anybody ever died thinking they loved people too much, or had too much joy, or made too much music.

soulsong

Postby soulsong » 20 Apr 2009, 17:02

The course ... does not explicitely teach any specific skill, such as music or story telling. It really focusses on spiritual and creative self development, and the practical application follows implicitly and has to be pursued by everybody as they feel it's best for them.
Thanks a shame, but not unexpected I suppose. If only there were monasteries of druidry ;)

skh
OBOD Ovate

Postby skh » 20 Apr 2009, 20:08

The course ... does not explicitely teach any specific skill, such as music or story telling. It really focusses on spiritual and creative self development, and the practical application follows implicitly and has to be pursued by everybody as they feel it's best for them.
Thanks a shame, but not unexpected I suppose. If only there were monasteries of druidry ;)
Well, having (almost) completed the Bardic grade, I'm convinced that the concept is good, and that the course is not missing anything -- in fact, it's the best thing that has happened to me in the last, say, 7 years of my life. But now and then people express disappointment because they have expected a more practical "bardic" training, be it musical or story telling or other creative endeavours, so I think it is only fair to point out what the course is not.

But on the other hand: if you have come to know yourself, and found what you want to share with the world, getting a harp and learning to play it is no longer the problem. :)

Anyway, I don't want to sell you anything. Welcome to the board!

peace /|\
Sonja
I don't think anybody ever died thinking they loved people too much, or had too much joy, or made too much music.

Mika

Postby Mika » 08 May 2009, 17:24

There is at least one. :grin:
Here: http://www.earthsanctuary.net

Rebecca
OBOD Ovate

Postby Rebecca » 10 Jun 2009, 00:47

:yay: I received the Introductory package today.

I am fairly certain that this is the direction in which I hope to go. I think that for the last several years I have felt disconnected because the druid group to which I belonged is more concerned with reconstruction and less concerned, it seems, with the HERE and NOW of living and practising druidry.

I look forward to spending more time with the two gwersi that came today.

I was just excited about this and wanted to share. :oops: I hope that is okay.

TeoBishop

Postby TeoBishop » 18 Jul 2009, 01:46

Blodyn,

That's wonderful! I'm excited for you! Mine is set to arrive any day now.

Blessings to you on your journey!
Teo Bishop

Please visit my blog, Bishop in the Grove at:
http://www.bishopinthegrove.com

Return to “Discuss Druidry”