The Druids did build Stonehenge

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Attila

The Druids did build Stonehenge

Post by Attila » 04 Jul 2012, 18:02

The 'Druids' did build Stonehenge

Lots of conjecture…

After watching the time team show about the dorset Ridgeway and the language of Pictish symbols, I got to thinking about how the magic worked. Whilst doing so it struck me that the picts made the stones in the 5-6th centuries AD, which connect with the Ogham and possibly runes [?]. yet apparently the druids didn’t worship in stone circles or use standing stones, what about symbols? …isn’t the white horse at uffington similar in nature to Pictish symbols. Did the old religion simply stop, did it transcend tribes and cultures, move across the see to norse lands to some degree. Are the picts not similar to the irish celts and possibly Britons.

I don’t think we can pin it down with specifics, but should take a look at the whole…

Pictish language/symbols/magic
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10924743

Check out Professor Rob Lee from Exeter University, he showed that the Pictish symbols were some manner of language.

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/ar ... -the-picts
- appears that ogham script means names of people and locations [descriptive; fork of river etc]. placed by that are the symbols, which assumedly denote magic to that place and that person. Possibly magic of ownership, power and a curse ~ that in some cases bad things will happen to those who cross the person.

On the channel4 time team episode about the Dorset Ridgeway, a few things stood out to me.
That at the time of the building of the Pictish stones, the priests of the Pictish religion [druidry] were fighting to save not just their lands, but also their religion.
The symbols were probably designed as magic symbols to ward off Christianity [its magic].
Some ritual sites appear to themselves be something akin to magic symbols [see also below]. [don’t ask me how I got there]
Indeed a battle was fought on a short-lived site along the Ridgeway [arrows and weapons found at the site], suggesting to me that someone wanted to stop the construction of the site prior to it being completed, and hence its magic formula/design and secrets would not work.

The religion largely or otherwise fundamentally based around the magical powers of male; stone or wood erections and phallic symbols, and female; genital mounds, orifices, stone labia ~ usually in the centre of mounds or entrance of barrows.

- reminds me of Taoist and ancient Chinese religions in terms of yin and yang.
As seers you will notice yang as a shininess, a shining or white light in things of masculine spirit; where here I’d make a connection with white and masculinity + chalk hills of the Ridgeway. the white horse at uffington then becomes a symbol of masculinity and the vigour of a running horse, possibly a tribal boundary at some point. I’d say definitely that, and in the same context of the Pictish stones marking boundaries with magic.
For the feminine you will see an emptiness [caugant ~ local], or a blackness/dullness like the womb, sometimes a force retracting or receiving, pulling inwards as opposed to the masculine pushing upon you or something.

Notes for consideration.

Not just in druidry but in possible all ancient cultures, there seams to be this basic essentiality to magic; that there is an invisible ‘substance’ which is also a kind of nothingness. That specific things you do make an imprint upon it, like with what is now called a voodoo doll [ancient European witchcraft], by making an image of someone you can impress a given thing upon them [health or curse originally]. Many curses were done symbolically by the same principle, statues of gods connected you to said god.
Without going on about the specifics, I think the utility of that ether or magical substance was fundamental to ancient British magic. A word or symbol can have effect alone just as an image or object, but the language of the symbol is what’s important. It seems that the meaning has to be unordinary or it fades away into the world of the ordinary [naturally one could say], if the language is a cipher or otherwise hidden, better still if it’s a conundrum or some clever twist on meaning.

Analogously, consider all the prayers [also a kind of such magic] people make in the world, then that if they were all being listened to who would the god favour? What if he grants all wishes but most cancel each other out [or are countered by another druid! Or such], or the ideas conflict in some way. For me I feel that the ancients understood the language of this as something like a code. Equally, that complex meaning had to be imbued into the symbol or magic script etc, even if the initial desire is something simple like the desire for a child or someone’s misfortune.

Notes below* are for reference to how magic connects to different aspects of the spiritual cosmic landscape.

For rebirth I’d assume; the tomb to be as like a womb, experienced as a darkness or more a clear light void [the feminine] ~ the darkness as a blackness [outer circle [of abred]] should be avoided at all costs and is the essence of nightmares, death, ignorance [as a spatial entity or such, not just a mental idea]. Within which shall appear a light or tunnel [here androgynous [white + orifice as one]] prior to direct rebirth with the birth as the masculine principle forcing outwards. Sometimes there will be an experience of other realms.
For non-rebirth in the earthly realm, the void will be experienced as clear light [caugant], then a dotted green beam of light shall appear and take you to an orb-realm [celtic version appears to be purple], or some other entrance to another realm e.g. of the underworld or caugant [inner circle of abred] shall appear.

the truth is naked.
once it is written it is lost.
what is life; life is not a question.
genius is the result of the entire product of man.
death cannot be experienced.
life is not brought to us in slices of unrealised perfection, we get the whole cake.

Twyrch
OBOD Druid

Re: The Druids did build Stonehenge

Post by Twyrch » 12 Feb 2013, 16:41

In my novel, Brander, I theorize that the ancient druids had the assistance of Faerie creatures to build these monoliths and that they are portals to the Faerie Realm. Just as good a theory as any other one I've heard. :)
Twyrch  /|\  J. D. Edwards

ImageImageImage

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Gunslinger

Re: The Druids did build Stonehenge

Post by Gunslinger » 05 Mar 2013, 03:20

Except we do have some idea of how Stonehenge was built. One building method was discovered here in the U.S..

Return to “Discuss Druidry”