Poems and Stories to Memorize

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aosto

Poems and Stories to Memorize

Post by Aosto » 18 Jan 2013, 02:57

It's been a while since I've posted here, but recently I have gotten back into druidry after some time away. I'm wanting to know, what are some stories and poems that Bards should memorize? I've recently committed to memory 'Stolen Child' by Yeats, but am looking for more. Please let me know!
A soft answer turns away anger.
"Múchadh feirge sofhreagra"

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Poems and Stories to Memorize

Post by Aphritha » 18 Jan 2013, 03:33

:boggle: You're from Des Moines! Another Iowan! Can't say I've had the pleasure of meeting another Iowan on here. I'm from Waterloo. :shake:
I would think anything that you have a love for and want to share with others is perfectly acceptable. I wanted to work on my storytelling a bit since joining the OBOD, and the first myth I picked was that of Hades and Persephone. That one always took me. Not sure where I'll go from there but the beauty of Druidry is its so adaptable...

Aosto

Post by Aosto » 18 Jan 2013, 03:57

Nice to see another Iowan on here as well. I used to lurk about these forums many a moon ago, but fell from my path. I'm starting to regain it after I realized how much I missed it. A friend of mine has started an undertaking of writing a fantasy novel based on Druidry, I started to ramble on and on and this re-lite the flame for me. So, i'm back to it...studying and familiarizing myself again with the ways.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Post by Aphritha » 18 Jan 2013, 04:33

Its interesting how things pop up in life to keep us on track at just the right time...
I've been interested in Druidry for a few years now. It was brought to my attention by the gift of a book by some family members. I read, learned more, began to incorperate the ways into my life, and here I am! I joined the boards last summer upon joining OBOD.
Welcome back, and good luck to your friend with his novel! Let us know when he/she gets it finished...we can always use another good story. :)

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Post by DaRC » 18 Jan 2013, 13:16

I think the aim is to find those that speak to you and you wish to bring into your heart & mind.
Have you ever read Fahrenheit 451?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Aosto

Post by Aosto » 18 Jan 2013, 15:16

I haven't read it, it's on my list though. I'm looking for stories that not only speak to the heart, but present a lesson or some form of moral teaching, such as IF by Kipling. Also faery related poems such as those by Yeats.

As for stories, I don't plan to memorize them word for word. I want to memorize the details so I can spin the tale by memory and add some more detail. Anyone who has read the Mabinogion knows it's a dry read at times, but fascinating all the same.

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Post by Crinia » 19 Jan 2013, 07:17

Hello Aosto

My favourite fairy story is Carolan's Concerto by Caiseal Mor

This is a story based on the tale of Turlough O'Carolan the harper who was said to have received his gift to play the harp from the Queen and King of the fairies.
As the books cover says it is "a toast to the three sacred past times of old Ireland: music, storytelling and whiskey"

At the moment I am working on remembering the story of Sir Gawain and Lady Ragnall, from the very enjoyable version performed by Claire Hamilton in podcast 22 of Druidcast.

Crinia
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

Opal

Post by Opal » 25 Mar 2013, 03:38

DaRC wrote:I think the aim is to find those that speak to you and you wish to bring into your heart & mind.
That is an excellent guide, though I also think poems can be memorised just for fun (I can remember several occasions with different friends laughing and reciting Jabberwocky or Roald Dahl's Little Red Riding Hood).

I came across this poem by Lord Byron recently. I have several rather argumentative atheist friends who, err, quibble on Facebook, let's say, about their and other's beliefs. The first line of this poem strikes me as a much more beautiful and elegant way of talking about finding meaning without a divine guide.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.
That is what I want to take into my heart.

This is another poem that is important to me. I'd have it read at my funeral :old:
Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

William Shakespeare
From The Tempest, Act 4 Scene 1
Some poems are much easier to memorise than others. The Thought Fox by Ted Hughes gave me so much trouble! You do gain a deeper appreciation for any poem that you memorise though, it gives it new life to make it part of you.

How is the poem hunting going? :)

AlainaFae
OBOD Ovate

Post by AlainaFae » 25 Feb 2014, 04:05

This seems like a really promising thread! I hope it continues to grow!

A poem that I intend to memorize (and the one that convinced me to buy the book) as part of my Bardic experience is from "This Day: Collected & New Sabbath Poems" by Wendell Berry, I of 1979 (page 7):

I go among trees and sit still.
All my stirring becomes quiet
around me like circles on water.
My tasks lie in their places
where I left them, asleep like cattle.

Then what is afraid of me comes
and lives a while in my sight.
What it fears in me leaves me,
and the fear of me leaves it.
It sings, and I hear its song.

Then what I am afraid of comes.
I live for a while in its sight.
What I fear in it leaves it,
and the fear of it leaves me.
It sings, and I hear its song.

After days of labor,
mute in my consternations,
I hear my song at last,
and I sing it. As we sing,
the day turns, the trees move.
"Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people." - CG Jung Image

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Discuss Druidry”