Meeting my ancestors after death

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Boudica

Meeting my ancestors after death

Post by Boudica » 17 Feb 2013, 14:20

Hello everyone,

I am still very new to the Druid path, so please forgive me if I make statements that are incorrect.

I have been reading what I can about Druidry on the internet, and it seems that they believe we will be reunited with our ancestors after death. I'm wondering, if my parents die before I do, does that include them? Will I meet them in the Otherworld when I die?

I'm asking because my parents hate me and have disowned me. The are very brainwashed conservative Independent Fundamental Baptist missionaries, and when they heard that I was living with my boyfriend, they cut me off. They called me a whore, told me I was living in sin, said they never want to speak to me again, and that I am not allowed to speak to my two little brothers because I would be an ungodly influence on them. This was a year and a half ago. They still absolutely refuse to speak to me, unless I "repent" of my sins, and come back to their god (which will never happen, because I have never believed the way they do).

So now I'm wondering if I will have to see them after I die, and if they will still be as hostile in the next life.

StephenThomas
OBOD Ovate

Re: Meeting my ancestors after death

Post by StephenThomas » 17 Feb 2013, 14:38

I don't know that anyone can give you a hard and fast answer. My own thoughts are that you will, but they will be of a different mind set. Once crossing over, we understand the real truth of things. I don't know any of us has it perfect. There are sure to be, "Doh! I had that completely wrong" moments. Some will have more of them than others.

I think the question might really be; do you want to see them again? Our own attitudes have so much power. If you would like healing in the relationship, that is one thing, if you want revenge or some other form of compensation, then that is quite another. Seek the path that brings the most peace and the least harm and it will benefit you.

Just my two cents! :whistle:
Steve (Grayhawk) /|\

ImageImage

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Post by Sciethe » 17 Feb 2013, 14:52

Hi Boudica,
REALLY good question!

So sorry about this rift with your family, nasty.

Thinking about the afterlife question, remember that you'll find a range of belief about this among Druids. Druids range from Atheists through to Buddhists, Christians, Wiccans and Shamanics. Every shade between, as well. The core of Dridism, at it's heart is the ancient Celtic, Brythonic way and typically Druids acknowledge this. Yes, many acknowlege an afterlife. Luckily Druidry is a path that teaches one to deal with situations like yours, and life is often long, things change and develop. Taking the long view it may not be so bad by the time you get there. If not, at risk of being flippant- still a sort of serious point though- how foolish are fundamentalists going to look if they end up in the Celtic afterlife with us? I think you might get the "sorry" that you're due.
Sciethe
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Boudica

Post by Boudica » 17 Feb 2013, 14:59

StephenThomas - Of course I want to see them again. They are my family and I love them. But I do not want to be treated the way they have treated me. I want to be loved and accepted by them. I wish their eyes could be opened to how narrow-minded they are. I have repeatedly tried to come to a middle ground with them, but I must do things their way, or they want nothing to do with me. I don't want revenge, but I do believe that they will somehow pay for what they did (I won't be the one making them pay). I think I believe in something like Karma. I don't understand how some people can have so much hate in their heart, or believe that they are superior to everyone else.
But yes, I would like to see them again if they would apologize for all the hurt they have caused. If they will just continue to hurt me, then no, I do not want to see them.

Sciethe - Thank you for the input :D Hopefully things will be resolved in this life, but I greatly doubt it. I can't recall a time that my father ever admitted he was wrong.

StephenThomas
OBOD Ovate

Post by StephenThomas » 17 Feb 2013, 15:04

I understand what you are saying. Having been hurt by many fundamentalist Christians, I know just what you're saying. I am heartened to hear you say you still love them after all the hurt they have caused! So many would find it easy to turn that hurt into anger and hate. I pray that they will "see the light" at some point in this life time!
Steve (Grayhawk) /|\

ImageImage

Boudica

Post by Boudica » 17 Feb 2013, 15:07

StephenThomas wrote:I pray that they will "see the light" at some point in this life time!
Thank you :D

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Post by Aphritha » 17 Feb 2013, 16:51

I hope so, too! I think you're right...I think they will 'pay' for their attitudes. When they have a family gathering and see you not there, when they're reminded of a childhood moment of yours and remember they 'can't' talk to you...and then they realize its because of their own actions! If it hasn't kicked in yet, it will one day. Pride can turn into such an ugly thing...
As to the afterlife, I have no proven answers(no one does, really) on to who you'll be seeing, but I kind of take the stand that you'll most closely deal with those you were close to in heart, even if not necessarily in blood. I would think you'd have the opportunity to make peace with those who hurt you/you hurt as well. There's a book called What Dreams May Come that I feel paints a good picture of how things might be(hell of a story, either way)...but I guess no one really knows until we get there!

Skyewolfe
OBOD Bard

Post by Skyewolfe » 17 Feb 2013, 17:36

This scenario is what frustrates me most about formal religions...they all seem to profess forgiveness, love, and equality - yet it seems to me, they really mean only if you are one of us. Now I am not saying this is 100% true all the time, but it's an undercurrent I have seen all too often and it bothers me.

As for seeing one's ancestors after death, I think there's truth to it but I am not sure. I do believe the spirit rises from oneself. I once almost died after an operation and I remember vividly the feeling of my soul rising up above me and looking down upon myself. It was the strangest feeling to say the least. I hope we do meet ancestors and loved ones after death. And I hope past transgressions are left behind.

:warm:
Skye Wolfe

The strength of the pack is in the wolf, the strength of the wolf is in the pack.

Deamond
OBOD Bard

Post by Deamond » 15 Jan 2014, 01:11

If you want a traditional answer Death was but anougher journey

You go on to the next word and reincarnate.
We must look to our past to improve our future.

Francesca

Post by Francesca » 19 Jan 2014, 23:26

I had a similar worry about my mother who was cruel and neglectful, though never deliberately. I never believed she would change . I met her through a shamanic journey and she was in the process of learning a great deal about her behaviour in this life and was genuinely sorry. I am finding it easier to forgive her. Don't give up hope.

Return to “Discuss Druidry”