Quotes to inspire and edify

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
treegod
OBOD Druid

Re: Quotes to inspire and edify

Post by treegod » 26 Feb 2014, 14:37

“The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and mystery. There is always more mystery.” Anais Nin

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 03 Mar 2014, 08:38

“Let us feel and obey the urge aroused by the great need of healing the serious ills which at present are affecting humanity; let us realize the contribution we can make to the creation of a new civilization characterized by an harmonious integration and cooperation, pervaded by the spirit of synthesis.” Robert Assaggioli

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Post by Dysgwr » 03 Mar 2014, 19:19

Neil DeGrasse Tyson wrote:The most astounding fact is the knowledge that the atoms that comprise life on Earth, the atoms that make up the human body, are traceable to the crucibles that cooked light elements into heavy elements in their core under extreme temperatures and pressures. These stars, the high mass ones among them, went unstable. In their later years they collapsed and then exploded scattering their enriched guts across the - galaxy guts made of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen and all the fundamental ingredients of life itself. These ingredients become part of gas clouds that condense, collapse, form the next generation of solar systems stars with orbiting planets, and those planets now have the ingredients for life itself.

So that when I look up at the night sky and I know that yes, we are part of this universe, we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the Universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up – many people feel small because they’re small and the Universe is big – but I feel big, because my atoms came from those stars. There’s a level of connectivity. That’s really what you want in life, you want to feel connected, you want to feel relevant you want to feel like a participant in the goings on of activities and events around you That’s precisely what we are, just by being alive…
From "The Most Astounding Fact"
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Post by Crinia » 04 Mar 2014, 05:02

You are me, and I am you.
Isn’t it obvious that we ‘inter-are’?
You cultivate the flower in yourself,
So that I will be beautiful.
I transform the garbage in myself,
So that you will not have to suffer.
I support you;
You support me.
I am in this world to offer you peace;
You are in this world to bring me joy.

- Thich Nhat Hanh
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 04 Mar 2014, 08:08

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.” Albert Einstein

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 08 Mar 2014, 17:20

“Art does not solve problems but makes us aware of their existence. It opens our eyes to see and our brain to imagine.” Magdalena Abakanowicz

“The capacity for wonder has been called our most pregnant human faculty, for in it are born our art, our science, our religion.” Ralph Sockman

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Post by Snægl » 13 Mar 2014, 22:28

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Forþan bið andgit æghwær selest ferðes foreþanc. :zen:
Therefore, in every respect understanding is best, and deliberation of spirit.
-- Beowulf 1059–1060
ImageImageThe Druid's Well Blog

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 13 Mar 2014, 23:19

“Buddhism has no room for special effort. Just be ordinary and nothing special. Eat and drink, then move your bowels and pass water, and when you’re tired go to sleep. Fools will find me ridiculous, but the wise will understand.” Lin-Chi

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Post by xidia » 16 Mar 2014, 19:34

"We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." (unknown)

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional." (Family saying)

"Take my life, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free:
You can't take the sky from me"
(Ballad of Serenity, extract used as Firefly main theme song)

"The only dream worth having is that you will live while you are alive, and die only when you are dead. To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try to understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." Arundhati Roy, Come September

""Happiness is a journey, not a destination...for a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. And there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, a time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no-one." (Sousa)

"I am responsible. Although I may not be able to prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I to respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have - life itself". —Walter Anderson

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Post by Snægl » 16 Mar 2014, 20:05

I find that as I grow older, I care less and less about more and more!

--R.Thomas McDonald (aka Dad), on the occasion of his 80th birthday
Forþan bið andgit æghwær selest ferðes foreþanc. :zen:
Therefore, in every respect understanding is best, and deliberation of spirit.
-- Beowulf 1059–1060
ImageImageThe Druid's Well Blog

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Post by Crinia » 17 Mar 2014, 10:17

You don't have a soul
You are a soul
You have a body

C.S. Lewis

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 21 Mar 2014, 08:39

“To get everything you want is not a good thing. Disease makes health seem sweet. Hunger leads to the appreciation of being full-fed. Tiredness creates the enjoyment of resting.” Heraclitus

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 24 Mar 2014, 08:31

“Peace has to be created, in order to be maintained. It is the product of Faith, Strength, Energy, Will, Sympathy, Justice, Imagination, and the triumph of principle. It will never be achieved by passivity and quietism.” Dorothy Thompson

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Post by Crinia » 04 Apr 2014, 10:39

Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates.
At the first gate, ask yourself, ‘Is it true?’
At the second ask, ‘Is it necessary?’
At the third gate ask ‘Is it kind?
Rumi

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 09 Apr 2014, 09:05

“Peace is not the absence of conflict but the presence of creative alternatives for responding to conflict — alternatives to passive or aggressive responses, alternatives to violence.” Dorothy Thompson

“True peace is not merely the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice.” Martin Luther King, jr

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 14 Apr 2014, 11:03

“The transformation of the world is brought about by the transformation of oneself.” Krishnamurti

“We have to bring about a psychological transformation in our relationship with the society in which we live. Therefore, there is no escape from it into the Himalayas, into becoming a monk or a nun, and taking up social service, and all the rest of such juvenile business. We have to live in this world, we have to bring about a radical transformation in our relationship with each other; not in some distant future, but now.” Krishnamurti

EagleEye

Post by EagleEye » 19 Apr 2014, 23:29

"Work is love made visible." - Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet
Let us drink the Sun
and paint every tongue
with the light of Hosts
with honey.

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 20 Apr 2014, 08:12

“A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Post by Sciethe » 26 Apr 2014, 14:18

Crinia wrote:Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates.
At the first gate, ask yourself, ‘Is it true?’
At the second ask, ‘Is it necessary?’
At the third gate ask ‘Is it kind?
Rumi
A lot of good stuff, but I think I like this Rumi quote the most.

I often think of this one and smile:
"I am a scientist, and I know what constitutes proof" - Wonko the Sane, in D.Adams.
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

treegod
OBOD Druid

Post by treegod » 26 Apr 2014, 17:55

“The world is pregnant with God.” Angela of Foligno

“What good is it to me if Mary gave birth to the Son of God hundreds of years ago, if I do not give birth to the Son of God in my time and my culture? We are all meant to be Mothers of God, for God is always needing to be born.” Meister Eckhart

Return to “Discuss Druidry”