Imbolc or Groundhog Day?

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Imbolc or Groundhog Day?

Post by DJ Droood » 02 Feb 2014, 19:59

This is probably only relevant to North Americans, but which resonates more, Imbolc or Groundhog Day?

I prefer Groundhog Day. It is secular, fun, inclusive, community-oriented, focused on animal divination, regional, in that there are a number of celebrity groundhogs in different parts of the continent and is featured in an hilarious Bill Murry movie.

Imbolc is hard to pronounce, obscure, confusing in its meaning....something about lactating sheep...and what is a 'snow bell' anyway?....cultish, and feels disconnected to modern culture.

Am I a Druid heretic? :-|
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Imbolc or Groundhog Day?

Post by Aphritha » 02 Feb 2014, 22:18

It seems most Druids are heretics in some way, shape or form...
I like Imbolc better. Groundhog Day here is n't really mentioned, other than some guy on the radio announces in the morning whether or not the little guy saw his shadow. I didn't hear this year; did he see it? Other than that, its promptly forgotten.
It took me a few years to really give a hoot about Imbolc, as well. I couldn't really get excited for it, because it had little relevance to me in the Midwest. Snowdrops...there's no snowdrops here, nothing but snow, and lots of it! However, once my older son was a few years old, I decided I'd mark its passing with cake baking. Everyone likes cake. Once I took the time to mark it, I started reflecting on it. As the years went by, I could see more meaning to it; to me, it is a celebration of hearth and home. In the harshness of winter, I really begin to appreciate the physical body of my house, and the food in my freezer. Imbolc recognizes Brigid, who can be seen as a domestic goddess, so I celebrate this aspect of her. Once I started making it a celebration, it started helping me cope with the winter blahs I get around this time of year, acknowledging that the wheel will yet again turn.
But, this is ust my experience with it! Though, I'm gonna confess, I have NO idea how to pronounce it, and am probably doing it worng.

Kiara
OBOD Bard

Post by Kiara » 03 Feb 2014, 04:43

I've always pronounced Imbolc as i-molk but I've also heard IM-bulk
ImageImage

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Post by Aphritha » 04 Feb 2014, 06:07

My 7 year old's been pronouncig it 'Im-boe'. Good enough for me.

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Post by Snægl » 13 Mar 2014, 21:04

DJ Droood wrote:This is probably only relevant to North Americans, but which resonates more, Imbolc or Groundhog Day?
You want heretical? Here we go! I actually have a running list of U.S. holidays that (VERY roughly) correlate to the eightfold holidays:

Groundhog Day=Imbolc
St. Patrick's (which is secularly celebrated in New England)=Vernal Equinox
Mother's Day or Memorial Day=Beltaine
Father's Day=Midsummer
4th of July=Lughnasa
Labor Day=Autumn Equinox
Halloween or Veteran's Day=Samhain
New Year's=Yule

So, not a perfect match up, but it was a fun exercise to see how we still like to have celebrations every six weeks or so!
Forþan bið andgit æghwær selest ferðes foreþanc. :zen:
Therefore, in every respect understanding is best, and deliberation of spirit.
-- Beowulf 1059–1060
ImageImageThe Druid's Well Blog

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Post by DJ Droood » 13 Mar 2014, 23:02

Snægl wrote:
DJ Droood wrote:This is probably only relevant to North Americans, but which resonates more, Imbolc or Groundhog Day?
You want heretical? Here we go! I actually have a running list of U.S. holidays that (VERY roughly) correlate to the eightfold holidays:

Groundhog Day=Imbolc
St. Patrick's (which is secularly celebrated in New England)=Vernal Equinox
Mother's Day or Memorial Day=Beltaine
Father's Day=Midsummer
4th of July=Lughnasa
Labor Day=Autumn Equinox
Halloween or Veteran's Day=Samhain
New Year's=Yule

So, not a perfect match up, but it was a fun exercise to see how we still like to have celebrations every six weeks or so!
ah very cool...I'm in Canada, but have a similar list. (July 1st instead of 4th, and in my mind, November 11 is the end of the "Halloween feast" ) My feeling is that if the Druids of old were intertwined with the life of the community, then the Druids of new should also dance to the beat of the time and place in which they live. The past informs the present...druidry shouldn't be like a fly entombed in amber, worn as jewelry :gulp: .
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Return to “Discuss Druidry”