Daily druid life - a newbie question

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
rainy

Daily druid life - a newbie question

Post by rainy » 07 Oct 2014, 05:50

Hi all!

Yes, I'm a newbie around here. I introduced myself over in the proper forum, but for those who didn't see, I'm a US based 27 year old who has been drawn to druidry for a long time now. I'm finally taking the steps toward learning about this incredible way of life. I haven't enrolled in any courses yet, but I plan to when I have the funds saved up to do so.

Until then, I'm learning all I can outside of the course setting, and from as many different credible sources as possible!

I have a question that I can't seem to find a solid answer to, however. And the answer may be staring me in the face and I just don't realize it, but... how do you, as a druid, practice your spirituality in daily life? I don't necessarily mean rituals or prayer, although those certainly count too, but I'm also wondering if there are things you do each day that are just a part of your druid lifestyle.

In other words, if I asked, "describe an average day in the life of a druid," would the answer include anything different from the average day of anyone else?

I hope this question made sense! And I thank you for putting up with my newbie inquiry. :)

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Re: Daily druid life - a newbie question

Post by xidia » 07 Oct 2014, 09:08

Mine looks much like that of any other wage slave from the outside. For me, it's all about awareness and intent. I notice the budding leaves in spring which change day by day. I stop for a moment to appreciate a beautiful play of light on clouds. I smell the rain. I listen to birdsong when I'm out running (sometimes - other times I plug the iPod in!).

I'm building a couple of energy rituals into daily life to deepen my connection but for, druidry is primarily a state of mind, of deliberate attention and focus on the natural world amongst the bustle of everyday life.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Post by DJ Droood » 07 Oct 2014, 12:00

That is an interesting question...first of all, I doubt there is an average druid, just like their isn't an average Christian or Muslim...just individuals who happen to hold a certain set of values (very loose in the druid's case!) What do we "do" daily, apart from the prayers and rituals? I suppose a common theme amongst all the diverse druids is a heightened awareness and respect for the sacredness of nature (including human nature). So I guess most of us pay mind to minimizing our negative impacts on our world, and trying to add some value if we can...which can be tough in the neo-feudal wage slave (right xidia) society we live in.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Post by DaRC » 07 Oct 2014, 12:41

Hmm there is a certain Druidic pattern to my life, but as others have said I think Druidry is a loose collection of individual patterns. Some more hardcore than others.

Daily - I perform Yoga which is infused with Druidic intent; e.g the Sun Salute Asana is performed facing east wards in the morning as a salute to the sun. I also take time during the day to recognise the aspects of the wheel of the year as it turns and it's effect in nature; the autumnal full moon or those evenings when the sun is setting in the west as the moon is rising in the east and you feel each of the three celestial bodies that control us.

Weekly - meditation is a central practice to Druidry and I aim for 3 per week.

Yearly cycle - I don't pray as such, I honour or pay respect to those transrational aspects of life (aka gods, elves, fairies, natural forces, coincidences) as part of the 8 fold year and also spontaneously.
Oh yes & eating seasonal food :o
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Post by Whitemane » 07 Oct 2014, 12:45

Bringing your pet dragon to work is frowned upon...

Just a few thoughts:

Before settling in to the old cubicle for the day, try finding a green space or walk you can take and spend a few minutes there and contemplate and enjoy the energies around you.

Try buying your food as close to the land as possible, e.g. go to farmers markets.

Help friends and neighbours in the yard and garden.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

rainy

Post by rainy » 07 Oct 2014, 13:19

Thank you all so much for your insightful answers! I appreciate everything I have learned from your words.

I am blessed to be spending my autumn in New England, where I live on a very rural mountainside surrounded by forests and cruelty free farms. This is an incredible opportunity in my life to be closer to nature, so I aim to incorporate that into each day as much as possible. I appreciate the other suggestions here too!

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Post by Explorer » 07 Oct 2014, 18:52

rainy wrote: In other words, if I asked, "describe an average day in the life of a druid," would the answer include anything different from the average day of anyone else?
Small things, almost unnoticable, but giving away the underlying way of perceiving life... I greet things.
When I go out first I welcome the day, thank the night, and often try to get a glimpse of the 'spirit of the day'. Just trying to sense what kind of day it will become.
When I see the sun for the first time I greet him, when I hear a raven or buzzard, or see other wildlife, I wave, listen and respond. When I am in the woods on my lunch break I usually greet the largest trees, recognizing them as a kind of guardians of that place. In the house, I nod at the fire and the candles that my wife (also a druid) lights with intent. I even greet the spirits of the house when something creaks or makes a sound. All without thinking much about it really.

On a slower cycle, I am always aware of the time of year and what that roughly means, druidry-wise. And my actions and responses to daily happenings have a tendency to try to flow in line with that cycle. Not very dogmatic or spectacular, or even very conscious, but it just kind of starts to happen automatically when you become more aware of all this druidry.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Post by Aphritha » 10 Oct 2014, 15:59

I think the biggest change that came to my life was I am conscious. I can not say I dropped very bad habit I had, or my life suddenly became magical and mystical, but now I am conscious. When I buy something, I am conscious of what implications it has on me or the environment. Even if the choice was poor, I am aware. I am conscious of the thoughts/processes of others(human or non human). I no longer try to censor the 'dark' aspects of myself, but seek to blend for better usage.
Eating with the cycle of the seasons has had a huge impact. Once I started buying fresh and local, I felt I didn't need to put as much effort forth to be aware of earth's cycles. After all, they were in me, literally. Herbed asparagus in the spring, pumpkin soup in the fall. I think the foods of the season signal something to our brains, telling us what time it is.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Post by ShadowCat » 12 Oct 2014, 06:38

Whitemane wrote:Bringing your pet dragon to work is frowned upon...
I've disguised my dragon as a cat and she's in my office when there are no clients about. Having your own office in the house next to your home makes that easy tho. :grin:

This is a very good topic, thank you for asking the questions Rainy. I can only be honest and say that in my mind, in my longing, there is much more integration than there really is in day to day life: it's a process and I recognise that in about the 20 months of OBOD that I'm connected to those teachings, I'm still as much a noobie as the day I started. In fact, only now I'm realising it, but I've had a cocky "I know it all phase" a few months back :oops: I really don't have the natural easy connection that for instance Explorer above talks about, not yet anyway. It's something that can't be forced and has to grow day by day.

The training has helped me develop what I call the watcher, this objective self that reviews actions and life without attachment and just looks at odd habits and quirky things I do "just because" and observes with nothing more than a "mmmm, interesting". That is, for me, the key to change. No longer rushing from "I should do this" to "I should do that", but being aware: "O, I am doing this, while I desire that....mmmm, interesting".

In that effect there is a zen-aspect in Druidry (there's even a lovely little book about zen-druidry).
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

Golden Harps are like cookies, you can never have just one
Sacred spaces and places

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Post by Fire oak » 12 Oct 2014, 11:07

For me it's the deeper awareness of and connection to all around me on a day to day basis Rainy. I find I'm stopping to notice things that before I would have rushed by. I'm also aware of a sense of inner peace but that is only recent (I'm in month 13 as a Bard in training).

On a larger scale I'm much more aware of the seasons, the turning of the wheel, the cycles within everything and of how they affect or impact on me than I was when I started.

I'm not sure it's any one thing really, more lots of little things that add up to the whole. Oh and a much stronger sense of gratitude :)
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Old Luddite
OBOD Bard

Post by Old Luddite » 12 Oct 2014, 19:33

ShadowCat wrote:
The training has helped me develop what I call the watcher, this objective self that reviews actions and life without attachment and just looks at odd habits and quirky things I do "just because" and observes with nothing more than a "mmmm, interesting". That is, for me, the key to change. No longer rushing from "I should do this" to "I should do that", but being aware: "O, I am doing this, while I desire that....mmmm, interesting".

In that effect there is a zen-aspect in Druidry (there's even a lovely little book about zen-druidry).

Oooooo.....I like that ^

Branflakes
OBOD Ovate

Post by Branflakes » 13 Oct 2014, 16:33

I really like some of the answers in this thread! I notice a lot of awareness, and I love Shadowcat's "watcher" explanation. I find that a lot of this also coincides with how I practice my Druidic path.

When I began practicing Druidry, I embraced the idea of mindfulness. I implemented it into my practices. I still have a little sign made from a piece of my gwersi envelopes that I wrote "Live Mindfully!" stuck on my bathroom's mirror. It's really about being aware of your thoughts, actions, emotions, etc. through your day to day life. And not just your day to day life, but the turning of the Wheel of the Year. I find that you become more aware of the seasonal changes when you're practicing mindfulness on this sort of level.

I also find meditation a very important part of my personal Druidic practice. Just clearing your mind and sitting still . . . it seems to reenergize me in a way. Refreshes me. I (try to) meditate every day for at least 20 minutes. As the saying goes, meditate for at least 20 minutes a day. Unless you're very busy...in that case, meditate for an hour every day!

Return to “Discuss Druidry”