druidry and drugs

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: druidry and drugs

Postby DaRC » 31 May 2015, 17:55

Ahh DJDroood you now have to do a full purification after sullying yourself by reading that particular online rag... :grin:
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 31 May 2015, 18:25

Thank you DJDroood, a fascinating find and article.

After a little flit around the net I have found some more very nice photos of the artefacts, with some preliminary interpretation of the scenes depicted, on (site seems free of malware):

http://www.zmescience.com/science/archa ... -29052015/

I am looking forward to reading something learnéd about this, putting the finds in context with what is known about the Scythians during this era.

(Also rinses brain and eyeballs in bleach in case of contamination from DM :D )
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 31 May 2015, 18:50

Ahh DJDroood you now have to do a full purification after sullying yourself by reading that particular online rag... :grin:
Flagillating as we speak.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

MountainGnome

Postby MountainGnome » 01 Jun 2015, 02:35

Flagillating as we speak.
I think you misspelled "flatulating."

:shrug:

But a little more seriously I'm surprised more finds like this aren't uncovered. The Greeks used blue lotus, cannabis (hashish) and opium too, sometimes/often in their mystery initiations. And the more I read about history from this era, the more I believe that the Greeks got a lot of their traditions, religion and general knowledge, not from the east, but from the west, from the druidic cultures. There were some ancient Greek writers who even said as much themselves, though the weight of their statements was apparently never fully considered.

Caesar wrote that the "Celtic" tribes (Celt comes from the Greek word Keltoi for "milk faces" -- actually a derogative term) in Gaul used the Greek alphabet. The Phoenicians are thought to have developed the first phonetic alphabet (thus the word "phonetic," from Phoenician -- check it out yourself folks :P ), but alphabets have been discovered in western Europe that predate the Phoenicians, so there is more than one way to look at this diffusion of knowledge.

Return to “Discuss Druidry”