Druids like Peace? What proof?

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Druids like Peace? What proof?

Postby Davin Raincloud » 01 May 2015, 02:45

Hi everyone! :hiya:

OBOD places a lot of importance on Peace, and invoking Peace.

This suits me, because I'm a Peace loving guy.

But it makes me wonder and question. For those Celtic scholars and Druid Scholars out there, what is the historical basis for this?

:old: I'd love to know them.

Thanks all!

Peace to all!

:awen: :seasons:

treegod
OBOD Druid

Re: Druids like Peace? What proof?

Postby treegod » 01 May 2015, 11:20

There's a couple of quotes that hint towards it (found here):

For they [the Druids] generally settle all their disputes, both public and private… The Druids usually abstain from war, nor do they pay taxes together with the others; they have exemption from warfare.
Julius Caesar

Often when the combatants are ranged face to face, and swords are drawn and spears are bristling, these men come between the armies and stay the battle, just as wild beasts are sometimes held spellbound. Thus even among the most savage barbarians anger yields to wisdom, and Mars is shamed before the Muses.
Diodorus Siculus

From these, some revival druids of a pacifist persuasion "extrapolated" that maybe they were in favour of peace, and perhaps could have been pacifists. In a society with a well-developed warrior culture it would deeply surprise me if this was the case. They probably had as much hand in starting or orchestrating wars as stopping them.

My own idea is that they could have regulated wars, inspired by something that I read long ago (I've forgotten the source) that Celtic "wars" sometimes just involve the choosing of a champion to fight on behalf of their tribe, instead of whole armies throwing themselves at each other. Celts were meant to have been enthusiastic warriors, so wars were common, but all out wars whenever they felt like it would have been destructive for the tribes and the land, and channeling this aggressive energy would have been important. Druids, or others in positions of power, acted as referees, setting out conditions and in some cultures war is ritualised and comes with ettiquette, and this could have been the case in the days for the Celts, supervised by the druids. That makes more sense to me.

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 01 May 2015, 11:35

Thank you Treegod. Makes sense.

Good to see there is an historical basis.

Now, if we can only get exempted from taxes!! :P

:greenpeace: :awen: :trisk:

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 01 May 2015, 11:59

One view is that the Druids were the intelligentsia of Celtic society. This would mean that they looked at life in a broader context and would often seek a practical solution, like paying compensation, rather than spilling blood.

I forget the reference, but I also believe that if the Druids gave their approval to military action, it was "Katie bar the door" time.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 01 May 2015, 12:19

Thought provoking posts folks. Interesting about the historical context of 'peace'. I suppose that as modern day druids, we have a whole different concept of the term 'peace' and 'peacemaking' as far as druidry goes. I don't know if we still would have such a big involvement in the physical act of 'fighting' - although druids who are in the armed forces may disagree with me.
I certainly agree with the 'pacifist' sentiment.

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 01 May 2015, 13:17

Thought provoking posts folks. Interesting about the historical context of 'peace'. I suppose that as modern day druids, we have a whole different concept of the term 'peace' and 'peacemaking' as far as druidry goes. I don't know if we still would have such a big involvement in the physical act of 'fighting' - although druids who are in the armed forces may disagree with me.
I certainly agree with the 'pacifist' sentiment.
Pacifism and Druidry do go hand-in-hand to an extent, "peace to all beings" so not just peace in terms of human conflict. The prime directive in my understanding. But on the other hand that doesn't mean sitting there wringing one's hands when conflict is forced upon one. A Druid is a rounded human being, wisdom is typically to avoid conflict, but where it is unavoidable also to pragmatically win with the minimum harm done, and that is wisdom too because many people or the world itself may benefit from firm action.

I like the fact that so many Druidic types are martial art enthusiasts (and experts too, some of them). There is a spiritual element to that kind of activity which is rewarding. The possibility of swift and minimalist conflict resolution in unavoidable situations is I feel a part of the path for some. Perhaps that's where the military comes in, although some of the various armed excursions of late have been hard to justify I think. That's politics... we need Druid politicians maybe :) And so to the original question; we do I think mirror some of the qualities of the Druids of history in our attitudes. It will be good when Druidic influence and thinking start to colour world politics. An I am certain that in due course it will.
Sciethe
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

Return to “Discuss Druidry”