Druid Monasticism?

This forum is for discussing all aspects of Druidry as a spiritual path.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Druid Monasticism?

Postby skepticskitchen » 13 Jan 2016, 09:38

Hi All,

I've been a student of monasticism for about 10 years now and was an oblate at a Benedictine Monastery for a while before my deconversion. I've been deeply affected by that. It still holds a special place in my heart, and I would like to incorporate that into my Druidic spirituality. I was thinking of founding a monastic order within OBOD and was wondering what your alls feelings on the subject were.

I've been working on a Druids Liturgy of the Hours for some time now and should have it complete within the next few months. Mainly I am writing it for myself but I thought "how selfish could I be?" So I will publish it somewhere when it is done.

I was thinking that the Monastery could be a blending of Benedictine and Carthusian spirituality adapted for Druidry. The Benedictines have a Rule that has been governing their Monasteries for 1600 years now and the Carthusians don't have Monasteries or Abbots but live in "Charter Houses" with a Prior rather than an Abbot. So, my house could be a Charter House, as could any other members home. I was thinking of keeping the hours; Matins, Vigils, Lauds, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers, and Compline but adapted as a Druid ritual rather than a Catholic ritual and adopting gregorian chant for the prayers.

I am currently rewriting the Rule of Benedict to apply to a Druid Monastery and have plowed through about half of it thus far. The Monastic Order would be open to all 3 grades of OBOD Druidry but if you are an Ovate or Bard, you would have to commit to completing the Druid level before taking the final vows of Non-Attachment, Chastity (not celibacy, but only vowing to keep your sexual activity to an honorable level), and Obedience ( to the Great Spirit, to the rule, to the Prior, to yourself, and to each other).

What do you folks think?
Last edited by skepticskitchen on 14 Jan 2016, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Yours in the Peace of the Grove,
/|\ Colley y Bara

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Re: Druid Monasticism?

Postby Davin Raincloud » 13 Jan 2016, 12:04

I know ADF have a Monastic order.
http://druidkirk.org/monastery/index.html

You should start your own order, and include OBOD members. No need to do it within the OBOD order itself.

Just do it :)

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 13 Jan 2016, 13:59

This is interesting. I may not participate, but it would be interesting to see how it develops. Here's a few things I've seen on the Internet which relate to this subject.

The Ancient Order of Druids in America are affiliated with the Gnostic Celtic Church with clergy of a contemplative kind, including a Rule of Awen.

There's a book on Contemplative Druidry, as well as a Contemplative Druid gathering. Not read the book, and I'm not involed with the books, but it goes to show that there's plenty of interest in something monastic/contemplative for druids. :)

Here's something I wrote some time ago: Money, Sex, Power and Monastic Vows.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 13 Jan 2016, 15:41

You might always find this interesting too about the Culdees or Céli Dé
http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/idr/idr33.htm

It's an interesting subject, I could see myself in a solitary hermitage sometimes but my wife wouldn't be happy.
Treegod thanks for your link, it clarifies that I would struggle with celibacy and obedience and I'm not good when poverty leads to hunger :duck: I think I've always been too much of a 'little heathen' for the monastic life :D , as you say "Meant as a joke but it has left it’s mark in me. You know, jokes that adults make sometimes get taken seriously by unwitting kids."
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 13 Jan 2016, 16:10

I'm not so sure about it. I'm interested to know if this would be connected with OBOD in any way. My reservations are thus, firstly do we need to create dogma to function as druid priest/esses? I'm quite happy with a non dogmatic, non hierarchical approach but I guess living as a hermit has its advantages :-)
Secondly, part of the role of the Druid is that of service to the community. How would this fit into the Druidic concept?

....as for the wearing of a chastity belt.....erm, no! :blink:

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 13 Jan 2016, 17:15

I don't think a Druid Monastic Order would have to be dogmatic. The closest thing to dogma that it would have is the liturgy of the hours, which could be used or not used, changed or adapted according to each Charter House. Like the Carthusians, there would be no abbot, but each Charter House would elect a Prior from amongst themselves to serve a 2 year term. That Prior would be responsible for the administrative running of the Charter House for 2 years. I think the Order would have to be more cenobitic than anchoritic because of Druidry's duty to be of service to the community which a Charter House could fulfill by volunteering at a local soup kitchen or food bank or environmental actions and campaigns. Although a single Monk or Nun in a given city would by definition be anchoritic, however the service to the community duty would still stand. I wouldn't want to take a vow of celibacy, but a vow of chastity (vow not to be gratuitously sexual) I think I could achieve.

I think that the Order could espouse the Benedictine idea of Ora et Labora (work and pray) inasmuch as a monk or nun could work (labora) for their career, work for the monastery, work for the community, and fill the between times with prayer (ora) by praying the hours daily. At each hour there could be a period for silent, personal prayers and thanks. Ideally the hours would be chanted in gregorian style. The Book of Hours I'm working on will have the hours in both Welsh and English. The Daily Reading would be in English, and the Lectio Divina would be in English as well. A place where there were several Monks or Nuns living singly in the same area could get together once a week for communal prayers and thanksgiving, but keep the Hours on their own at their individual homes. It goes without saying that this would be the majority of cases as it would be too difficult or cost prohibitive for all the Monks and Nuns to invest in a single Charter House for them all to live in communally, although that scenario would be best.

The Vow of Non-Attachment takes the place of the vow of poverty. It is OK to have things as long as you are not attached to them. A Vow of Non-Attachment would by definition allow someone to make enough money in their lives to feed and clothe themselves and keep a roof over their head.

I could either form the monastery separately or within OBOD. I think I would like to form it within OBOD as I would like the Monks and Nuns to have committed to the gwersi prior to joining the Monastery and they have completed at least a portion of the Bardic Grade with a commitment to complete the Ovate and Druid Grades as well. There would be no hierarchy other than the Prior who only serves in their position for 2 years. If it is a single Monk or Nun in a given city then no hierarchy would be present. The duties of the Prior would include organizing the weekly get togethers for individual, separately housed Monks or Nuns, maintaining the book of hours used by that particular Monastery, keeping the sacred space that weekly gatherings are held clean and well-kempt be it someones back yard or a clearing of trees in a public park. The Prior would also be responsible for any permits needed for a public ritual.
Last edited by skepticskitchen on 14 Jan 2016, 01:43, edited 2 times in total.
/|\ Colley y Bara

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 13 Jan 2016, 21:42

I don't think a Druid Monastic Order would have to be dogmatic. The closest thing to dogma that it would have is the liturgy of the hours, which could be used or not used, changed or adapted according to each Charter House. Like the Carthusians, there would be no abbot, but each Charter House would elect a Prior from amongst themselves to serve a 2 year term. That Prior would be responsible for the running of the Charter House for 2 years. I think the Order would have to be more cenobitic than anchoritic because of Druidry's duty to be of service to the community which a Charter House could fulfill by volunteering at a local soup kitchen or food bank or environmental actions and campaigns. Although a single Monk or Nun in a given city would by definition be anchoritic, however the service to the community duty would still stand. I wouldn't want to take a vow of celibacy, but a vow of chastity (vow not to be gratuitously sexual) I think I could achieve.

I think that the Order could espouse the Benedictine idea of Ora et Labora (work and pray) inasmuch as a monk or nun could work (labora) for their career, work for the monastery, work for the community, and fill the between times with prayer (ora) by praying the hours daily. At each hour there could be a period for silent, personal prayers and thanks. Ideally the hours would be chanted in gregorian style. The Book of Hours I'm working on will have the hours in both Welsh and English. The Daily Reading would be in English, and the Lectio Divina would be in English as well. A place where there were several Monks or Nuns living singly in the same area could get together once a week for communal prayers and thanksgiving, but keep the Hours on their own at their individual homes. It goes without saying that this would be the majority of cases as it would be too difficult or cost prohibitive for all the Monks and Nuns to invest in a single Charter House for them all to live in communally.

The Vow of Non-Attachment takes the place of the vow of poverty. It is OK to have things as long as you are not attached to them. A Vow of Non-Attachment would by definition allow someone to make enough money in their lives to feed and clothe themselves and keep a roof over their head.

I could either form the monastery separately or within OBOD. I think I would like to form it within OBOD as I would like the Monks and Nuns to have committed to the gwersi prior to joining the Monastery and they have completed at least a portion of the Bardic Grade with a commitment to complete the Ovate and Druid Grades as well. There would be no hierarchy other than the Prior who only serves in their position for 2 years. If it is a single Monk or Nun in a given city then no hierarchy would be present. The duties of the Prior would include organizing the weekly get togethers for individual, separately housed Monks or Nuns, maintaining the book of hours used by that particular Monastery, keeping the sacred space that weekly gatherings are held clean and well-kempt be it someones back yard or a clearing of trees in a public park. The Prior would also be responsible for any permits needed for a public ritual.
I may be at a disadvantage here as a non christian, but in my mind modern OBODery is moving away from a patriarchal model and into something more accessible. On the other hand, OBOD embraces those of all religions and of none, equally. In that sense, yes, I can see your point.

One thing I think that all OBODies and indeed, druids have in common is a strong connection with Nature. For me, as a Pagan it is an inherent part of my spirituality and practise and I feel the need to be outside , immersed in it as much as I possibly can. This bypasses the need for any monastry/temple/church or other such establishment. My aim is to commune directly with the sacred and divine, without the need for an intermediary. This is something that I am exploring through the Druid grade as an offshoot, but definitely inspired by the Gwersi- I'm still working on the course, but am following the many leads that it 'throws off' at the moment.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, skepticskitchen. I will follow this discussion with interest. :shake:

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 13 Jan 2016, 23:37

I agree with you that I feel closer to the divine when outside, and see the Monastic Order as simply a deeper level of commitment to Druidry by praying the Daily Office and praying in communion with other like minded contemplatives. The Daily Office would consist of much prayer and meditation throughout the day at various times with the Monk or Nun striving to pray each Office from Vigils to Compline as best they are able with the most important parts being meditation and Lectio Divina, or Prayerful Reading of selected texts such as Ross Nichols The Book of Druidry, or Contemplative Druidry, or The Barddas, or whatever text is suggested for that day/week. There is a Book of Welsh Proverbs published in the 1880's and available as a facsimile reprint today which could be read like the Psalms that the Benedictines read. The Psalms themselves could be included if one was following a Judeo-Christian Druid path. I find solace in reading the Psalms personally and don't find them conflicting with my Druidic beliefs though I don't follow the Judeo-Christian path any longer. When I was an Oblate of a Benedictine Abbey we would read the entire Book of Psalms in a week, each week.

As for myself I'm somewhat of an agnostic pantheist. I used to consider myself an atheist and functionally operate as an atheist. But now I don't know if there is a God, but if there is, it's in everything. Since I can't prove it either way, I'll just operate as a spiritually-mided non-believer who puts the focus of their meditations to the 4 elements and the awesome power of Nature. I will also use the term "nature" in place of "God" as well. My rituals take place both indoors and out-of-doors and I prefer group ritual to solo ceremonies. Inclement weather or extreme cold sends me inside where it's warm and dry. I feel much closer to the Divine when outside though in a natural forest clearing. When I pray, I pray to "God" or "Great Spirit," and I do it mainly because it feels good to do. Talking to God is something I'm used to that makes me feel comfortable. I have been both Wiccan and Christian as a true believer and now am spiritual, but nonetheless agnostic.

There probably would not be a single location for the headquarters of the Monastic Order, such as aMoastery other than mine or somebody else's home and the Monks and Nuns would live separately in the houses they currently occupy with each house becoming a Charter House (for 2 or more) or Hermitage (for the single Druid). The main body of it would exist electronically online with links to the Book of Hours, Rule of the Order, and there could be a subtopic or subforum for the Monastics, lay Oblates, and curious seekers here on this site. It would operate as a grove or seed group but include a Daily Office and the individual Monk or Nun would agree to pray it to the best of their ability. Not everyone can be up at 6am for Vigils every day. Not everyone who wishes to commit to a contemplative, simple life is capable of pausing their life at 9am for Terce simply because they are driving to drop the kids off at school. You can safely meditate on a topic of Lectio Divina while driving. You can also pray while driving though a spontaneous, topical personal prayer would be safer than trying to read the Liturgy of the Hours while driving. Just turn off your cellphone, maintain focus on the wheel and the road and let your mind wander about on the chosen topic.

As long as several people would pray together at the same time on their own and get together as a group once a week and on the 8 festival days. During the 8 festival days you could just as soon go to your local groves' location and celebrate with other Druids in your area and still get together as a Monastic Contemplative group once a week. But that would mean several Druids living in the same region and could commune with each other once a week without much hassle or long drive times. Many OBODies don't have the privilege of having other like minded folks close enough to visit regularly. I certainly don't but there is a grove nearby me, just north of me that I worship with on the high days, but I do spend large portions of my day in solitary prayer and contemplation and Lectio Divina for 2 hours throughout the day minimum. I'm single, semi retired and self sufficient enough to dedicate more hours per day to the daily office whereas someone with a 9 to5 and skip everything after Terce and not join the other brothers and sisters in common prayer until Vespers.
/|\ Colley y Bara

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 00:02

Hey skeptickitchen,

I think that some people, especially hedge druid sorts, long for a stillness and consecration that is most completely fulfilled by a monastic style vocation rooted in either a cenobitic or anchoritic way of life.

I have been closely associated with the Franciscan Order for about a decade, and would be happy to work with you editing your re-write or acting as a sounding board for ideas that marry Druidry to Monastic tradition.

:seasons:
Yours under the Jack Pines,
nollaig of ottawa
I would gladly send you each draft of the Rule of the Order and Liturgy of the Hours that I write. When I get this first draft of the rewrite of the Rules of Benedict I will certainly send you a copy. The Rules are coming first and the rituals following after.

I have worked with Franciscans when I lived in Arizona. I worked pretty close to them for the purposes of volunteering in their weekly soup kitchen and biweekly food pantry. We would also go out into the desert in southern AZ with satchels filled with bottle water, protein bars, lots of socks, and first aid supplies and look for migrants sneaking in in the desert and giving them food and water as well as first aid for the blisters on their feet.
/|\ Colley y Bara

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 12:55

I'm trying to come up with a name for the Monastic Order. So far I have;

Order of Ceridwen
Monastery of Our Lady of the Oak Grove
Order of Avalon (or Trefyn Afallon in the Cymraeg)
Order of Anglessey (Trefyn Anglessey)

Maybe you folks can help come up with a name. Usually I'm pretty good at naming things, but this time around I'm completely stumped.

I have the first draft of the revised Rule of Benedict, it's 44 pages long and covers every aspect of the Monks or Nuns lifestyle. I would post it up here, but I would have to do it in several posts because there is a 60,000 character limit with this board and the Revised Rule of Benedict is somewhere around 232,000 characters.
/|\ Colley y Bara

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 14 Jan 2016, 13:28

I think this is an excellent idea and well worth the time and effort to develop, and I wish you every success. I will aid in that success by keeping out of doctrinal and organizational discussions.

I believe that every major religion makes space for those who choose to follow a path of renunciation as part of their spiritual growth, and that it would be reasonable for OBOD (and neo-Pagans in general) to include such a choice for adherents.

Blessings...
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 14:32

This is the robe and hood I finally settled on http://www.armorvenue.com/monks-robe-wi ... AvqU8P8HAQ It costs $145 plus shipping but it is 100% cotton which got my attention as I don't like wearing synthetic fibers during rituals and prayers. The price isn't too high and the robe is very sturdy and should hold up for years. I wear it with either a black leather medieval long belt or with a rope cincture. The color is listed as "off-white" but it's white enough for me.

If I still had a sewing machine I probably could have made this robe on my own for less than half the cost at Armor Venue
Last edited by skepticskitchen on 14 Jan 2016, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
/|\ Colley y Bara

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 15:21

There is a pagan group based on the God Asphodel that has written a Pagan Book of the Hours http://www.paganbookofhours.org/hours.html but they have a LOT of prayers throughout the day. I would only keep 8 of those hours with Matins, Vigils, Lauds, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers, and Compline which are the traditional Benedictine hours. Itfits quite nicely as there 8 high Holy days in Druidry, and that is likewise reflected in the Daily Office. Matins takes place at 3am so a lot of folks wouldn't be able to keep that up, but a few would I'm sure. Matins only takes about 10 minutes to pray so I just set an alarm to wake me at 3, do Matins, and go back to bed until Vigils. Then Vigils at 6am, Lauds at 7:30am, Terce at 9am, Sext at noon, None at 3pm, Vespers at 6pm and finally Compline at 8pm, in bed by 9:30pm. Each office should take less than 15 minutes to complete. For those who really wish to dedicate yourself to a Monastic lifestyle you could go silent from Compline and remain silent until Lauds the next morning. Practicing silence is one of the more powerful forms of meditation. It also helps teach you how to listen...really listen. I've found that I learn quite a bit during my nightly silence.

For my Book of the Hours I'm using "Benedictine Daily Prayer; A Short Breviary" as the base and adapting those offices to a Druidic framework. I'll also adapt the rituals in The Benedictine Handbook for Druidry as well.

I think the Benedictine Daily Office is a very powerful prayer/ritual when several people are doing it at the same time. For instance we would more likely affect the weather if we all focused on weather during the Hours than if it were just one person praying on their own. A lot of the Daily Office rituals have their origins in Paganism so it's not a far reach to lean over and "borrow it back." The chanting of the psalter has its roots in Jewish Cabala Mysticism.
/|\ Colley y Bara

malcolmb
OBOD Ovate

Postby malcolmb » 14 Jan 2016, 16:59

I wonder if I am alone in finding the whole concept of monastic Druids rather odd? And I am also alone in spluttering my coffee when reading that such a Druid order would be Patriarchal? As one who has no time for deity and considers the greatest failure of modern (non-Pagan) beliefs to be the absence of the feminine, such an order seems to be the anathema of Druidry as I see it. Above all, I honour and respect our Mother the Earth. And she is most definitely feminine!

Of course, diversity rules! And if anyone finds meaning in such activity, that's fine. I also fully recognise the power and purpose of solitary Druidry and can easily see why people would choose that path even to the extent of becoming a hermit. Living alone in deep communion with the Natural World must bring a vast depth of understanding and intense personal meaning to a person's Druidry. But I do not see that you need a monk's robe, daily offices or book of hours for such Druidry. You just need to open yourself to Nature, to look, listen, experience. Be at one with it. At least to me, Druidry is about recognition that we are a small part of a wondrous creation called the Natural World and experiencing and celebrating all that Nature and Life has to offer. Again at least for me, I see Rule and monastic life as a hindrance to such joy.

So I will watch with interest to see how this monastic Druid concept develops. But most certainly have no interest in being part of it.
Isle of Wight Peaceful Earth Grove: https://www.peacefulearthgrove.com/
Isle of Wight Order of Druids: https://peacefulearthgrove.com/Wight-Or ... Druids.php

My original "Druid Music" CDs (all proceeds to the charity "Pagan Aid":
https://lylemusic.bandcamp.com/

My original Celtic / Folk / Jazz music at:
http://www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
http://www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
http://www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic

“So many Gods, so many creeds, so many paths that wind and wind. While just the art of being kind, is all the sad world needs.” Ella Wheeler Wilcox

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 14 Jan 2016, 19:59

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 20:31

I wonder if I am alone in finding the whole concept of monastic Druids rather odd? And I am also alone in spluttering my coffee when reading that such a Druid order would be Patriarchal? As one who has no time for deity and considers the greatest failure of modern (non-Pagan) beliefs to be the absence of the feminine, such an order seems to be the anathema of Druidry as I see it. Above all, I honour and respect our Mother the Earth. And she is most definitely feminine!

Of course, diversity rules! And if anyone finds meaning in such activity, that's fine. I also fully recognise the power and purpose of solitary Druidry and can easily see why people would choose that path even to the extent of becoming a hermit. Living alone in deep communion with the Natural World must bring a vast depth of understanding and intense personal meaning to a person's Druidry. But I do not see that you need a monk's robe, daily offices or book of hours for such Druidry. You just need to open yourself to Nature, to look, listen, experience. Be at one with it. At least to me, Druidry is about recognition that we are a small part of a wondrous creation called the Natural World and experiencing and celebrating all that Nature and Life has to offer. Again at least for me, I see Rule and monastic life as a hindrance to such joy.

So I will watch with interest to see how this monastic Druid concept develops. But most certainly have no interest in being part of it.
I don't know who put the patiarchy label on my idea, but it most certainly would NOT be patriarchal and would admit women and men equally, they would have equal standing in the Grove and there will be female Priors as well as male Priors

I would not want to be a part of a patriarchal group as I don't have time for misogyny. Someone is planting thoughts in your brain about my idea that don't mesh with reality.
/|\ Colley y Bara

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 20:55

I'm not so sure about it. I'm interested to know if this would be connected with OBOD in any way. My reservations are thus, firstly do we need to create dogma to function as druid priest/esses? I'm quite happy with a non dogmatic, non hierarchical approach but I guess living as a hermit has its advantages :-)
Secondly, part of the role of the Druid is that of service to the community. How would this fit into the Druidic concept?

....as for the wearing of a chastity belt.....erm, no! :blink:
The Order would create no dogma and there are no priests and priestesses. The Order would be non-hierarchical inaasmuch as there would be a Prior instead of an Abbot. The Abbot is on a hierarchy, and the Prior would simply be the face of their Charter House but standing at equal level with each other. The Prior would be elected from the Druid Community in your region and would only serve a term of two years. In that time the Prior could be interviewed for the media if it came up.

There would be no vow of celibacy so no chastity belts or celiches. Only a vow of sexual responsibility, non-attachment, and obedience.
/|\ Colley y Bara

malcolmb
OBOD Ovate

Postby malcolmb » 14 Jan 2016, 21:49

skepticskitchen - to be fair, the "patriarchal" word was not used by you but you will find it in this thread in other people's comments before mine. Perhaps it is simply my knowledge of history in which male dominance was and largely remains traditional in all locations of Christian and other Abrahamic worship. Reading your comments and your use of titles for a Christian monastic hierarchy seemed to me to suggest the continuance of that tradition. I am pleased to see your assurance that it is not the case. As for things being put in my brain which may be at odds with reality, that is a facet of everyday life for anyone who accesses the internet or the media. There really are some weird and extraordinary ideas around.
Isle of Wight Order of Druids: https://peacefulearthgrove.com/Wight-Or ... Druids.php

“So many Gods, so many creeds, so many paths that wind and wind. While just the art of being kind, is all the sad world needs.” Ella Wheeler Wilcox

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 14 Jan 2016, 22:05

skepticskitchen - to be fair, the "patriarchal" word was not used by you but you will find it in this thread in other people's comments before mine. Perhaps it is simply my knowledge of history in which male dominance was and largely remains traditional in all locations of Christian and other Abrahamic worship. Reading your comments and your use of titles for a Christian monastic hierarchy seemed to me to suggest the continuance of that tradition. I am pleased to see your assurance that it is not the case. As for things being put in my brain which may be at odds with reality, that is a facet of everyday life for anyone who accesses the internet or the media. There really are some weird and extraordinary ideas around.
Paleo-Druids were essentially monks and had dedicated their entire lives to the service of Druidry. The Catholic Christian faith came across what we now call monasticism and adopted the style, and livelihood from a preexisting pagan model in the 3rd Century AD. Benedict wrote his original rule in 724AD I''m just taking back what was taken before. In that, it is not continuing the Christian patriarchal hierarchies. Creative reallocation. There is no hierarchy implied in my idea. All are equal to each other with no leader. Each Charter House or Hermitage could either use the Liturgy of the Hours that I adapted from the Benedictine hours, or they could make up their own horarium and follow it and still be members of the Order. I, for instance, will never be the leader of the Order. The most I can hope for is a turn at being Prior of a Charter House for 2 years.

Though this is my idea, once it is fully fleshed out on paper, and it's going under its own steam, I will melt into the background and let the Order steer itself so as to prevent the formation of a personality cult which is anathema to contemplative Monasticism. I simply wish to be a Monk and would like to sing the Gorsedd Prayer in Welsh in gregorian chant style.

That allows for individual anchorites and hedge Druids to adapt the rule or portions of it into their own practice. It allows for the creative inspiration of the individual and an outlet for the creative bursts of Awen.
/|\ Colley y Bara

malcolmb
OBOD Ovate

Postby malcolmb » 15 Jan 2016, 12:28

Paleo-Druids were essentially monks and had dedicated their entire lives to the service of Druidry. The Catholic Christian faith came across what we now call monasticism and adopted the style, and livelihood from a preexisting pagan model in the 3rd Century AD.
Interesting. There are those who believe Druidry survived the Roman extermination although as far as I am aware, the historical proof is limited and may be open to question. I am also aware there are those who see the roots of Christian monasticism in Elijah, John the Baptist and Jesus's struggle with the Devil in the desert rather than a Celtic priesthood. Certainly, there seems to me to be a stronger influence on the initial development of early Christianity in all its forms from non-Christian Mediterranean and Middle Eastern religious influences and practices rather than Celtic. So I would be most interested in the historical justification for your above statement.

Return to “Discuss Druidry”