Tarot creation

Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Alijay
OBOD Druid

Tarot creation

Postby Alijay » 13 Aug 2008, 23:36

How many of you have made your own decks, Started to,Want to, or plan to??

Iam just about to start, I have brushes, paints, and a few ideas!
This idea of making my own has been with me for ages now,
One problem i think i will face is sticking to one theme, as i have a few fool ideas,
Think i will just start to paint and see what happens,

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Re: Tarot creation

Postby Snægl » 14 Aug 2008, 02:14

It's funny that you should post about this, as just today (after being fed up with yet another cheesily executed deck) I was thinking about trying to make my own. The only problem is I can't paint or draw well enough to suit myself! :duck:

Now, if I could somehow make a deck out of clay, I'd be all set! I can't wait to see what you come up with. :grin:
Forþan bið andgit æghwær selest ferðes foreþanc. :zen:
Therefore, in every respect understanding is best, and deliberation of spirit.
-- Beowulf 1059–1060
ImageImageThe Druid's Well Blog

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 14 Aug 2008, 06:19

I`ve been thinking about making my own deck, but I don`t think it will be quite yet.

I`m planning to take photographs out in the nature and make a Norwegian Nature deck.

Paul Mitchell

Postby Paul Mitchell » 14 Aug 2008, 07:08

A few years ago a regular gathering of people in the New Forest (UK) mad a deck of cards as a gift for a group members. Each person took on the design of anything from one to ten cards, depending on their ability to deliver. Each chose the card at random.

I wasn't involved but was told the tale by some of those involved. It was a relatively long term project (8 months, I think, to allow for printing), and a nightmare to coordinate. However, some of the cards hold very special stories of illumination, and all are designed with love.

An interesting project. Anyone fancy dong a "Druids Head" tarot deck? :D

paul
Check out http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/ragingpagan
or... if you like your English Folk locked and loaded.. http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/madmagdalen

Alijay
OBOD Druid

Postby Alijay » 14 Aug 2008, 15:03

It's funny that you should post about this, as just today (after being fed up with yet another cheesily executed deck) I was thinking about trying to make my own. The only problem is I can't paint or draw well enough to suit myself! :duck:

Now, if I could somehow make a deck out of clay, I'd be all set! I can't wait to see what you come up with. :grin:
Hello Aichmetes, I see by your avatar you like thoth, the Star and the Death are my favorite two, full of movement and life,
I dont think you have to be good at drawing or painting to make a deck of tarot cards, I mean if you take a close look at the thoth cards from a drawing angle, there are many that are so simple,
and no disrespect to The Rider Waite deck but pamela colman smith is not great artist,
Less is more, and keeping it simple can say much more,
Iam going more for thoth as i dont want a RW clone,
A few years ago a regular gathering of people in the New Forest (UK) mad a deck of cards as a gift for a group members. Each person took on the design of anything from one to ten cards, depending on their ability to deliver. Each chose the card at random.

I wasn't involved but was told the tale by some of those involved. It was a relatively long term project (8 months, I think, to allow for printing), and a nightmare to coordinate. However, some of the cards hold very special stories of illumination, and all are designed with love.

An interesting project. Anyone fancy dong a "Druids Head" tarot deck? :D

paul
Hello paul, I like that idea, The Druids head Tarot, mmmm go on then start the ball rolling!! :o

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Postby Snægl » 14 Aug 2008, 16:10

Hello Aichmetes, I see by your avatar you like thoth, the Star and the Death are my favorite two, full of movement and life.
Yeah, that's why I like them, too! But I think the thing I love the most about the deck is how evocative the color schemes are. They sink right into my subconscious without any effort at all.
I dont think you have to be good at drawing or painting to make a deck of tarot cards, I mean if you take a close look at the thoth cards from a drawing angle, there are many that are so simple, and no disrespect to The Rider Waite deck but pamela colman smith is not great artist, Less is more, and keeping it simple can say much more.
Very good point. Well, in the grand tradition of the Bardic grade, I guess we should all just start playing and see what happens!
Anyone fancy dong a "Druids Head" tarot deck? :D
Wow! That could be a really neat project! I'm interested for sure. Maybe we could start a separate thread for people to upload original art/photography/etc. into?

Grin,
Cat
-- Beowulf 1059–1060

Paul Mitchell

Postby Paul Mitchell » 14 Aug 2008, 17:35

Hey, I'm away for a while, so if you all want to get started then feel free!
Check out http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/ragingpagan
or... if you like your English Folk locked and loaded.. http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/madmagdalen

Ade Sundog
OBOD Ovate

Postby Ade Sundog » 15 Aug 2008, 19:47

:shake: I think that this is a brilliant idea , anyone got any idea of how it could be done?
:sun:

Og - Ha - Be

Make Tea Not War :greenpeace:

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Postby Snægl » 15 Aug 2008, 20:27

I guess my standard inclination is to develop a set of specifications for a standard size and resolution of the finished pictures. The DruidCraft and Thoth tarots are 3.75" x 5.5" (9.5 x 14 cm), which I personally find to be a good compromise between picture-size and ease-of-handling.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about pixels & resolution and such, so if someone could lend a hand in that department, I'd be much obliged!

Grin,
Cat
-- Beowulf 1059–1060

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 16 Aug 2008, 11:26

Hi Aichmetes.

You can definitely make a tarot out of clay. You just photograph your creations and there you have your cards. I have a tarot that is photographs of tapestry a woman made.

I'd love to join in if this joint tarot project gets off the ground.

[Hi, alijay love. :hiya: ]

Turtle
Location: Here and there and everywhere - fancy coming along?

Postby Turtle » 16 Aug 2008, 15:51

Have you tried photography or collage?

Turtle

ennys
OBOD Bard

Postby ennys » 16 Aug 2008, 19:55

A druid's head tarot! That sounds like an awesome project :grin:
Dancing to the music of the Web
Etre ar mor hag an neñv hag an douar

Alijay
OBOD Druid

Postby Alijay » 16 Aug 2008, 21:04

:shake: I think that this is a brilliant idea , anyone got any idea of how it could be done?
Well I think :???: Start with the Major's and anyone who wants to join can pick a card they want to do!
For me The Hermit or The Star.

I will pop over to the Aeclectic tarot forum and see how they do it, They do this sort of group thing every year,
I will get the info needed and be right back :wink:

Hello Baobab :hiya:

ennys
OBOD Bard

Postby ennys » 16 Aug 2008, 21:45

The hermit and the star! Those are awesome cards, I am quite fond of the Hermit, too!

I'd like to do Measure, which is the Fferyllt in the DCT, if I may...
I also like the card of the world very much, but I guess that's a hard card tro do, and others are maybe better qualified :)

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 16 Aug 2008, 22:17

Please can I have the Temperance?

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Postby Bracken » 16 Aug 2008, 22:20

Oh crikey! I think I might be stepping on ennys's toes there. Is the Measure the Temperance? Ok. Could I have the WORLD?

Alijay, it looks like you've got yourself the dream project. :)

ennys
OBOD Bard

Postby ennys » 17 Aug 2008, 06:51

My toes aren't hurt ;-)

Interesting, indeed, that we pick the same cards!
Maybe we share some personal traits or so?

ennys

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 17 Aug 2008, 10:28

I've thought about it and gave up the idea becasue of technical problems: durable cards.

There are special papers you can use to print cards, similar to business card paper. They have tear lines to break the sheets apart into individual cards after printing.
But the print (inkjet or color laser) won't last (think shuffling).

Laminating is also problematic because your card stack will get huge and the print tends to fade into the laminate after a couple years.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Alijay
OBOD Druid

Postby Alijay » 17 Aug 2008, 11:23

If its ok with everyone and the Mods, I will start another thread
The Druid head's Tarot creation.
and list the majors with the name of who is make it next to it,
can't see us getting 22 people on board so if anyone wants to do 2 it should be ok,
:D this is very exciting :yay:

Do you think its worth giving a shout in the pub or the art and craft sections about this project??

Ade Sundog
OBOD Ovate

Postby Ade Sundog » 17 Aug 2008, 12:23

Knowing nothing much about Tarot , i will have a go at any thing , should be a good way of learning . :)
:sun:

Og - Ha - Be

Make Tea Not War :greenpeace:

Return to “DHP Tarot Creation Group”