What are you afraid of?

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
djinn

Re: What are you afraid of?

Post by djinn » 17 Dec 2008, 22:21

That is a big thing yeah, getting betrayed by someone you thought you were safe with!

BUT... why would anyone want to betray you? There are a lot of reasons for betrayal and a lot of ways to betray someone, but why? Is there anything to gain?

And don't you think it is just as scary for the other one to open up to you?
Image Image

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 18 Dec 2008, 00:03

Sure it would be scary for both people. I tend to trust too easily, so I blunder into relationships full tilt boogie, not bothering to be afraid until everything is totally screwed up. I don't know if trust is my issue or not; I think I fear that my basic personality is too flawed to maintain anything lasting. The evidence has proved this to be true! :grin:

Betrayal probably comes in degrees. There is outright cheating and lying, and then there are the small betrayals of witheld information or finally seeing someone clearly (as opposed to the idealized version). Either way, there is that feeling of having been betrayed in some way.
"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Post by Zylah » 18 Dec 2008, 00:59

I agree, Tao - intimacy can be terrifying. I usually find I can't help myself to a degree, because I absolutely love people. I don't know why, I just can't seem to maintain a cool reserve with anyone who is either friendly or obviously wounded. It's very, very rare for me to take a dislike to anyone, and I'm totally gullible and naive.

For this reason, there are things in me, deep reserves of love, that I thought I successfully suffocated long ago. It's much safer to be incapable of loving someone so deeply they can shatter your heart into thousands of tiny shards that all pierce one another every time you move; I found this out when my first love killed himself. I heard about it, went to my room, wrote a poem, vomited until I passed out, and woke up in a hospital with a nervous breakdown. I didn't touch poetry for twelve years after that.

What I find truly terrifying is that I discovered fairly recently that I hadn't managed to kill anything, only put it into a deep sleep. Someone woke it up, and that's more frightening than anything else I know of, for what is dead feels no pain; and sure enough, the situation as it now stands is extremely painful.

It is the same on a slightly different plane with children: the ferocity and intensity of maternal love is terrifying. I almost lost my son to a systemic infection and a collapsed lung right after a premature birth; I died by inches, it felt like, until he was out of danger.

So I guess what I'm really afraid of most is pain.

And spiders. Seriously. It sounds idiotic, but I'm deadly serious.
Where the forest murmurs there is music: ancient, everlasting.
- Fiona MacLeod

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Tao of Pooh
OBOD Bard

Post by Tao of Pooh » 18 Dec 2008, 18:26

Zylah wrote:I agree, Tao - intimacy can be terrifying. I usually find I can't help myself to a degree, because I absolutely love people. I don't know why, I just can't seem to maintain a cool reserve with anyone who is either friendly or obviously wounded. It's very, very rare for me to take a dislike to anyone, and I'm totally gullible and naive.

For this reason, there are things in me, deep reserves of love, that I thought I successfully suffocated long ago. It's much safer to be incapable of loving someone so deeply they can shatter your heart into thousands of tiny shards that all pierce one another every time you move; I found this out when my first love killed himself. I heard about it, went to my room, wrote a poem, vomited until I passed out, and woke up in a hospital with a nervous breakdown. I didn't touch poetry for twelve years after that.

What I find truly terrifying is that I discovered fairly recently that I hadn't managed to kill anything, only put it into a deep sleep. Someone woke it up, and that's more frightening than anything else I know of, for what is dead feels no pain; and sure enough, the situation as it now stands is extremely painful.

It is the same on a slightly different plane with children: the ferocity and intensity of maternal love is terrifying. I almost lost my son to a systemic infection and a collapsed lung right after a premature birth; I died by inches, it felt like, until he was out of danger.

So I guess what I'm really afraid of most is pain.

And spiders. Seriously. It sounds idiotic, but I'm deadly serious.
I totally agree about the spiders! Image Image
ImageImage Roads are meant for journeys, not destinations.

Tao of Pooh
OBOD Bard

Post by Tao of Pooh » 20 Dec 2008, 17:42

Another thing I'm afraid of...losing my job. One time I lost my job & couldn't find another one so I ended up losing my car & my home as well. That's a very real, scary thing for me.

BTW: I got fired yesterday. No warning, no reason given.

Merry eff'g Christmas y'all.

Aelfarh
OBOD Bard

Post by Aelfarh » 23 Dec 2008, 21:02

Not trusting anybody after such an experience is therefore akin to not wanting to get addicted again, and THAT is an understandable thought, isn't it?
I think we can't stop doing things because fear of feel pain, if we behave like that, we hardly even learn to walk. There's a difference between not trusting anybody and being caution about.

I also think that love is more than a simple hormone adiction, I go with Fromm in making a distinction between being in love and to love.
Bennacht Dé ocus ainDé fort!
(The blessings of the gods and the non-gods upon you!)

http://al-tirnanog.blogspot.com/
http://www.losceltas.org

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no
idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to
comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos"

Image Speaker's Corner February 2009

Tao of Pooh
OBOD Bard

Post by Tao of Pooh » 24 Dec 2008, 16:41

"Trust" & "Opinion" are not the same things to me. You give someone your trust, you don't give them their opinion. they may be related but it's not the same.

I trusted my employer if I did my job well I would continue to have a job.
I trusted my brother not to rob me.
I trusted my lover not to cheat.

Nathair Mac Brighit

Post by Nathair Mac Brighit » 25 Dec 2008, 15:07

I'm afraid to be not able to hear my interior child's voice.
And I pray every day to energize him, to cuddle him...

^^
May Brighit protect our little child inside us.

Nathair
Beo fada Is Bas in Eirinn

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 28 Dec 2008, 23:17

"In love" is easy! Truly loving is really hard and involves a lot more risk. I'm with you , Aelfarh.

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

illion
OBOD Ovate

Post by illion » 29 Dec 2008, 09:37

I am afraid of the Rota-virus :gulp:

Illion
:paw:
Image Image

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 29 Dec 2008, 22:18

...and the bird flu, SARS, MRSA, E Coli, etc. It's a bacterial zoo out there!

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Post by DJ Droood » 30 Dec 2008, 02:23

The "readjustment" period that will follow The Collapse.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Corvin

Post by Corvin » 31 Dec 2008, 06:49

Twig wrote:Seriously. It is so tempting to post an amusing answer, but I'm after your Big Fear. And also if you think you can do something about it.

So, here goes:

i am afraid of being abandoned in a nursing home. And I have no idea what I can do about it.

Next!
I'm afraid you are correct... For lots of us this seems the way. Great insight. i recommend being nice to ones children (if one has them), having meaningful friendships, living an honest and good life. We all have a one way ticket as far as i can tell... The moment of passing comes... We all look back...

Corvin

Post by Corvin » 31 Dec 2008, 07:06

Twig wrote:Well, abandonment and pain are high on the list. Plus, I have known people who have the fear of certain animals, like whales, spiders, etc. I even have a friend who will not travel to California because she has recurring dreams of tsunamis. That is sort of like greygnomes fear of causing an accident -- the fear of something happening in a certain place. I don't think these are weird fears at all because they are real to the person having them.

You can always spot the parents -- they fear something happening to their children. Having known someone who is living through the loss of a son, I can totally understand that one. It is a huge, overwhelming fear.

Fear is a strange beast. Ignore it, and it shows up to bite you in the arse, anyway. Try to conquer it, and you usually lose. I guess we just have to "Zen" it -- be aware and just watch. Oh, sure. I can do it! :grin:

I agree with the fear of the world becoming totalitarian and having the greed heads in charge. But it isn't as "personal" of a fear, although it certainly could be if things get really nuts.
Would you blame me if i dislike the idea (not fear per say) of coming back here?

Corvin

Post by Corvin » 31 Dec 2008, 07:21

DJ Droood wrote:The "readjustment" period that will follow The Collapse.
Appreciate the honesty.
Do not worry. He who dares wins...
If you don't you must find those who will...
And be able to reward them...
Fear can be your friend also...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Vw402IaII 2:50

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 31 Dec 2008, 07:54

My first Motorhead experience, Corvin. Thanks for reassuring me that nihilism is still alive and well! :grin: I thought we had killed it in the 60's.

Stated (much) earlier by Hank Williams:

No matter how we struggle and strive,
We'll never get out of this world alive.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Post by DJ Droood » 31 Dec 2008, 14:23

Twig wrote:My first Motorhead experience, Corvin.
Motorhead understands our issues:
I am the one, orgasmatron, the outstretched grasping hand
My image is of agony, my servants rape the land
Obsequious and arrogant, clandestine and vain
Two thousand years of misery, of torture in my name
Hypocrisy made paramount, paranoia the law
My name is called religion, sadistic, sacred whore.

I twist the truth, I rule the world, my crown is called deceit
I am the emperor of lies, you grovel at my feet
I rob you and I slaughter you, your downfall is my gain
And still you play the sycophant and revel in you pain
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician, and I decide your fate

I march before a martyred world, an army for the fight
I speak of great heroic days, of victory and might
I hold a banner drenched in blood, I urge you to be brave
I lead you to your destiny, I lead you to your grave
Your bones will build my palaces, your eyes will stud my crown
For I am mars, the God of war, and I will cut you down.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 01 Jan 2009, 00:28

Wow, what is the name of that song? That's a powerful piece of writing...

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Post by DJ Droood » 01 Jan 2009, 00:31

Twig wrote:Wow, what is the name of that song? That's a powerful piece of writing...
It is the unfortunately named "Orgasmatron".
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Post by Zylah » 01 Jan 2009, 03:25

DJ Droood wrote:
Twig wrote:Wow, what is the name of that song? That's a powerful piece of writing...
It is the unfortunately named "Orgasmatron".
:-) Wooo-hooo! LOL. That is a great song, though.
Where the forest murmurs there is music: ancient, everlasting.
- Fiona MacLeod

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Return to “The Common Quest”