What are you afraid of?

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate
Location: Avalon...upon my Dragon, journeying to Anglesey and the Isle of Merlyn

Re: What are you afraid of?

Post by Lady Nimue » 12 Jan 2008, 02:22

While I understand pride, fer-doirich ...I dont understand being afraid of losing a culture you love. If it is a pa of you, then perhaps it will live thru you. Personally, I am more afraid of more division within the human race.
Yes, that is something I fear.....that our species will continue o focus upon our differences, and in doing so cause the extinction of true human value. Perhaps the wise would enjoy their personal heritage, ad more importantly, being part of the whole of humanity, which IMO is a richer experience.
Lady Nimue-
Guardian of "MERLYN'S GROVE AT AVALON GLYN"...... a Certified OBOD Sacred Grove and Certified National Wildlife Refuge.
"I Walk with the Animals"

ImageImageImageImagegive vegitarianism a try!

fer-doirich

Post by fer-doirich » 12 Jan 2008, 02:38

Lady Nimue wrote:While I understand pride, fer-doirich ...I dont understand being afraid of losing a culture you love. If it is a pa of you, then perhaps it will live thru you. Personally, I am more afraid of more division within the human race.
Yes, that is something I fear.....that our species will continue o focus upon our differences, and in doing so cause the extinction of true human value. Perhaps the wise would enjoy their personal heritage, ad more importantly, being part of the whole of humanity, which IMO is a richer experience.
I look back over the past 2000 years and consider what has been lost and what has been gained by this thing called diversity; where our culture, our people were before the intrusion of the Romans and the Christians, and the others who came after them; and I cannot see how what we have gained by all that balances out what we have lost as a people.

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 12 Jan 2008, 02:42

Well, abandonment and pain are high on the list. Plus, I have known people who have the fear of certain animals, like whales, spiders, etc. I even have a friend who will not travel to California because she has recurring dreams of tsunamis. That is sort of like greygnomes fear of causing an accident -- the fear of something happening in a certain place. I don't think these are weird fears at all because they are real to the person having them.

You can always spot the parents -- they fear something happening to their children. Having known someone who is living through the loss of a son, I can totally understand that one. It is a huge, overwhelming fear.

Fear is a strange beast. Ignore it, and it shows up to bite you in the arse, anyway. Try to conquer it, and you usually lose. I guess we just have to "Zen" it -- be aware and just watch. Oh, sure. I can do it! :grin:

I agree with the fear of the world becoming totalitarian and having the greed heads in charge. But it isn't as "personal" of a fear, although it certainly could be if things get really nuts.
"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Post by Jingle » 12 Jan 2008, 03:19

I am afraid of not being able to provide for my family. I get very stressed out when the bills come and there is not enough money in the bank to pay them.

I am afraid of losing my independence, but I am also afraid of being alone. My husband does the things I can't do physically, so that I can continue to be independent in the things that I can do. I don't know if that makes sense. I am not afraid of a nursing home, and fully expect to spend the rest of my life in one if my husband pre-deceases me.

I am afraid that my father will die before I get my bachelor's degree (something that I am now working on after a 25 year hiatus)
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Post by Dysgwr » 12 Jan 2008, 15:56

Jingle wrote:I am afraid of not being able to provide for my family. I get very stressed out when the bills come and there is not enough money in the bank to pay them.
I was going to add that too, to my previous post. I decided against it so I wouldn't appear completely neurotic :oops:

But I think its only a normal thing to be anxious about family life and protecting our own.

I think that there are fears that can be faced up to and conquered, such as those that are sometimes known as irrational or illogical fears (hights, spiders etc) - although to the affected person they are very "real".

But there are other fears that have to be lived with - fear of dying can not really be conquered its going to happen sooner or (I hope) much later.

I do like this topic because, like some of the Gwers, it makes us start to think about things we'd probably rather not think about.
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate
Location: Avalon...upon my Dragon, journeying to Anglesey and the Isle of Merlyn

Post by Lady Nimue » 12 Jan 2008, 16:32

Well fer-doirich, IMO thats something that you may wish to meditate upon. Perhaps that is one of he lessons this lifetime is meant to bring to you.
I will suggest again that pride in one's heritage is stellar....except when it contributes to feelings of superiority and is a vehicle toward alienating oneself from the Whole.
As a Druid, I have great pride, and that leads me to interpreting my Ancestors lessons, in a light that brings understanding and unity.
Lady Nimue-
Guardian of "MERLYN'S GROVE AT AVALON GLYN"...... a Certified OBOD Sacred Grove and Certified National Wildlife Refuge.
"I Walk with the Animals"

ImageImageImageImagegive vegitarianism a try!

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 12 Jan 2008, 22:49

Panoramix:

I think you're right -- there are some fears which lend themselves more to being conquered, although even those could be broken down into categories of "least likely" to be overcome and "most likely" to be overcome.

For example, the spider thing might be worked out with aversion therapy, but what if the person so afflicted has no money for therapy (a big problem in the US), has no faith in therapy, or lives in a remote area without access to help? It's a gray area, I guess, but if one has the opportunity to be pro-active, then I suppose "Zenning" a fear would just be an "acceptable" method of avoidance.

And then there are those universal fears you mentioned -- like dying, etc. It's not the dying, it's the death, right? And, of course, those taxes -- where will the money come from? Sometimes you can do something about that, and sometimes you can't.

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Post by Jingle » 12 Jan 2008, 23:45

Panoramix wrote:
Jingle wrote:I am afraid of not being able to provide for my family. I get very stressed out when the bills come and there is not enough money in the bank to pay them.
I was going to add that too, to my previous post. I decided against it so I wouldn't appear completely neurotic :oops:
Are you saying I'm completely neurotic? :grin: :o :grin:

I have found that facing other so-called irrational fears can sometimes be handled by facing them. However, I don't believe that there are many "irrational" fears. There is nothing irrational about being afraid of falling from a height. If you do, you die. (I overcame this one by going rappelling down a cliff). Spiders - there are poisonous ones out there, again not really irrational to be afraid of them. Fear of whales? Not at all irrational, especially if you were brought up to believe in the Jonah story or ever saw Pinocchio... (my daughter, almost 18, is still afraid of this whale and won't go on the Story Book Land ride at Disney land without much coaxing and covering of the eyes).

The problem is not so much that we have fears, but how we learn to cope with the fears.
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

honor_your_life

Post by honor_your_life » 13 Jan 2008, 01:13

Uses me as an example :boggle: Haha.
I Am The Shaman, I am the voice of the wilderness, the guide of all spirits, enter my realm and never leave.

"You don't have to be old to be wise"-Judas Priest

Honor your life.

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Post by Dysgwr » 13 Jan 2008, 15:59

Jingle wrote:Are you saying I'm completely neurotic?
Not at all :oops:. Sorry, I think my comment came over the wrong way. I meant that I didn't want to add another fear to my long list incase I came over as being completely neurotic

And when I said irrational I was quoting another person's take on fears - not my own. For example to someone who likes and keeps spiders (oh why to they keep cropping up) it is "irrational" (out of the range of their comprehension) that someone maybe afraid of them.

And Twig, yes you're right of course, that while recognising the fear is one thing getting the necessary help to over come it, where possible, is not always an easy task.
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Post by Donata » 13 Jan 2008, 20:37

I have a fear I don't even want to look at :o

I fear Alzheimer's as I get older. How horrible to really lose one's mind! Though I firmly believe 'use it or lose it'.

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 14 Jan 2008, 07:53

I think the thing about what we all fear is that it's usually something we have absolutely no control over. So, then it all comes back to having something akin to, for lack of a better word, "faith" -- whatever you believe in when you come up against the Big Fear.

Somehow, we have to figure out for ourselves what that is. And then be able to give our fears over to it.

Sometimes I can pull it off, but basically, I'm not there yet! How about y'all?

And, please. If I get Alzheimer's, some one euthanize me!!

SilverStorm

Post by SilverStorm » 14 Jan 2008, 08:25

Twig it is not nice to make me think this hard this early in the morning.

I have a serious fear of spiders due to allergy reasons. I also have a completely irrational fear of bees/wasps. Not sure why but they cause a reaction close to panic.

I am not afraid of death, but I am afraid to die of something such as cancer. Horribly painful, can be pretty protracted, and the treatment is almost as bad as the diease.
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.  Kahlil Gibran

My Ancestry: Image  ImageImage

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Post by Aylyn » 14 Jan 2008, 10:55

Twig wrote:And, please. If I get Alzheimer's, some one euthanize me!!
I don't know, I thin k Alzheimers is a lot harder on the people around than on the person having it. I have the feeling I think too much, I am an overthinker and analyzer - it would be so great to stop occasionally :???:

As for the "Use it or lose it" - there is a study that says Alzheimers hits intelligent people harder, because they have better coping mechanism and can therefore function without help a lot longer, so that the disease progresses faster. If I am going to have it, there is nothing I can do about it....

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Kernos
OBOD Druid

Post by Kernos » 14 Jan 2008, 19:11

Hmmmm, Fear... I spend more time dealing with anxiety than fear. I guess my most disabling fear is my fear of anxiety as it results in anxiety and thus the Vicious Circle. :ouroboros:

Like most baby boomer's I fear dementia. Many of us have seen our parents or grandparents with what they called senility. The 2 biggies, AYK, are multi-infarct dementia and Alzheimer's. This fear is underscored by my seemingly increasing inability fining words I need.

But I think my greatest fear is that this is all there is. One is born , lives a few decades and dies and that is all. From dust to dust period. Nothing more. Nihilistic.

I think an interesting related question is, "What are you angry at?".

:old:
ImageImageImageHelp I'm Falling Thru A Hole in the Flag

"Time is the Image of Eternity."

Time is the Fire in which we burn.

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 14 Jan 2008, 22:46

Aylyn -- I want to check out if I'm a drooling blob because I don't want someone to have to deal with me in that condition. I wouldn't know anything, since my brain would Jello with holes in it.

Kernos -- no Summerlands?

scopulus
OBOD Ovate

Post by scopulus » 15 Jan 2008, 10:45

my biggest fear is to not find a life partner, and not have any progeny of my family.
That being said, im also afraid of rottweilers and sheppards.

oh yeah, and not being liked. That last im living at moment, togheter with the first one...
So i guess ill get better in facing my fears with a day ;)

Blessings.
Words, mere words, Vivid, clear and sometimes Cruel!!!
Yet ... they have a subtle magic in them.

'Oscar Wilde' The picture of Dorian Gray.

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Post by Aylyn » 15 Jan 2008, 10:47

Twig wrote:Aylyn -- I want to check out if I'm a drooling blob because I don't want someone to have to deal with me in that condition. I wouldn't know anything, since my brain would Jello with holes in it.

Kernos -- no Summerlands?
Now who wouldn't? I certainly do not plan to spend my life as a vegetable. However, since it does not hurt, I am not so fazed about it. Someone, a few years ago, said he had to stop studying the bardic grade for fear of going mad, and I thought: Wouldn't that be great? Lose your mind, start seeing things in a totally different way? And Who knows, maybe vegetables are happy... :yay:

I firmly believe in the Summerlands, I do not think that there is nothing at the end. So much energy goes into maintaining iving existence, I believe there is a greater plan....

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Paul Mitchell

Post by Paul Mitchell » 15 Jan 2008, 10:52

I used to work in nursing and care homes when I was younger. There is a different sort of dignity apparent in many old people in these places, many of whom suffer from various illnesses that rob them of their independence. I don't want to end up in a nursing home, but my experience tells me that it isn't all bad. Should you be facing the prospect at some point I hope you can feel the same way.

I gear things happening to my son, and my big fear is that the world into which he grows will be one run as a totalitarian state. I fear he, and all the rest of the people, will be ruled over. That humanity will give way to controling social order. I try to keep an eye on these things and challenge them should I see these things raise their heads, disguised in so many ways, and unwittingly adopted by others.
Check out http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/ragingpagan
or... if you like your English Folk locked and loaded.. http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/madmagdalen

Bracken
OBOD Druid

Post by Bracken » 15 Jan 2008, 11:29

Drooling blob? Vegetable?
Your compassion and understanding is overwhelming. :)

Return to “The Common Quest”