What are you afraid of?

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Adara

Re: What are you afraid of?

Post by Adara » 15 Jan 2008, 18:46

my biggest fear is others seeing me as totally insignificant.

...oh, and spiders. waaaay too many legs.

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 15 Jan 2008, 20:14

:-) If I am a drooling blob, I wouldn't know how to feel compassion for myself.
"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

llunaticraven

Post by llunaticraven » 16 Jan 2008, 01:43

The only thing I truely, down deep in my guts fear is fire. Have no idea where it comes from since I have never had any bad experiences with it, and it holds a wicked facination for me, I still have a deep respectful fear of it.
Llunaticraven
"there is widom in a ravens head"

Merlin Stargazer
OBOD Bard

Post by Merlin Stargazer » 16 Jan 2008, 02:11

Going to sleep one night and never waking up again
"But we were dragons. We were supposed to be cruel, cunning, heartless, and terrible.
But this much I can tell you ape, we never burned and tortured and ripped one another apart and called it morality."
- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 16 Jan 2008, 02:29

Adara -- Maybe it only matters if *you* see yourself as significant?

Great avatar!

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate
Location: Avalon...upon my Dragon, journeying to Anglesey and the Isle of Merlyn

Post by Lady Nimue » 16 Jan 2008, 05:21

Oh Adara.....you are welcomed here as a new member, and a significant part of this community.
Please have no fear of insignifigance.
Lady Nimue-
Guardian of "MERLYN'S GROVE AT AVALON GLYN"...... a Certified OBOD Sacred Grove and Certified National Wildlife Refuge.
"I Walk with the Animals"

ImageImageImageImagegive vegitarianism a try!

Twig
OBOD Bard

Post by Twig » 16 Jan 2008, 07:23

Hear, hear! I second that emotion!!

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Post by Aylyn » 16 Jan 2008, 12:04

Merlin Stargazer wrote:Going to sleep one night and never waking up again
Funny, isn't it, how somebodies biggest fear can be someones hope? IMO, that would be the best way to go and I sincerely hope that I will die like this. I have found the road to the Summerlands twice now in my dreams. In both dreams, however, I did not take it as there was something VERY urgent I needed to do first before taking the road, but I would have loved to go. I think that if I ever take this road, I will not wake up in the morning.... And it sis comforting, for me, to know it is there...

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Merlin Stargazer
OBOD Bard

Post by Merlin Stargazer » 16 Jan 2008, 12:41

Aylyn wrote:
Funny, isn't it, how somebodies biggest fear can be someones hope? IMO, that would be the best way to go and I sincerely hope that I will die like this. I have found the road to the Summerlands twice now in my dreams. In both dreams, however, I did not take it as there was something VERY urgent I needed to do first before taking the road, but I would have loved to go. I think that if I ever take this road, I will not wake up in the morning.... And it sis comforting, for me, to know it is there...

Hmm, well I agree it seems as the best way, perhaps i should add something to clarify it a bit.

Going to sleep and never waking up anymore (at this point), still want to live a full life :)
"But we were dragons. We were supposed to be cruel, cunning, heartless, and terrible.
But this much I can tell you ape, we never burned and tortured and ripped one another apart and called it morality."
- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

appinotter

Post by appinotter » 16 Jan 2008, 12:52

I feel for you on that one as my younger daughter suffered from that fear, she wouldn't sleep more than an hour at any time, although she couldn't tell us what was wrong and I missed any clues there might have been. The source was only revealed when she was studying hypnosis at college and a fellow student put her under, that she'd overheard a comment when very young by her father to the effect that this was all there was and she was terrified of "being not there". All's well now tho' -she sleeps like a log even if she's not totally convinced about the Summerlands and with imminent grandchildren we'll try to remember that little pitchers have big ears.

My fear is of being strangled - anything the slightest bit tight round my neck panics me out of all proportion, not sure I really want to know where that comes from...
Blessed Be,
Jane

Lady Nimue
OBOD Ovate
Location: Avalon...upon my Dragon, journeying to Anglesey and the Isle of Merlyn

Post by Lady Nimue » 16 Jan 2008, 15:11

Welcome appinotter, and llunaticraven......

I think that death is a mystery to all of us, as is Fire. IMO a healthy respect for both is wise.
Lady Nimue-
Guardian of "MERLYN'S GROVE AT AVALON GLYN"...... a Certified OBOD Sacred Grove and Certified National Wildlife Refuge.
"I Walk with the Animals"

ImageImageImageImagegive vegitarianism a try!

Kernos
OBOD Druid

Post by Kernos » 16 Jan 2008, 17:17

Oh! I believe in the Otherworld, but I FEAR I am wrong and it is just wishful thinking.

:old:
ImageImageImageHelp I'm Falling Thru A Hole in the Flag

"Time is the Image of Eternity."

Time is the Fire in which we burn.

Seabhag
OBOD Bard

Post by Seabhag » 16 Jan 2008, 18:50

Wintersundog wrote:The Greed-Heads winning

i couldn't put it better myself :)

i also fear ending my days in a nursing home although i am determind that if i do i will be like dorothy in waiting for god.

blessings

seabhag
only when the last tree had died
and the last river has been poisoned
and the last fish has been caught
will we realise that we cannot eat money
(19th century cree indian proverb)

Jaguar
OBOD Bard

Post by Jaguar » 16 Jan 2008, 19:43

I was almost attacked by a great white shark when I was a kid, so for many years that was my biggest fear. I stayed out of the ocean for over 20 years. Finally, I made myself go back in the ocean in US shark central - Hawaii (after a hefty prayer to Pele ;-) )

I agree with what others have said, being in a nursing home is a concern. I have no children to care for me, or make certain I am well treated. I was my grandmother's legal guardian for four years when she had Alzhemiers, so I know what it can do, and I've seen the horrors of nursing homes firsthand. My grandfather and his brother had it too. As gruesome as it sounds, if I'm ever diagnosed with it, I'll be taking a hefty dose of shotgun mouthwash. In the meantime, I eat well, I exercise, I do things I love, and in general to my best to age well - and remember that there is no alzheimers on my dad's side.

tyla9
OBOD Bard

Post by tyla9 » 16 Jan 2008, 21:02

I go back to greygnome and his fear of driving - i have a similar fear, cars seems like such complicated, deadly machines to me that i don't know if i will ever drive - though - i really want to conquer it so perhaps i'll try :-( . I now wish i had learned when i was 17 when i didnt have these fears, i think you get more fearful as you get older - when your young nothing seems to phase you. Everything else, spiders , snakes, mice - i can handle them with ease! Oh and i have a friend who is scared of the sea - we took her on a boat trip once and she simply hadn't realised the scale of it, and the thought of everything in it being so huge just totally freaked her out!

BB

tyla

llunaticraven

Post by llunaticraven » 17 Jan 2008, 00:40

For me going to sleep one night and not waking up again sounds like a blessing. I can only pray that this is the way the gods call me home, when you consider all the other possiblities. I am in no way diminishing the fear this provokes in others though, my fear of fire is no way rational, nope not al all.
Llunaticraven

WillowCat
OBOD Bard

Post by WillowCat » 17 Jan 2008, 22:28

My biggest fear is not for myself but for my Cats.....what would happen to them if something
happened to me? (I do plan to make provisions for them in my will....but even so......)

I do have the usual fears.....pain, suffering, not being missed when I move on......but at the
same time....i figure those are all transitory things. I do what I can to avoid them, but if they
happen, I'll just have to deal with them the best I can.

I can't say I really fear death, I see it as a doorway to another existence. But I don't want to
take that journey anytime soon....I feel I still have a lot to do and experience in this world.

llunaticraven

Post by llunaticraven » 18 Jan 2008, 03:55

WillowCat wrote:

I can't say I really fear death, I see it as a doorway to another existence. But I don't want to
take that journey anytime soon....I feel I still have a lot to do and experience in this world.
I so love that!!! Death holds no real fear for me, to be honest though I am in no hurry, I think it is probably the greatest adventure any human being can have.
Llunaticraven

Dysgwr
OBOD Druid

Post by Dysgwr » 18 Jan 2008, 14:36

Kernos wrote:Oh! I believe in the Otherworld, but I FEAR I am wrong and it is just wishful thinking.
I'm with you on that one too... :shake:
ImageImageIL 2013

OBOD Member formally known as Panoramix /|\

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Post by Donata » 19 Jan 2008, 19:37

Panoramix wrote:
Kernos wrote:Oh! I believe in the Otherworld, but I FEAR I am wrong and it is just wishful thinking.
I'm with you on that one too... :shake:
Yes, that's one of mine too. We can't know - we just have to trust - and hope we're right. And wonder if I'm delusional when I have communication from the otherworlds.

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Return to “The Common Quest”