Soul Recognition? What do you think?

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Soul Recognition? What do you think?

Postby shirley mclaren » 21 Jun 2010, 09:01

Hi all

After lunch yesterday my husband and I went up to the Rose Garden in Hampton Court so he could photograph some roses and bees. It was a pleasant afternoon. Warm and sunny. The scent of the roses was wonderful. Before we decided to leave, we both sat on a bench so Nick, my husband, could run through the photos he had taken, and pack up his camera. There were lots of people passing by - familes with kids etc. tourists etc. I rarely take notice of anyone else, but looked up just as a dad was passing by with a young girl, about 4 years old, perched on his shoulders. Something made my eyes follow them along and suddenly, the little girl looked around, directly at me, smiling broadly and waved at me, before turning around again. There was no doubt this was directly aimed at me. For a split second when our eyes met, I felt some kind of connection and felt rather emotional as if I wanted to follow her; the pull was that strong. I might add, I am not a "child/baby" person. I have no children of my own either.

I have heard about soul recognition, and I am wondering if this is it, or perhaps the soul of someone I knew who has passed on into another form.

I am sure I am not alone in this experience.

BB

Shirley

Shirley
ALL THAT WE ARE IS THE RESULT OF WHAT WE HAVE THOUGHT

treegod
OBOD Druid

Re: Soul Recognition? What do you think?

Postby treegod » 21 Jun 2010, 10:32

I saw the title and thought "Yes". And looking at the rest I still say yes. :)

And it happens better with children than most adults, they aren't so socially conditioned. It's when the spark behind your own eye recognised that there is a spark behind the eye of the other, there is a person there, not just the image of a person.

I have it with my nephew, even at a very young age (he'd about 16 months now) his eyes met mine. But that was encouraged, that contact with our inner sparks, whereas often babies are just treated as another "thing", a bag of potatoes, too stupid to really know or recognise anything. And that is what they become.

You know in the film Avatar there is the tradition of "I see you" when you greet someone. It's really like that.

I see YOU.

That's something amazing, isn't it? :huh: :grin:

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 21 Jun 2010, 10:38

Thanks Treegod

This is indeed food for thought.

BB

Shirley
ALL THAT WE ARE IS THE RESULT OF WHAT WE HAVE THOUGHT

Argenta

Postby Argenta » 21 Jun 2010, 12:58

In my case, it's not really about what I think, it's about what I've experienced. And it happened enough times to say with utmost certainty that yes, it is not only possible it's something that might have a profound influence on our lives if we took more heed of it.

All the important people in my life were "recognized" rather than introduced. It happened with my husband, with both my best friends, with a colleague that became a dear friend and confidante, and with a shaman lady I've never even met but "felt" and contacted on-line (it might sound silly, or unbelievable, but it's true). If I recognize someone immediately, we will have a lasting and meaningful relationship, of whatever kind. All the others are a different category, and although we might be friends, acquaintances, or whatever, it's never the same as with that first group. I haven't had many extraordinary experiences in life, but this one thing has always been my guide in relationships, and it has never let me down.

The Celtic idea of anam chara partly relies on this, if I understood it correctly:
According to Celtic spiritual tradition, the soul shines all around the body like a luminous cloud. When you are very open ~ appreciative and trusting ~ with another person, your two souls flow together. This deeply felt bond with another person means you have found your anam cara, or "Soul Friend." Your anam cara always beholds your light and beauty, and accepts you for who you truly are. In Celtic spirituality, the anam cara friendship awakens the fullness and mystery of your life. You are joined in an ancient and eternal union with humanity that cuts across all barriers of time, convention, philosophy, and definition. When you are blessed with an anam cara, the Irish believe, you have arrived at that most sacred place
Edit: Source: http://www.lifestreamcenter.net/anam_cara.htm (This was the most concise explanation, there are better ones, especially by John O'Donohue)
I am not young enough to know everything. (O.W.)

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 21 Jun 2010, 14:12

I had this at my first OBOD camp, shortly after I arrived I saw this lady she saw me and there was mutual recognition, perhaps in the rarified atmosphere of the camp it was easier to acknowledge and speak together, but I have never felt anything so powerful, I knew that we had known each other previously and she felt the same. I felt totally stupid when I had to leave as tears were trickling down my face, I felt we had been closely related to each other.
A person at the camp said that for us progress with our separate lives from different parts of the country and meet together at that moment in time we must surely have known one another previously in another life.
I agree that on a different level you can see someone and know you will be friends just as you can see someone else and not like them for any tangible reason, but whether that is instinct or something you pick up with your other senses I'm not sure, but the soul recognition thing was in a different league altogether very very powerful and unmistakable when it happens, -at least for me!
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

Argenta

Postby Argenta » 21 Jun 2010, 17:20

I agree that on a different level you can see someone and know you will be friends just as you can see someone else and not like them for any tangible reason, but whether that is instinct or something you pick up with your other senses I'm not sure, but the soul recognition thing was in a different league altogether very very powerful and unmistakable when it happens, -at least for me!
I'm not sure if you're speaking about my post, but that wasn't my point: it's not about me liking or not liking someone. It's about seeing them and understanding that instant I've known them before and that I'll be sharing something valuable and special with them in this lifetime as well. For some reason, this recognition, in my case at least, doesn't work for those who are passers-by in my life. I've never felt it for someone I'd never see again.

By the way, that was a wonderful story you shared!
I am not young enough to know everything. (O.W.)

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 22 Jun 2010, 00:09

Yes, I've experienced that instant recognition several times. With some we've been able to sit down and 'remember' our past life connection! Why not? think how many people you've interacted with in this life, including those not necessarily the most important people in our current life. I'm sure we carry the memories of knowing others, so it makes sense to me that we'll have that instant recognition when we meet again.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Postby Zylah » 28 Jun 2010, 23:09

What Donata said. :) I've met people I certainly knew in other lifetimes, and one in particular has a sort of synergy with me that helps us remember specifics of certain times; vaguer ideas of other times as well. At least one person here is someone I've certainly known and loved very well before. :cloud9:

I must add that this recognition, while it always serves a purpose in this lifetime (and I believe that if we remember things there is a relevant reason to this time), is not always a joy. I have recognized two people in particular who were dear to me previously, who are extremely damaged now, and who have broken my heart with their choices in this lifetime - even when they, too, recognized me. It is not an easy thing; but I believe it is always an honor and a blessing, even when it brings a burden of sorrow.
Where the forest murmurs there is music: ancient, everlasting.
- Fiona MacLeod

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Nightfalls
OBOD Bard

Postby Nightfalls » 29 Jun 2010, 06:20

Do you guys know anything about kids? Every time i go to a store i always run into a different kid riding in their moms cart. The kid always gives me an intense stare. Even when i smile and wave and say hi to them or try to be friendly, they have such an intense look on their face and keep staring at me. Do kids have some sort of soul recognition or maybe deeper insights? Perhaps they are more sensitive to power being emitted or auras. It could just be me being awesome :fly:
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Postby Zylah » 08 Jul 2010, 23:57

LOL Nightfalls - of course it's you being awesome. :D

As for kids, provided you are not an object of curiosity (blue and green hair, prominent piercings, a second head or third arm, that kind of thing) that would provoke staring, then I - who am admittedly no expert at all - would think you're on the right track. I've experienced both kinds of staring, depending how I dress and how prominent my tattoo & piercings are, as well as where I am at the time. The look kids give you when they glimpse something familiar, or something they're drawn to, is almost startled, then very intense.

Have you tried reaching out on a silent, intuitive soul-level? I have found that although kids often don't respond to outer gestures of friendship (smiles, etc) they warm up quickly if you put your intention in the light, so to speak; put your soul in your smile; let them see the childlike side of you, without the obligatory mucking around and masks of adults. I had a little girl follow me around the store a couple of weeks ago, and it happens every now and then. Same with animals : )
- Fiona MacLeod

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Nightfalls
OBOD Bard

Postby Nightfalls » 09 Jul 2010, 03:52

The other day the same thing happened, it was a little girl. I put on the biggest smile i could manage and nodded at her, kind of trying to reach out to her with...my aura?? i dont know how to describe it, some kind of power that i cant see. Anyways it must have hit on target cause she immediately smiled back and started bouncing around and laughing. Made for a pleasant trip to the supermarket. :cloud9:
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serpentia » 09 Jul 2010, 12:08

Yes, I know that experience as well and what's even more, I have known it to happen by e-mail, too.. the force that seems to be behind this does not limit itself to our understanding of reality, I think. And it is most pronounced and wonderful of course if that "significant other" has the same revelation and without saying anything, you both know what is happening.

And they are all different, too. And they don't always lead to real-life, in-depth friendships. One I have not seen in a year and a half, but when we were on the phone, SLAP there it was.

Isn't it great to be alive - and consious?

Serpentia
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

treegod
OBOD Druid

Postby treegod » 09 Jul 2010, 21:53

Isn't it great to be alive - and consious?
*nodding vigorously* :shake: :shake: :shake: :grin:

Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Postby Zylah » 10 Jul 2010, 21:25

Nightfalls, :)

Serpentia, YES - to everything you said. :grin:
- Fiona MacLeod

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 01 Nov 2010, 20:29

Its Autumn now, how do you feel now? I find that sometimes I meet someone and years later they stand out in my mind. Other times, I might have to reminded that I know someone. It depends a lot on the surrounding circumstances.

It was probably just because young children have not been trained to be more inhibited in some ways and so she wanted to acknowledge that you had noticed her. That's probably what it really was. :idea:

Return to “The Common Quest”