Will they return?

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Muddy Fox

Re: Will they return?

Post by Muddy Fox » 17 Jun 2011, 23:08

Hawthorn_Ent wrote:Myrde,

I gotta say. I enjoy conversations with you. And you got it right when you called me " old " chap! :-)

Yeah, I know the Bible has been changed numbers of times and Revelation is part of all that. I just go with what I think I know, see and believe. My father and I often have debates on biblical subjects. He is a bit more bitter on those than I. But I am open to new ideas and observations and to be only 19 years old your knowledge on such things is really good. Probably superior to my own. Thanks for giving me much to think about.

Last night I found myself reading the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Alphabet of Ben Sira. I have some information on Jewish myths, etc in book form as well as some books on the apocrypha and other so-called " missing " books of the Bible. And the Internet is also a good place to do research.

Lilith has always sparked a considerable interest with me, since I learned of her about 20 years ago. I am not exactly sure why. Sarah Mclachlan's " Lilith Fair " got me interested in who the mythological Lilith was.

And Sarah is damn hot! I'd do her in a heartbeat and not be worth a sh*t for days afterwards. :grin:

Myrde

Post by Myrde » 18 Jun 2011, 00:06

Hawthorn, you somehow managed to make me respect you all the more, and merely shake my head is disbelief at that post. To that, I merely Face-Palm.
Heddwen wrote:
Hawthorn_Ent wrote:
Lilith has always sparked a considerable interest with me, since I learned of her about 20 years ago. I am not exactly sure why. Sarah Mclachlan's " Lilith Fair " got me interested in who the mythological Lilith was.
Although the Lilith of the biblical era is far removed in some ways from her triple goddess matriarchal feminist associations in pagan terms.
Heddwen, not disrespect insteaded but... where ze hell are you pulling THAT out of?! :blink: *blinks in bewilderment* What in the name of Merlin's most baggy trousers are you talking about? What on Earth does Lilith have to do with the Triple-Goddess concept, if at all? I understand she is a feminist symbol and arch-figure occasionally, but wha? Are we talking Neo-Paganism and Wicca here, or something else entirely?

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Post by Heddwen » 18 Jun 2011, 09:15

:-) If only I could remember the author of the book! It may simply have been called 'Lilith'.

Here's an extract from a friends article.

" as the great serpent bride, Lilith is identified with the triple Goddess of the earlier matriarchal tribes of Canaan "

and

" Lilith was originally Lil, a distinctive storm or wind spirit which later, with the Hebrew word for night 'lagil' became Lilith,"

" Lilith the younger is Naamh, the Maiden and seductress, Lilith the ancient one is child killer. hag and snatcher, while Lilith as her real self is mother of the "mixed multitude" the Goddess of Life, Death and the Revolving Sword."

Blaidd Du

http://www.yoni.com/bitchf/lilith.shtml sheds a little info on the Pagan connotations, which may well (by Merlins baggy trousers) be more neo pagan than in fact anything else.This is something I'm fairly interested in as I'm exploring my ancestral heritage.

HEnt has a great taste in music btw I adore 'Lilith Fair, The Water is Wide' by Sarah Maclachlan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgqN_L_5W-s

Huathe

Post by Huathe » 19 Jun 2011, 03:17

Heddwen,

I see some parallels between Lilith and the Welsh Blodeuwedd too. Lilith and Blodeuwedd are both rebels against the husbands that were chosen for them, both are very beautiful and both are associated with owls. The word " treacherous " has been used to describe both of them.

I like the song you provided the link to. I think it was from the initial Lilith Fair tour ( 1997-99 ). That tour was the best. The 2010 one was decent but the lineup of stars in my opinion was not as diverse or as good as the original one. I too prefer the music of the 90's over that of today. Minus rap on both accounts.

Sarah Mclachlan has an angelic voice. Certainly among my favorites. I like Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Norah Jones, Diana Krall and Kellin Watson, as well.

Huathe ( Hawthorn Ent ).
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Post by Heddwen » 20 Jun 2011, 18:04

Great choice Huathe. Both Blodeuwedd and Lilith are very much misunderstood. Perhaps because the myths were written in more patriarchal times.

Myrde

Post by Myrde » 20 Jun 2011, 18:16

Blargh. Bloddeuwedd, though her tale is beautiful, I feel is almost TOO over used admisdt the Pagan groups, from what Ive seen thus far.

Morgan Le Fae and Nimue... those are women who suffered true inujustices. And lets not forget, however, the kind and gentle Sadhbh. Her tale is the most pronounced.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Post by Heddwen » 20 Jun 2011, 18:43

Myrde, I'm not quite sure what you mean there but anyway at the moment I am trying to work with the deities of my ancestors and of the Land where I live. I spent a lot of time learning and honouring the deities and myths of other places and now feel the need to honour my roots. I am happy that others take such an interest in Welsh tales too. You are quite right, the are other beautiful tales/deities that are less well known and deserve to be understood (and told) too. In this way we preserve them for our descendants.

dvawlqos

Post by dvawlqos » 27 Jul 2011, 02:05

Something has to give. I think that we're living a lifestyle that cant sustain, and therefore the spirits will have to do something.
Much that was called religion has carried an unconscious attitude of hostility toward life. True religion must teach that life is filled with joys pleasing to the eye of God, that knowledge without action is empty. All men must see that the teaching of religion by rules and rote is largely a hoax. The proper teaching is recognized with ease. You can know it without fail because it awakens within you that sensation which tells you this is something you’ve always known.

Conclusion of the "Commentaries" in "Appendix II: The Religion of Dune"

Return to “The Common Quest”