Druid take on incident

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Nightwolf

Druid take on incident

Post by Nightwolf » 27 May 2011, 21:37

Not long ago I was in my yard with my wife and I noticed a dog walking up the road. It was a hunting dog, not uncommon in my area. He had a collar on so It yelled at him to come to me. I did not know who's dog it was never seen it before. The collar had no name on it. My wife and I left for work and I noticed the dog setting at the top of my driveway looking at me as I backed down the drive. I did not put much thought into it all day. When I came home from work that night, a mile from my house I turned a steep curve and there in the middle of the road was the dog. Someone had hit him and he was still alive. I stopped in the middle of the road and noticed his hip was broke and he was at deaths door. I picked him up and put him in the back of the truck and drove home. I called around and nobody knew anything about the dog. I knew I was not going to let him suffer so I drove back in the mountains, it was late. I had to put him down. Before I brought the dog peace, I placed him on the ground. For a moment I felt the dog stare at me as I said some prayers. I gave him a burial and ever since then I feel the dog's spirit has never left me. It's not a unpleasant feeling, it's like his spirit keeps me company, which I have many spirits that are with me. Why did the dog pick me. I am animistic and a lover of animals.

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Re: Druid take on incident

Post by Explorer » 28 May 2011, 08:05

Well done, all of it. Thank you for sharing this story.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Nicholaas

Post by Nicholaas » 29 May 2011, 01:55

Not to nit-pick or Monday-morning quarterback the situation, but my first thought upon reading it was: was there a vet nearby?
"Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe. Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you. Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature. From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return."
-Marcus Aurelius

Nightwolf

Post by Nightwolf » 30 May 2011, 02:13

Nicholaas wrote:Not to nit-pick or Monday-morning quarterback the situation, but my first thought upon reading it was: was there a vet nearby?
Not where I live, it was 12:00 at night and the vet couldn't have done anything. It would have took longer to get to a vet than the final incident occured.

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Post by wyeuro » 01 Jun 2011, 04:28

i agree that you did the right thing. there was a soul communication happening and that mattered more. it's true that we are not material beings aspiring to spirit, we are spirits incarnate, and when the spirit is up front, the loss of the body is less painful than being trapped in it when you've indicated that you want release. seems you have a familiar spirit, night wolf, or anyway, the dog does seem to have come to you on a spiritual impulse rather than a material one, and refusing his gift would have been undruidic imo, and very sad.
it's poignant though that he made you be the agent of his death. accepting death as a life-process and not the end of life, is a major step for any shaman.
very beautiful story and well-told.
wyverne

Huathe

Post by Huathe » 01 Jun 2011, 05:26

Nightwolf,

You did the right thing concerning that poor dog. Isn't it odd that people can award another animal a graceful exit to life while not legally being able to show the same grace to one of our own kind. It is kinda strange.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Return to “The Common Quest”