Hereditary Druid

This Forum is dedicated to the Druidic search for the underlying meaning of life, the unifying nature of our common humanity, and our interconnectedness in the search for truth.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
druidinthemist

Hereditary Druid

Postby druidinthemist » 15 May 2014, 20:17

Hi,

what is the diffference between a hereditary druid and a learned druid, besides the obvious. what is a 'hedge druid'. could you explain the celtic folklore found in hereditary druid practices.

thank you,
druidinthemist

treegod
OBOD Druid

Re: Hereditary Druid

Postby treegod » 16 May 2014, 09:05

A rough overview:

Hereditary druidry is, as the name suggests, druidry that is transmitted within the family, through generations. For some this may mean just a few generations; for other, they may claim that their lineage goes back to pre-Christian times (this is somewhat suspect). It's possible that they and their family have participated in cultural practices that date back to this time, thought perhaps it isn't "druidry".

Learnt druidry is something you come to later in life, and is usually found from outside the family. You are not born into druidry (or a druid family) you are initiated into it.

Hedge druidry is the druidry of an individual practiced outside a druid order. In the same way that hedge witchcraft is witchcraft practices outside a coven.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 16 May 2014, 11:54

i would stay the summers at my father's mother's house in the country. my grandmother was very much a solitary figure. she tended huge gardens on her hands and knees but wanted little social contact except for family. it is from this woman that i was passed down the gift. we know little about her. she grew up in Saskatchewan and we don't think she had any siblings. when she was elevenish her father was kicked in the head by a horse and died immediately. in 1920, a woman alone with a young girl, was in dire circumstances. it is this time we think she was farmed out to families as a cook/maid/slave. she must have been very vulnerable. we know nothing of what happened to her mother. We know her maiden name was Glover and that she was 100% Irish--when and how she came over from Ireland we will never know.

my older cousin, Mark, would stay with her in the summers before me. he got the gift as well. that made three of us in three generations of our family. when he had his awakening it was a bad time. Mark was uneducated, so he had no way to frame what he was experiencing. his parents tried to get him in a psychiatric hospital. i spent a bit of time with him then and knew from my education and experience that he did not have a malady like bipolar or schizophrenia. neither did he come across as clear thinking--a little foggy perhaps which is understandable. he told me he had to back away from it that i was there to fulfill our destiny. hi parents bought him a little house next to theirs and he spends his days scrubbling floors and walls, etc. in the summer he sweeps the railroad tracks and streets (he lives in a very small town). in the winter he snowblows everyone out.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 21 May 2014, 21:31

I spent my childhood living on an island. cross one bridge and you were in town. i remember, as a child, during summer vacation waking to find the sun shining in my window and across my bed. this is perhaps the greatest greeting we can get--the summer sun. i would get dressed quickly and be out the door, not returning for several hours. i would walk through the woods searching for an oak tree. i don't know why, no one ever told me they had significance. i think it was because i loved the shape of the leaves all rounded. i found a row of four oak trees alongside a dredging company's offices. i would spend many an hour just being with them. as an adult i decided to go be with my trees after many years. i was saddened to find them chopped down. i keep a medicine bag filled with oak leaves slung over the headboard of my bed. perhaps that is why i sleep so well.

druidinthemist

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 22 May 2014, 23:34

What is the "gift" of which you speak?

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 23 May 2014, 02:21

xidia,

my grandmother was a druid and this 'gift' was passed down to me. my cousin looked upon this hereditary state as a burden. i see it as a gift. as having this website is a gift. i have learned a great deal about what it means to be a druid. i have known most of it in my own experience but this place has given me the words to describe the experiences. it is one thing to chose this spiritual philosophy, but to be born into it adds a dimension of responsibility.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 23 May 2014, 03:01

nollaig.

i have touched on all your questions in other postings (if your interested look them up). i discussed my work place accident and all that came with it. i discuss my awakening and how this saved me. i also discuss the visitation of spirits that aided me in the intellectual combat i found myself in--they guided me through the maze and gave me knowledge to stay a few steps ahead of my foe. 'truth' was the greatest gift i was given. and 'truth' is how i live my life. it may sound like a burden, and at the beginning of one's journey, if they chose that path, it is. some spirits guided me to the truth path, and it is my duty and responsibility to share the gifts by being a stronger more supportive person. i am no longer the person i was in my earlier life. i am a more caring and 'truth'ful person.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 23 May 2014, 03:57

the way i use the word 'truth' is not philosophical, but spiritual. all the queries you have made have been dealt with in my prior postings. there are about twelve of them. i came here to share my experiences and look for others that have had similar experiences. you asking how heriditary druidism manifests itself in me or my life has to be answered by the words 'i am'. i have never not been a druid so i don't know who you want me to describe for you. if you have a moment look at some of the other postings and you will see that i have touched on every aspect of my druidry. druidinthemist

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 23 May 2014, 11:26

I've read a number of your other postings. I see a lot of life experience, and a great deal of metaphysical experience, which is wonderful.

Druidry as practised by OBODies tends to the practical. We commune, we visit in nature, we celebrate the changing seasons, we seek to express the awen (flowing inspiration) immanent in all things. How do you express your Druidry, your gift?

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 23 May 2014, 12:45

it is wonderful that you can share your gift in such a social way.

i am afraid my experience is not like that. i am still recovering physically from my mishap. i could write a book about that experience and what has come from it but i doubt if anyone would believe it. there are two of me, one pre- and one post-accident. i found myself in conflict with a truly cruel and, if i might use the term, evil, group of individuals. had i not had the strenghths and gifts and a couple of good people on my side i would have been destroyed. i used to be quite social, but i learned to distrust people and spend most of my time alone or with my wife and daughter. i like laughter and we have a small group that meet in the summer for bonfires and the winter for get togethers. i go about my way in the world just trying to be the best person that i can be. this can be difficult when my injuries flare up, or when i run into one of 'those' people. this may sound cruel but i enjoy their discomfort as they race about to get away from me. i am not a saint. and i never will be. i am very much human who has been abused terribly. but things are improving. i just have to get used to the pace. i don't think it is said anywhere that druids, historically, were without their flaws.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 23 May 2014, 14:28

nolliag,

you ask who knows about my gifts: i was up against about one hundred people from company execs, to union officials, most of t he workers at the mill i worked at, the doctors and physiotherapists, the people they contacted from my past to tarnish my reputation. you see there were a lot of people at first against me. then i picked the right time and came forward with the fact that i was a druid. this scared a lot of people, and piqued the interest of others. so today, many people know who i am. i brought forward the crow and scared the hell out of friend and foe. i did not mean to frighten my few friends, just show them what the others are uup against. the arrogant ones became like children fearing monsters under their bed. a lot of these people ran for the hills and i know of at least one 'old' friend that moved to a small town a few hours from me. i wanted and needed the spirits to fill them all with fear. i spit curses at one person who was particularly troublesome and it cast a shadow over her life. she knows lonliness, and despair.

you see nolliag, not all a hereditary druid does is sickeningly sweet. life, my life, does not work that way. and i make no apologies for it. druidinthemist

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 24 May 2014, 15:55

(..)i was up against about one hundred people from company execs, to union officials, most of t he workers at the mill i worked at, the doctors and physiotherapists, the people they contacted from my past to tarnish my reputation. you see there were a lot of people at first against me. then i picked the right time and came forward with the fact that i was a druid. (..) i wanted and needed the spirits to fill them all with fear. i spit curses at one person who was particularly troublesome and it cast a shadow over her life. she knows lonliness, and despair.
you see nolliag, not all a hereditary druid does is sickeningly sweet. life, my life, does not work that way. and i make no apologies for it. druidinthemist
Hi druidinthemist, Nollaig and Xidia are making a good point, and you of course have no need to apologise. We do what we can, the job in front of us if you like.

Your state of war and many things you say are familiar from a similarly "gifted" - or "cursed", depending on how you look at it - person that I know very well. She is not the easiest human being, and has fought like hell all her life in very difficult, even brutal circumstances. It is no exaggeration to say that she has fought for her sanity and her existence for 70% of her life. Here's the thing though. The battle is now won, by and large, as it seems to be for you. And as you've said elsewhere, there are huge responsibilities on your shoulders as an hereditary.
Think on. Some probable truths.
1. Only the gravely injured can make true healers. (e.g. Fisher King myth)
2. There is a responsibility use one's gifts to the best advantage.
3. You have been led to this board for a reason.
It's my view that you might want to start exploring a further aspect of your gift. Some of us here are Grail questers, but the nature of the Grail is disputed, it is even disputed whether it is called that. I agree with Michael Moorcock, that it is (in one emanation at least) a cure for the word's pain. Only those who have suffered can find that cure, and in finding it positively affect all those that they come into contact with. The myths; Bunyan, Arthur, legends of all sorts tell of a journey of purification through trial before the heart's desire can be attained. Having read your story I think that you have successfully taken two out of three very difficult steps and are poised to come into your true gift, if you will accept it from yourself.
There's no need to reply to this if you don't want to, just think on it.
S :)
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 24 May 2014, 17:02

i will now share something i have only told one other (a druid). it freeked him out so bad he ran for the hillls and his footsteps can still be heard. in the midst of my magic time, which lasted about ten years off and on. i was spending a large part of my days sitting onmy power spot in the back yard. i felt safe there but a lot of the time i was weak physically. I went into the house to shower up and get in my bathrobe and headed back out to my power spot. at this time a lot of things happened around me and i just took it all in. i probably should have prayed, but i really didn't see myself as religious at all. there was the ringing bush in the front yard. it is a dogwood and when i sat next to it one night it began to shake and sounded like so many small bells. there were the two visits from the spirit world. a circle of black with no center, made up of short lines that spun but the circle didn't get any larger. from this vision came a profound feeling of peace and humility. There were a lot of special happenings that needed to be sorted through and hopefully found the meaning behind them. I sat on my power spot and thought of some of these visitations. i stood up at the center of my power spot, dropped my bathrobe, and stepped off of my power spot. i was iin a total trance not knowing anything. my wife watching through the window said it looked like i was being thrown around the back yard. i finally came to, i was laying on my chest in the dew. i went in the house where my wife and brother were. my brother had been called by my wife. i looked down, not allowing them to meet my gaze. i had my bathrobe on, and i felt a heaviness in my eyes. My gaze would have been very potent and one thing that is true of all i have been through is i never wanted to pass the buck. they were my thoughts and visitations and would remain.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 24 May 2014, 17:23

thanks for your message. one said one huge truth: the war is over. now it is time to head on into forest to see where my bliss takes me. (thanks Joseph Campbell).

thanks for your message Sciethe.

p.s. it troubles me when asked if you have a spiritual connection show it. prove it. and if you can't prove it your deluded.

the spirits, some have form some do not. i would rather turn it around and say that if you demand the 'truth' you will never see it. i have become angry at times here because i have been challenged like this. i am not a circus freak. the spirits come when they come. they are not with me all the time. but i never doubt their presence when i get in need of assistance. of the one hundred or so people in Thunder Bay who know me about 15-20 have seen the spirits in physical form if you will.

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 25 May 2014, 19:29

p.s. it troubles me when asked if you have a spiritual connection show it. prove it. and if you can't prove it your deluded.
Well there are very good reasons why virtually all spiritual paths advise against sharing such things with others. The main one being the problem of the ego, people sometimes talk about their experiences as a way of stoking their own ego. Even if this is not the case it can spark a reaction in those who have not had such experiences so that their own ego is hurt and inflamed as a consequence. Then there is the dilution of the experience, to expose it to ridicule and mockery is tiring and troubling as you have found out. Also the power trip can lead to developing power rather than wisdom; you have said that you have used your gifts to intimidate, frighten and harm which does not sound particularly wise when you could have advised, persuaded and helped.

There a phrase often used in Druidry and Wicca that I find very useful "to know, to dare, to will and to keep silent". To get results from a spiritual path we have to know, to gather the information and the wisdom necessary to practice effectively. We have to dare, to step out of the comfort zone and rise above our petty, ego-driven desires in order to grow spiritually. We have to will, to use our willpower and determination to keep going when it is all falling apart around us, and it will at some point in every spiritual life. Finally we have to keep silent, to keep our experiences in the correct personal context and to develop an inner calmness when dealing with such phenomena.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 25 May 2014, 21:13

I agree wholeheartedly with Badger Bob ( love the new avatar btw) . I think its important to remember that you may not be the only one that has 'gifts'. This is a druid forum after all! and certainly not the only one that has a claim on a hereditary link, although I can't claim this myself and I understand from previous discussions here that hereditary druids are few and far between.

Addressing the ego is one of the most important and difficult parts of being a druid. There is no hierarchy here, we are all equals. Some are even atheist druids who have little or no belief in a higher power or of otherworldly experiences. This is no matter here, we come to this point to connect and share...not always amicably though! I'm sorry that you've had negative experiences and reactions towards your 'gifts' in the past, it seems to be par for the course. Although I think you'll find that there are some accepting places on this forum, check out 'the art of the seer' section.

with best wishes,

Heddwen.

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 25 May 2014, 21:44

i have always had trouble with certain people. when 'evildoers' are afoot and cause harm to others almost everyone to a person runs to support the one being harmful. i am the opposite. before choosing a side i make sure i am supporting the one being harmed. i was faced with the most harmful, destructive people i could ever imagine having to deal with. people like yourselves perhaps choose sides for different reasons. he speaks of spirtual gifts so he must be at fault. he must have a huge ego as he claims to be different than us. welll perhaps the difference is in that some of you have led sheltered lives where the worst of the worst could not get to you. here we are indeed very different. i have not led such a sheltered existence, and do not feel the need to shelter those with my forgiveness. one can be humble and not pardon every evil bastard on the planet.

druidinthemist

Sciethe
OBOD Ovate

Postby Sciethe » 25 May 2014, 23:07

one can be humble and not pardon every evil bastard on the planet.
This is very true, for some of us this statement represents a struggle with corporations like Monsanto, whaling ships etc. the list is long, sometimes more personal and closer to home, sometimes more general. I don't think a single one of us would deny that there are destructive forces in the world which must ideally be opposed with courage and determination and, importantly, whilst at the same time focussing on the love of nature or goodness, not hatred of the damaging force or person. Hatred is a poisoning force which inevitably warps the psyche, and leaves a person in the power of the hated object.
when 'evildoers' are afoot and cause harm to others almost everyone to a person runs to support the one being harmful.
Yes, I've noticed that happening at times. A psychological explanation might be that powerless people tend to identify with the aggressor. :where:
welll perhaps the difference is in that some of you have led sheltered lives where the worst of the worst could not get to you. here we are indeed very different. druidinthemist
I'm not sure that this is quite fair, grotesque injustices and violences both psychic and physical regrettably abound everywhere. We all know others that have experienced the rejection that you describe, some paying a considerable personal price to be themselves in a hostile section of society. We all deal with it in our various ways. Heddwen is right that we share a great deal in terms of psychic experiences. That is to say that lots of us recognise and personally understand your story on a deep level.

Heddwen is also right that hereditary Druids are extremely rare. I personally know only one with a definite cast-iron claim to the deliberate passing down of a gift, and I used to run Pagan events for the whole South of England, so I've met quite a few Druids of various sorts, as you can imagine. I think there are a few more who don't talk about it. Then there are quite a few with gifts that are clearly what we would call psychic (although it's disputed among Druids whether the experiences and effects are mundane or spiritual in origin) and they have come from families where this gift is naturally passed down the generations but not formalised as Druidry. There are rather more of these, and I think that they have a hereditary claim also.

It's true what Badger Bob says, that psychic gifts are usually best kept to oneself in open society. It is sadly usual for such claims, however true, to be met with derision at best, and hatred at worst. Not here though. Again Heddwen directs you rightly, the arts of the seer is a good example of a forum on this board for discussions of that sort. :D
S
For in his morning orisons he loves the sun and the sun loves him. For he is of the tribe of Tiger. Christopher Smart

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 29 May 2014, 17:16

Life is taking a peaceful turn. before i found this site, i had a head full of experiences that i wanted to share with anyone. the backyard is no longer a place to go for rejuvenation. other than a rare meeting in public, i have nothing to sling me back into my battle stance. i like to watch my crows hopping in the grass and sitting up on the hydro wires. i try to imagine what message they would have for me or are they just checking up on my progress. i put myself out there in a big way at this website. to live a truthful existence i find you mustn't keep secrets. you put your truth out there and test the waters. i now have a friend of the family to update on the spiritual front. she is fascinated by the whole druid thing. i thank all for their comments, even those i disagreed with. when you live by the truth you put everythiing on the scale and sometimes find a personal truth that needs adjusting. i must be fearless in this exercise if i am going to perceive my world with clarity. thank you all agaiin. druidinthemist

druidinthemist

Postby druidinthemist » 14 Jun 2014, 13:11

i am in that special state and have been for days. it is a beautiful place and all is at peace. i wrote a letter to the editor of our local paper. i do this when something troubles me. i write from the heart and hold nothing back. this one was concerning the native people in our region. home for most is called the Mission and it is onlly a few kilometers from town. it dealt with racism. i have a special relationship with the natives. when i was a child we would go visit Walter and Jane (two, of many friends of my parents). as soon as i walked in she would approach my blond haired brother and rough up his hair, but this one and she would give me a huge hug, there is something special about this one. native people who are in touch with their spirituality are very perceptive. sad to see this generation losing that. on the subject of natives, my mother remembers as a little girl (living in the backwoods of Ombobika) being asked to come for supper in a family's tee pee. i will enjoy this time and seek out connections from which i can grow from.

Return to “The Common Quest”